2. Row - 3 x 8 @ 140lbs

3. DB Pullover - 3 x 15 @ 50lbs

4. Deadlift - 3 x 10 @ 165lbs

5. HighKnees/Buttkicks - 3 x 60 seconds

6. Front Squat - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

7. Pullups - 3 x 10

8. Bar Twist - 3 x 12* @ 80lbs

9. EZ Curls - 3 x 10 @ 70lbs

So happy to have my pullup bar back in action. I was worried that my lats were wasting away without any solid training; though I suppose all of the rows have been doing the trick as well. Was interrupted by the final fence guy who came earlier than expected. However, I was able to get right back into things after he left. So, my wife made some pasta shells, with this cashew/tofu ricotta "cheese" that we are having for dinner tonight. I'll post up some pics. Also included is some bruschetta, which is (a) one of my favorite things, and (b) something I haven't had in many years.

I need to rethink my training days a little bit, I suppose. I feel like I'm not getting in enough full body days, or just segmenting a little too much. I can tell I am making some strength gains, but I also worry a bit about my cardio being neglected. Like leg days, sometimes you just have to force yourself to do HIIT stuff. I'll be back on Monday. Have a good weekend!

Oh, having an interesting Belgian farmhouse/saison beer tonight that I've been sitting on for a few months, called Halia. It's made by Goose Island, and is brewed with peaches, and aged in a white wine barrel. Here's a link to its reviews on BeerAdvocate: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/68362/

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a beer that would go well with that meal... mmmmmm!

Nice training session there as well, how long did that take you to get through?

Thanks mate. The beer was tasty, but a bit boozy for me. I tend to like lower ABV beers. This one was 7.5%, which really isn't that high, but when you add in the barrel aging, the alcohol tends to shine through if that makes sense. Also, I was particularly sensitive last night given my cold symptoms. Probably shouldn't have had any beer at all, but I couldn't resist. Saturday training usually takes me about an hour, maybe an hour and fifteen minutes. I actually had a segment for direct core training as well, but I figured that I could skip that because I trained core directly a couple days prior. Also (and here's the real reason), I was getting hungry haha.

Ate waaayyy too much of the bread last night. I very very rarely have bread (maybe twice in the last year), and so when I do, I tend to go overboard. No training today, and I also think I am coming down with a cold. Stuffy, sneezes, and a bit of medicine head as well. Hopefully it's just due to all of the dust and shit kicked into the air by the warmer weather. One thing is for sure, I can't stop eating! Hopefully it will pass in a day or so, and I can get back to training.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014:

Upper Body Day

1. Close Grip Bench Press - 3 x 12 @ 120lbs

2. Bent Over Row - 3 x 12 @ 120lbs

3. PullUps - 3 x 10

4. Delt Raise - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

5. EZ Bar Curl - 3 x 10 @ 70lbs

6. Dips - 3 x 30

Probably should not have trained today, as I am still feeling a little ill - and I have a pretty significant toothache. Headed to the dentist tomorrow I fuckin hate the damn dentist! I hope it goes quickly, and with little discomfort. I've been feeling so hungry lately, like I can't get enough to eat. For example, last night I had a pretty sizeable bowl of soup, and felt famished right after. What's up with that?

Anyway, wish me luck with the dentist tomorrow - I'm pretty nervous. Haven't been in years (like 5), and I'm not looking forward to an awkward situation, and the drill. Fuck...

I might take tomorrow off from training, but if I do, it will be core focused. Maybe I'll get some pain meds!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014:

Core Day

(3 Rounds, as a circuit, rest 60 seconds between rounds)

1. Weighted Decline SitUp x 12 @ 25lbs

2. Lo-Hi Woodchopper x 12* @ 25lbs / 3rd round was decline negative crunch x 15

3. Side Plan w/ Rotation x 15*

4. Bicycle Abs x 50*

5. Side Bends x 15* @ 45lbs

Nothing special today, just getting something in to keep up. Went to the dentist this morning, got a very long overdue cleaning. Found out that I need eight fillings Will have as many of them done as possible tomorrow morning And will then come home for the day. Not sure if I will train tomorrow or not. Probably not. But if I did, it would be lower body focused - which is why I'm betting that I don't train at all.

Pissed at myself at the moment...

Weight is up to nearly 158, and holding/raising a little. That is annoying to me. Unless it is muscle gain - then it's ok I guess. ha

Back soon.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Leg Day:

1. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 165lbs

2. Angle Lunge - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

...And.... That's it. Got caught up doing something else in the middle of my session, and just didn't feel like getting back into it once I had time. I actually felt too hungry, tired, and just kind of irritated. Also, had three fillings done today on the old chompers, which was pretty horrible. Worst part is that one of them is "too high," so my teeth don't sit properly on one another; meaning that I will have to go back and get it adjusted - probably when I go back for the other five damn fillings. I'll train on Saturday, and make sure to hit legs heavier than usual. But, today, it just wasn't meant to be.

