Training for my first 100km mountain race, Jan 2016

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you doing any lifting these days or just focusing on endurance training? Was watching your training videos earlier to get me fired up for my workout, really good stuff:)

Thanks for checking in mate, hope you liked the videos

Pretty much just running at the moment Rob. Occasionally I'll call in to the gym and do some weights just to keep some sort of muscle definition, but not a patch on what I used to train like. That's why I'm not really logging them right now, I tend to like focusing solely on either the lifting or running and right now my goal is to knock off a fast marathon (well fast for my not-very-fast legs anyway). So after a bit of downtime after the off road marathon I think it's about time to get locked in and serious.

Emphasis now is on continuing to get faster as the distance gets longer, with the goal of being able to hold 5min/km pace for the marathon distance. Plan to get out for a decent length run tonight, hopefully around 20km then I'm meeting a mate in the morning at Hagley Park... let's go

Hey mate,

Indeed, loved the training vids, particularity the "day of the DL" and Bench Press vids, i also like your styler D-B presses, i used a similar hand position myself, i feel it a lot more in my pecs, plus it puts a lot less stress on the shoulder joints.

Good luck with the marathon mate, no doubt you'll do well:)

Best

Rob

Amazing run last night coming off three days rest, haven't felt that strong in a long time!

WEDNESDAY 26th MARCH

RUN TYPE: TEMPO

INTENSITY: 7/10

DIST: 16.7km

TIME: 1.20:41

HEART RATE NOT RECORDED

CALORIES: 1,252 (931cal/hr)

AVE SPD: 12.4kph

AVE PCE: 4.50min/km

MAX SPD: 16.37kph

MAX PCE: 3.39min/km

Here's a little clip from the promoters of the Motatapu off road marathon

http://www.odt.co.nz/files/featured_gallery/2009/03/10_38am_liz_nuttall_during_the_motatapu_marathon_n_1769136194.JPG

http://www.iconicadventures.co.nz/assets/Uploads/44.jpg

Never underestimate the river crossings !!!!

That is beautiful running!

Yes, it sure is!

Well I haven't had much time to run these last few days as I have busy organising and promoting a seminar on health, nutrition and longevity (with a large focus on veganism, fasting and preventable disease)...

10003915_10152064278773720_1291737291_n.jpg

I am hosting it on behalf of my health store, it's going to be a busy night with around 60 people booked to attend. Just about to get ready to head down to the venue now, planning on a good couple of hours running in the morning to unwind and relax the mindg

TUESDAY 1st APRIL

RUN TYPE: RELAXED FASTED MORNING RUN

INTENSITY: 5/10

PRE-RUN BODYWEIGHT: 129.8

POST-RUN BODYWEIGHT: 128.8

DIST: 5.3km

TIME: 25:40

CALORIES: 383 (897cal/hr)

AVE SPD: 12.37kph

AVE PCE: 4.51min/km

MAX SPD: 15.15kph

MAX PCE: 3.57min/km

+ 50 pressups when I got back from the run

James! You've been busy bro! How do you feel running on an empty stomach? I strangely enjoy training on no food haha

I do like my morning fasted runs. I feel lighter and full of energy (I make sure I have eaten well the previous evening) and I find I'm fine in a fasted state for any distance up until around the 10km mark. Anything longer than that and I'd probably eat something as I'd hate to run out of energy and have to walk back home lol.

Lunch.jpg.11a3571c13bcc89e814169f75ad46775.jpg

Awesome salad, made heaps so it's also my lunch today.

Treated myself to a new pair of running shoes as I think my current ones have close to 800km in them. I really like the ethics of Brooks as a company and I get the impression they are consciously trying to reduce their carbon footprint; plus if they're good enough for Chrissie Wellington they're sure going to be good enough for me

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/download/file.php?id=3472

THURSDAY 3rd APRIL

RUN TYPE: TEMPO

SHOES: BROOKS 'GHOST'

INTENSITY: 7/10

PRE-RUN BODYWEIGHT: 131.6

POST-RUN BODYWEIGHT: 130.2

*PB*

DIST: 11.7km

TIME: 55:02

CALORIES: 890 (970cal/hr)

AVE SPD: 12.71kph

AVE PCE: 4.43min/km

MAX SPD: 16.04kph

MAX PCE: 3.44min/km

POST-RUN RECOVERY:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/download/file.php?id=3473

Pea protein, almond milk, spirulina & 10g D-Ribose

Legs are feeling surprisingly fine after yesterdays effort. Just fueling up before I head out on my long run for this week, depending on how I feel will probably be somewhere between 20-30km.

