My Progress Diary

This is my first diary and Im new to this as well, so any feedback would be much appreciated.

Im 5ft2, I weight 57kgs (more than I thought ) My goal is to shed some fat, my fat is particularly around my tummy, thighs and bottom.

Right now Ive been doing an all over workout at the gym monday, wednesday and friday, with warm up cardio of 10 mins before and 20 mins HIIT afterwards. On tuesdays and thursdays I do 40 mins HIIT using the treadmill and bike. Im working on a training programme so I can split up my body parts but am struggling with this at the moment, as Im unsure if I need to work one body part a week or twice a week? I have to go slow because I have HMJS and injuries in my hips.

My food today:

Brekkie: bowl of porridge and green tea

post work out: banana

lunch(within 1 hour of being at the gym): 40g soya chunks cooked with peanut butter, with spinach leaves, radishes, tomatoes, cucumber, flax seed, nutritional yeast, teaspoon of picalily.

Snack: handful of walnuts

Dinner: 4 boiled spuds, soya mince, mixed veggies and veggie gravy

Snack: apple

I also drink 2 litres of water, not including the herbal teas I have and I do have 1 cup of decaf coffee a day (not ideal i know)

Today at the gym I did cardio only.

I find that Im full of energy when Ive been to the gym but then I crash badly about an hour after, is this just my body getting used to being active or something else?

Hey, thanks for sharing. When I started training, I found that I would usually need a nap about an hour after training, so maybe its a bit of adaptation (a/k/a growing) pains. Bananas are quickly utilized by the body, so I think it's good that you are adding those in directly after training. When I first started training, 94lbs ago, I did full body routines every time I trained. I did a lot of HIIT cardio at first, which really helped with weight loss. After about 2-3 months, I started adding in weights. Depending on the type of HIIT stuff you are doing, you might consider adding in some bodyweight resistance training, like pushups, dips, squats, lunges, crunches, and oblique exercises. The style I like to train in combines both strength (resistance) and power (HIIT based, explosive movements - like squat jumps). Personally, I feel that is the best way to make advances, not only for adding muscle, but building power, as well as toning the body.

Straight cardio is good for burning calories, but too much and you'll start to burn off muscle; especially if you are keeping calories low. Speaking of calories . . . Diet is 80%+ of the whole thing. If your diet sucks, you can train til your eyes bleed, and not make an ounce of progress. Anyway, I'd focus on getting as many whole foods into your diet as possible. Focus on greens, fruits, and natural (unprocessed) sources of protein. If you want to cut calories to accelerate your weight loss, you need to know how many your body needs to maintain your current weight. In order to lose 1lb per week, you need to cut 3,500 calories from your diet - aka 500 calories per day. Don't let your number fall below 1,200 calories per day.

Look through some of the other training blogs for a variety of exercises. I'd say if you have a solid routine you like, you should change it up every four weeks. The body adapts amazingly well, and you'll start to notice a stall in progress after too long. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, I have to be really careful with putting too much stress on my joints because they dislocate easier, so Im only doing treadmill and bikes at the moment, but am hoping once I can uild up the muscle around my joints, Ill be able to increase the intensity of my workouts.

Ive been working on my training routine, and this is what Ive come up with, this is my first time doing something like this so any feedback, good or bad is welcomed

Monday - Chest and Triceps

Tuesday- Cardio/abs

Wednesday- Back and Biceps

Thursday- Cardio/abs

Friday- Legs and Shoulders

Monday:

10 mins warmup on bike

Chest: chest press,chest fly

Triceps: standing tricep extension, standing bent over one arm dumbbell row,tricep pushdown

Tuesday:

10 mins warmup on bike

Abs: reverse crunch,crunch hands overhead, dumbbell side bend

20mins HIIT

Wednesday:

10 mins warmup on bike

Back: Lateral pull down,Leverage High Row,Pelvic Tilt Into Bridge

Biceps: machine preacher curls, alternate bicep curls,

Thursday:

10 mins warmup on bike

Abs: reverse crunch,crunch hands overhead, dumbbell side bend

20mins HIIT

Friday:

10 mins warmup on bike

Legs: leg extensions,calf press on leg press machine,leg curl

Shoulders: Shoulder press,One-Arm Side Laterals,Front Two-Dumbbell Raise

Im going to do this for 4 weeks, then change it around and track my progress. How does this look please? x

hey and welcome training looks good you can always add more or less if and when you feel you need to. i would personaly do shoulders with chest and tris as they get used quite alot when working those 2 muscles so they are already warmed up and got some blood flowing to them, and just do legs on their own but thats just personal preference all seems good either way. like the tats and piercings btw.

Hey, thank you Am i doing enough on leg day then and should I work another muscle group with legs or just do legs? If I clump chest, shoulders and tris together, do I need to cut back on the amount of exercises Im doing or just continue with the 3 for each muscle group like Ive put down?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to find my feet lol

x

no worries about the questions, thats what this place is for! im no means an expert but happy to help if i can. i would do legs abs and a bit of cardio, you could do whatever you fancy as far as the chest shoulders and tris are concerned. 3 sets chest, 2 tris, 2 shoulders........or 3 sets on each its upto you, there is no hard and fast rules, just enjoy it and find what works for you, i barely train my shoulders as i find they grow from the other things like bench press and so on. dont stress too much about a set here, a set there and so on, some days you may feel like doing 5 sets somedays maybe skip an exercise and do something else. hope i have been some help and not just confused you

• 1 month later...