This is probably a really silly question, but why deadlifts on leg day? I wouldnt consider this to be much of a leg exercise compared to, say a squat.

This is actually an interesting question... I've always noticed deadlifts engage the hamstring, possibly more than any other muscle "area," but it appears we are both wrong. According to Wikipedia, Arnold Schwarzenegger's lifting site, and a host of other "authority," deadlifts are "one of the three canonical powerlifting exercises, along with the squat and bench press." The exercise, in its traditional variety, apparently works the following, leg specific: (1) gluteus maximus; (2) hamstrings; (3) quadriceps; and (4) adductor magnus. In addition to lower body, it also works grip, various abdominals, and, as you likely indicate, a majority of the back muscles. Also, hips, and forearms. Basically, short of biceps, it works the whole damn body, and is the most badass exercise of all, ever!

Here's my source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlift#Muscles_involved, and http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/deadlift-101, and many others.

Good question mate!

Saturday, March 29, 2014:

Saturday Hyper Pump

1. BB Bench - 4 x 15 @ 135lbs

2. Bent Over Row - 4 x 15 @ 100lbs

3. Front Raise - 4 x 15 @ 25lbs

4. Sumo Squat - 3 x 12 @ 150lbs

5. Squat Jump - 3 x 12

6. Single Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 45lbs

7. Pullups - 3 x 10

8. DB Snatch - 3 x 10 @ 35lbs

9. Curls - 3 x 10 @ 70lbs

Felt really great to get some solid training in today, especially after a stressful week of dental work, and other shit. It was also nice to change up the training a bit, and focus on higher reps/lower weight. Going to make some seriously delicious Indian food tonight, paired with a solid IPA. Definitely need to kick back a little. Supposed to be in the 60's tomorrow, so will be making sure to get outside for some vitamin D. I've noticed that I've been pretty depressed lately, and I think it's due to the shit weather we've been having since, oh I dunno, say November?

I'm still feeling so hungry all the time. Trying to keep calories low in the face of near constant hunger is pretty difficult. Maybe I should just let it go for a few days, and then return to cutting. Still thinking of doing 80/10/10, but worried about the cost. Seems like it would be pretty expensive to do here in the city.

Anyhow, enough for today - I need to get rolling. Have a good weekend everyone.

Well it's a solo boys night gentlemen, as my wife is out for a bachelorette party (or hen night, correct?). Just wanted to post up what I made/had for dinner: Rajma Masala, Tabbouleh, hummus, and the Moon Man Pale Ale from New Glarus. It was awesome! Remember how I said I was always hungry? Not anymore! haha.

IndiaNight.jpeg.d70ec77feeccd6155814f46afbf9a64b.jpeg

Thanks for that. If in doubt I usually consult Arnie's site! I guess with the actual standing action it would be quite leg intensive!

Thanks for answering!

No problem! I knew it was a total body exercise, but not to that extent! Good to get some new knowledge in the ol' noggin.

Chris! Really missed talking to you buddy! How's everything been?? Just looking throb your journal and you've been killing it

Interesting with the single leg deadlift, I've never tried doing those before, I think I would probably fall over...

Hey buddy! Welcome back from holiday! Did you guys have fun? I feel like I've been lazier than usual, but I'm glad someone thinks I'm giving it a go. The single leg deadlift (SLDL) can be tricky, but it's good for building balance! I won't lie, I have to keep a couple fingers on the wall to keep from toppling over and knocking my head off haha.

I've started in on the raw diet, 80/10/10 thing. So far so good - but only day 2 really. It requires quite an increase in actual consumption. That's really the hard part. This morning for breakfast I had 4 dates, a banana, and a chunk of watermelon the size of my head - and that was only 360 calories!

Tuesday, April 1, 2014:

Had a gigantic steak for lunch, then bought a half dozen fur coats, then went to McDonald's and ate up ALL of the chicken nuggets I could afford!

HAHAHA April Fools!

It wasn't meat day - but it was....

