Rob's High Intensity Training Log

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mate,

If training alone i would use a negative only dip rather than chest press, but if I've a training partner present, i use chest press and have them help lift me to the top position, i feel less stress in my shoulder with the chest press machine.

Thanks for the reply. Negative dips are fantastic, a great way to finish off a chest session as well IMO.

Totally agree, when you've exhausted your positive strength, and cant actually lift anymore, there's still negative strength left in the tank:)

Out of interest, the blood panel test you had, is that something provided by your GP, and is it something you have to pay for? I've always wondered if my test levels are anywhere near where they should be.

Hi Andi,

Yes mate, i get a check up done once or twice a year at my GP's, which includes a panel of blood work (due to the health issues i had/have), i just asked for the extra test which my doc was fine with. I would see no harm in asking your GP for to get your test levels checked:)

This mornings Leg workout...

1. Seated Leg Press

9 mini cluster sets of 5 reps

2. Leg Extension

3 mini cluster sets of 5 reps

3. Seated Leg Curl

4 mini cluster sets of 5 reps

4. Hip Belt Calf Raise

6 mini cluster sets of 5 reps

10 second rest pauses between cluster sets, went with lighter resistance and a faster piston like cadence, more contractions per unit etc. Helluva of a pump:)

Taking things up a notch....

Shifting more focus on to strength / progressive overload, so there's going to be some changes to my routine...

Instead of one main working to failure per movement, i'll be working up to a weight and staying there for 2-3 working sets, however NOT to failure. I want to avoid straining, so when i can no longer accelerate the resistance, the set will be terminated.

I'm be using more free weight work, however movements that are still congruent with my bodytype...

Still only going to train no more than twice per week, my body does not bounce back well from more than that, any more usually results in diminishing return.

Longer rest times between sets and exercises, so in this case yes, YES some cardiovascular will be added (speed rope skipping and heavy bag work 2 x 12-20 minutes per week).

Diet wise, i'm back intermittent fasting again, daily 8 hour feeding window / 16 hour fasts...

Today's workout was upper body...

1. Incline BB Bench Press

2. Flat D-B Bench Press

3. Underhand Chin

4. Rear Delt Flye Machine

5. D-B Lateral Raise

6. BB Curl

7. Rope Press-down

Today's food...

12.30pm

Large bowl of oatmeal, with crushed pineapple, flaked almonds and rice milk

2.45pm

Chilli Con Corne, made with quorn mince, kidney beans, chopped tomatoes, onions etc and Jasmine rice

workout 4.30pm

5.30pm

fruit smoothe

6.30pm

leek and potato soup and crusty bread

8.30pm

Whole grain cereal with rice milk

No eggs or dairy today:)

This afternoons workout (trained fasted, completed a 22 hour fast today, felt great:)

1. Seated Leg Press

2. Seated Calf Raise

3. Weighted Back Extension

4. Seated Leg Curl

5. Ab Machine

Broke my fast today at 6pm, had whole grain rice with chickpea's, vegetables and 3 scrambled eggs mixed in. Then at 9pm had i'd a baked potato with cheese and salad, and then Greek style Yogurt with honey. Feel good:)

Edited by HIT Rob

Hey mate,

Yeah mate, building up to two 24 hour fasts per week again, did this last year, its actually not that bad, had boundless energy:) Fat loss is one reason why i do this, but the main reason is for the many other health benefits IF brings to the table.

All's good here buddy, though it'll soon be marching season here, that means more troubles, flag protests, road blockages etc, bores me. All good your end mate?

Keep up the good work, nice to see another person enjoying the benefits of fasting!

Have a great weekend MF.

Thanks mate,

I think the reason we don't hear more about IFing is because there's no money to be made from it, but the research into it is eye opening to say the least.

Anyho, have a great week mate

Rob

So of late I've not been training to failure, 1-2 reps shy of failure, for 2 working sets per exercise, i have however increased the frequency of my training till 3x per week, alternating between upper body / lower body & ab workouts.

Completed a 24 hour fast at 6pm today...

6pm

4 omega 3 enriched cage free eggs (cooked in grass fed cattle's butter)

1 slices of whole grain toast

2 tps of flaxseed millet sprinkled the eggs

7pm

Training (Legs & Abs)

8.30pm

200grams of wild Alaskan salmon fillets cooked in coconut oil

75grams of white long grain rice

Greens

Been going lower in carbs and higher in fat, imo for fat loss, its not just about creating a caloric deficit, but also getting in body into the proper hormonal state.

looks good Rob how are you enjoying the training?, i must admit it some times feels nice to not go all out 1set to the death some times dont mention salmon thats one thing i really miss smoked salmon on toast.

Hey buddy,

Id been mulling over a few things in my head with regards to training to failure this last few months, that is, we know intense training is a must for stimulating growth, we know progressive overload is another factor, but training to failure has never been a requirement. Now, don't get me wrong, i still fully believe that there's only one best way to train, ie intense, brief and reasonable infrequently, but i'm beginning to believe training to failure may have been retarding my progress. This Pete Sisco article is what got me thinking http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sisco2.htm.

Am also now trying to avoid straining, once i can no longer accelerate the weight i terminate the set, i no longer want to reach the point were the weight comes to an almost grinding halt, its here blood pressure sky rockets.