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/download/file.php?id=3475

Just knocked up a nice little salad with some mixed salad greens, carrot, capsicum, kale and drizzled some mango & chili dressing over it

Awesome salad, made heaps so it's also my lunch today.

Treated myself to a new pair of running shoes as I think my current ones have close to 800km in them. I really like the ethics of Brooks as a company and I get the impression they are consciously trying to reduce their carbon footprint; plus if they're good enough for Chrissie Wellington they're sure going to be good enough for me

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/download/file.php?id=3472

Brooks always has nice shoes. I like them because they seam to have more toe room then some of the brands but sometimes I find them a bit heavy.

SATURDAY 5th APRIL

RUN TYPE: SHORT & FAST

INTENSITY: 6/10

PRE-RUN CARDIAC STRESS TEST: 1%

POST-RUN (15mins) CARDIAC STRESS TEST: 8%

DIST: 6.42km

TIME: 29:46

CALORIES: 472 (951cal/hr)

AVE SPD: 12.93kph

AVE PCE: 4.38min/km

MAX SPD: 16.43kph

MAX PCE: 3.39min/km

SUNDAY 6th APRIL

RUN TYPE: RECOVERY

INTENSITY: 3/10

POST-RUN BW: 129.8lb

MP3:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Pv0aTuZShpc/UVL_b4FZ_QI/AAAAAAAAAJE/hVERhqE7_wk/s1600/538022_464773833590492_2029389892_n+(1).jpg

DIST: 13.25km

TIME: 1.07:50

CALORIES: 974 (861cal/hr)

AVE SPD: 11.72kph

AVE PCE: 5.07min/km

MAX SPD: 15.33kph

MAX PCE: 3.54min/km

WEEKS TOTAL: 41.7km

Dude, that's probably more miles than I've ran in my entire life! I like those kicks too mate, maybe I should get a pair.

It's only 40km this week, so only about 25 miles mate. That's not really that much but the emphasis was on speed so I deliberately kept the distance on the lower side.

I'll be bringing it back up soon though, an 'average' week of marathon training for me should be somewhere between 60-80km but life, work and kids sometimes get in the way a little

I have decided that I will be changing my diet slightly from tomorrow, I am going to be fasting for at least one day out of each week and see how that affects my training. I love the concept of it and the health benefits it brings, not to mention the energy I derive from intelligently fasting throughout the course of the day

1962733_10151935058526160_1526362903_n.jpg

Some things I am implementing from tomorrow:

** First thing every morning ~ cup of warm water, 1/2 squeezed lemon, aloe juice & apple cider vinegar. This will replace my morning coffee

** No breakfast

** Lunch will be based around a salad depending on hunger, energy requirements etc

** Juicing every day ~ carrot, apple, pomegranate, kale, goji and ginger will be the main ones for these next few weeks

** More snacks through the day, increased vegetable & fruit intake

** Final meal(s) before 7pm

** Bed by 10pm

First day nearly done and feeling great. I had a carrot, apple, pomegranate, kale, goji and ginger juice about 12pm and that's carried me through until the late afternoon.

For dinner I'm just going to mix up a packet of quinoa rice I found at our local supermarket with a freshly made kale salad, avocado and a yellow & red lentil curry I made up yesterday. Hoping to get out for a quick run for an hour or so later on after the kids are in bed, that's if the rain doesn't get any heavier

827559211_Quinoarice.jpg.efa1f4d7b77a037e63195fe13b329d40.jpg

Just heading out for a morning run before work after having a few days off training.

Diet has been going well and I am feeling great as a result of juicing every day. Treated myself yesterday to a nice vege quaesadilla from a local restaurant that knows me well, they happily cater to all of my dietary requirements and look after me well. They know I like spicy foods so this time the chef made me up a hot salsa sauce with some jalapenos on the side ~ damn fine stuff

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/download/file.php?id=3487

Fasting, eh? You feel ok while doing this? I always find I get all messed up (read: disoriented, grouchy, etc.) when I don't feed myself regularly. Any trick you have?

ME TO!! Only I would have to throw in bitchy and mean.