TRX Day

(Circuit, 3x, Rest 1 min)

1. Chest Press x 20

2. Row x 15

3. Pistol Squats x 12*

4. Hamstring Curl x 20

5. Pike x 15

6. Side Plank Dips x 12*

7. Bicep Curl x 15

8. Tricep Press x 15

It was nice to mix it up today and bust out the TRX. Haven't trained with those in a long time, and felt like I needed a little change of pace. It's pretty amazing how challenging bodyweight training can be! Anyhow, eating super clean - and mostly fruit (a ton of medjool dates). Haven't felt hungry, but have had some difficult getting down all of the bulk that comes with eating 100% raw. For breakfast I had 4 dates, a banana, and a hunk of watermelon the size of my head. Snack was 3 plums, lunch was a huge salad, and another plum, snack was a pear, and some almonds, dinner will be another huge salad, and then some more fruit before bed.

Speaking of, I'm starving!

Nice work getting all of that fruit into you, sounds tough but kinda cool at the same time.

What does TRX stand for?

Thanks mate, it's a good thing I love fruit! Today for lunch I'll be having a mono-meal of bananas. I've never just sat and consumed multiple bananas before, but I'm willing to bet it will be an experience to behold! haha

TRX is a brand of suspension trainer - it probably stands for something stupid like "Total Resistance Xtreme!" Here is their website: http://www.trxtraining.com/. They have all kinds of attachments, and other stuff. They also cost $200+. So, I went with an off-brand, or "ring trainer," which sells for about $45. There are a ton of them on the market; just do a quick Amazon search for "Suspension Trainer." I just call the things I have "TRX" on here for ease. They are fun to use, and something to mix up training a bit when I get bored with weights (is that possible?).

Wednesday, April 2, 2014:

Hi-Lo Split - Heavy/Hyper Finish

1. BB Bench - 4 x 8 @ 160lbs (meant to do 170lbs, but miscounted weights)

2. Row - 4 x 8 @ 140lbs

3. Deadlift - 4 x 10 @ 170lbs

4. Sumo Squat - 4 x 10 @ 167.5

5. BB Bench - 3 x 15 @ 135lbs

6. Front Raise - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

So like an idiot I miscounted my weights, and forgot to add an extra 10lbs to my first round of bench. Thus, to punish myself for the oversight (or undersight), I changed things up and added some hypertrophy bench work at the end. Wanted to get some shoulder strength back in order after taking some time off from focusing due to likely injury. The 160lbs felt pretty good, honestly, as did the deadlifts - I did them Romanian style. It was also nice to get a couple full body days in this week. I'll focus on core tomorrow, and then add in a full body hypertrophy day on Saturday.

Food is right on track, and super clean. I haven't eaten a single processed item since.......... Last Saturday? Yep. The hummus. I can tell my stomach is getting super stretchy to accomodate all the bulk. Check out this ridiculous salad I had for dinner!

SuperSalad.jpeg.bb3b6ac9fadf385db9bf07e33c10eb80.jpeg

Worst April fools joke ever! Ahha, food looks good man, so you're pretty much raw now right? That must take some doing

Totally raw for the past three days man. I'm actually down some body fat, and a couple pounds, which is good. However, I do find myself missing hot food - so maybe it takes some getting used to. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Thursday, April 3, 2014:

Core Day

(3 Rounds, Rest 45 Seconds Between)

1. Decline Crunch w/ Pulse x 12

2. Weighted Decline Situp x 12 @ 25lbs

3. Side Plank w/ Rotation x 12*

4. Bicycle Abs x 60

5. Side Bends x 15* @ 45lbs

6. Hanging Knee Raise x 15

Felt great to get this in. Those Bicycle Abs are killer! Also, I may be on to something here with the diet... Just this week, after cutting out grains, my stomach is flatter, and I feel like my muscles are popping through. Most importantly, I noticed my scale body fat % has dipped below 18% - on the scale that is. I recall that the number on the scale differed by two (higher) when compared to a reading from that hand held "Omron" thing... I think I may get some calipers, and learn how to use them. Taking tomorrow of for rest, and then hitting it hard on Saturday.

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Saturday Pump

1. BB Bench - 4 x 15 @ 140lbs

2. Row - 4 x 15 @ 100lbs

3. DB Clean - 4 x 15* @ 35lbs

4. Deadlift - 3 x 10 @ 170lbs

5. Lunge Jump - 3 x 18

6. Bulgarian Split Squat - 3 x 12 @ 60lbs

7. Pullups - 3 x 10

8. Decline DB Bench - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

9. Bicep Curl - 3 x 15 @ 50lbs

Pretty tired after this, and had to stop midway for a snack. I think I started too late in the day, and ran into my regular lunch time. I certainly cannot train on an empty stomach, or hungry in any way. Felt like I was going to pass out after those deadlifts, and got pretty shaky. So, that means low blood sugar, and time to eat! Speaking of... I need to have some lunch!

BTW, breakfast was a mango, 2 bananas, 5 dates, and 12oz of watermelon, blended into a smoothie. 490 cals.