Yes mate, decided to add in a bit of oily fish into my diet everyday, I've taken all the dairy out of my diet again (bar a very small amount of butter for to cook my eggs in), i could feel that shit clogging up my chest after only a few days.

All good with yourself mate:)

interesting stuff as usual Rob, does that mean static holds would be one of the most blood pressure increasing ways to train? i know i have had headaches from straining super hard in the past so i assumed it was the huge rise in blood pressure. maybe you just needed a new kind of stimulus rather than just harder contractions if you have been doing HIT for a good while!?

ill go read that article now, yeh all good here thanks pal

Hey mate,

All forms of intense physical stress will cause a blood pressure increase, isometric included. What ya don't want though, is to drive it up even further unnecessary by over straining, try to relax your face and neck as best you can, dont gripping handles too tightly and making sure to breath properly (avoiding the valsalva maneuver).

The main problem with static holds is your not getting the venous blood return back to the heart, not good for people like me with a history of stroke or those with heart problems. A safer way to preform static holds would be to perform rest pause statics, rather than one prolonged hold, perform 2-3 10 second holds, with 10 second rest pauses.

Yeah mate, just giving my CNS a wee break lol, as Lee Haney used to say "stimulate, not annihilate"

Take it easy

Rob

Had a great day today, it was me and my wife's 9th wedding anniversary and 17th year together, we went for a workout, then for a nice long walk around the marina of our home town, were we seen a wee otter swimming around the rocks as it was getting dark, it stopped what it was doing and came right up to us to have a noisy, then went off about its business, love it when a wild creature decides to spent a wee bit of time with ya:) We then went and had a nice meal together...good times:)

Today's workout was upper body

1. Incline Smith Machine Bench Press - 2 working sets of 6 reps @ 90kgs

2. Seated Chest Supported Row Machine - 2 working sets of 8 reps @ 87.5kgs

3. Dips - 2 working sets of 8 reps @ BW

4. EZ-Curl Bar Curls - 2 working sets of 8 reps @ 42.5kgs

Since am taking my time between sets, i followed the workout up with some HIIT on a cross-trainer for 18 minutes. No sets were to failure, am adding a little weight to the bar on every movement, every workout. Back to just two workouts per week, three workouts per week is proving to be of no additional benefit. Although, since upping my frequency by just one day extra per week, my left shoulder has began to fair up a bit, been managing the problem with an anti inflammatory gel, so am hoping the decreased frequency helps. Anyho, legs are up next on Wednesday or Thursday. Later's

My leg workout this afternoon...

1. Leg Press - 2 working sets of 12 @ stack

2. Leg Curl - 2 working sets of 10 reps @ 75kgs

3. Calf Press - 2 working sets of 10 reps @ stack

4. Cable Crunch Machine - 2 working sets of 15, 12 @ stack

No sets were to complete failure...

Today's food...

Breakfast - 4 cage free omega-3 enriched eggs, cooked in butter, 1 slice of dry whole wheat seeded toast

Lunch - Tuna spicy salsa salad with mixed nuts

Post workout - 1 scoop of whey protein (24 grams) with coconut butter added

Dinner - Mackerel, greens and a glass of red wine

Since my carb intake is low, am keeping my fat intake high, protein is sitting at around 140-150 grams. Eating this way has me feeling less bloated and less lethargic. My hunger also seems more suppressed.

Over the last few weeks I've become more and more engrossed in the work of Dr Art De Vany and his "evolutionary fitness", its kinda of a combination of a paleo /Mediterranean diet (without the bread, pasta's and dairy).

Changes I've made to my diet....

1. I've cut of all grains, starches, dairy and legumes from my diet. (once or twice a week i have a non paleo treat, an ice cream, chocolate bar, something like that).

2. I've cut out snacking, I'm consuming 2-3 big meals per day, and on the days i consume only 2 meals (fasting) I've began taking BCAA's, this has made the fasting much easier:)

3. I've stopped counting calories, commend and control diets have never been a part of our history.

4. For balance, I've began taking a fish oil supplement with every meal that contains saturated fat.

So far, I've haven't felt as good as i do in years, and am only a few weeks in, in fact I've been able to halve the amount/dose of meds i take daily for my lower back, my bad knee has been feeling a lot better, moreover my energy levels are better even ever, and I've also had no bloating from consuming lots of heavy carbs. In the upcoming weeks, I'll be (for the first time in over a decade) bringing free range / grass-fed meats back into my diet, i'll see how i go, at the moment i'm consuming just a lot of fresh wild fish, fruits and vegetables, nuts, olive oil, eggs and I've began having a glass of red wine most nights. This is something i see myself carrying on with for the foreseeable future.

Easy on the wine Rob

LOL, tbh i don't actually like it, tastes like vinegar (too me), but i read and hear its good for the heart and blood. Just a wee experiment, maybe i should just eat more red grapes instead:)

Go for the grapes !! Wine/alcohol being good for you is pure myth; in relation to it being consumed in the Mediterranean well yes they do, but it's nearly always celebratory drinking rather than everyday drinking for the sake of drinking.

I can go into more detail if you wanted to ~ I've spent a fair bit of time researching alcohol and its' relationship to health. Usually the media, magazines etc that report on the 'Mediterranean Diet' get the alcohol part of their diet significantly incorrect