Nutrition guide for fat loss and muscle gain - Newbie HELP

Hello everybody!

I´ve been vegan for more than 2 years now, but even that I eat very little fat (I was following 801010 diet lifestyle) I didn´t lost any fat, furthermore I gained! So I thought it´s time to change this lifestyle, dont follow 801010 anymore. I just want to be fit and happy. So that´s why I came to this forum, looking for professional advice.

I am a female 162cm tall, 60kg (I guess, I didn´t weighed myself for a long time). I would like to have some menu plan example to lose fat and gain some muscle. I am active, I exercise 3-4 times a week, doing running but also body weight exercises (that´s why I dont understand why I dont lose weight, maybe I was eating too many bananas and dates in 801010.. despites they say you cant gain weight in this lifestyle, I did).

Could somebody help me a little bit and guide me? there is so little vegan-fitness good info in the internet that I don´t want to be wrong about what I should eat and specially HOW MUCH (Ive been told so many times it doesnt matter how many calories you eat in 801010.. but I cant believe this anymore).

Thank you very much.

I want to change my life, NOW!

Hi again! Just responded to one of your other posts....haha.

Happy to try to help. Sounds like we just need to re-balance out what you're eating (and when...timing does matter). Doing it all plant-based doesn't have to be hard, just takes some planning to ensure getting good nutrition and the right balance of carbs/fats/proteins/micro-nutrients and you'll be on the way to getting your goals.

Curious, what might a typical day's meals look like for you?

Also, where to live and what generally are your fav flavors (to help with some suggestions).

That's strange because it's my first post so I don't think you replied to any other post of mine, ahahah!

I don't have a typical day, since as I said I was eating 801010 (maybe 10 bananas every meal or 15 oranges?) but I gained so many fat, and I've been in to it in and off for 2 years.. So I just want to have a optimal guide for me! I got so confused with this diet (801010) that I don't know anymore what or how much do I eat.

What I can tell you is that I take breakfast at 8am, lunch at 14h or 15h, dinner at 21h (I know it's late for most of the people, but I am Spanish and I have to stay in that schedule because of work etc).

So I am thinking maybe I will switch my diet in to something like:

Bfast: oatmeal with some fruit + soya milk-coffee

Lunch: Big salad with beans or rice

Dinner: potatoes with broccoli, or salad, or rice, or steamed vegetables

and fruit as snacks. Maybe 1700 cal a day would be enough for me.

What do you think?

Thank you. I really need some help..

Hi! Your meal plan sounds reasonable. I've been trying to help out another vegan in a unique place (Tahiti) which is challenging due to lack of many leafy greens and high cost for most of the things we can find here in USA to help round out our nutrition.

I did get someone to refer me to this link which has a sample menu too.

I'm not overly familiar with the 80/10/10 plan, but sounds like it can be confusing? When you were on 801010 it sounded to me like a LOT of fruit, which could me a lot of sugar. Keeping it simple, more calories in than you burn --> weight gain. So the notion that calories don't count is odd to me.

On a more general, well planned plant-based, whole foods diet counting calories becomes less of an issue because as you fuel up on nutrients you're body will trigger the 'I'm full' signal and you'll stop eating. Often, body feels hungry because it is lacking some nutrient or another. Part of why when hungry, chowing down on a bag of chips can give temporary relief, but then you feel hungry again - not from needing energy or calories but because body still needs same nutrients it was lacking.

SO, starting with what you listed out. A few suggestions:

- breakfast...sounds good!

- lunch: salad: try to use little/no iceburg lettuce. Use spinach, kale. More micronutrients per leaf. Add variety by changing out the kind of beans you use (black beans, chickpeas, etc.)

- dinner:

As a general list its good, simple, and easy. Probably a bit light on protein.

Consider mixing in or alternating rice with Qunioa. (Cooks like rice, really good price for it at COSTCO or in bulk at a natural grocery store, can be pricy in regular grocery store. Makes excelllent side dishes by mixing in whatever you like, also makes tasty nutritious breakfast for me!),

Have tofu in your area? Also good value from Costco. Takes some experimenting. You can scramble it like eggs, or slice it into strips and spice it and grill it in a pan to whatever consistency you like (have a good recipie that makes excellent sandwiches).

Fruit should be on your menu. Consider it as a snack or a treat. Apples good with fiber. Bananas for potassium. I find apple good as pre-workout fuel.

Sounds like you're on a good path now.

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/how-to-build-muscle-mass-on-a-plant-based-diet

Thank you !!

Of course I add fruit! I eat a lot of fruit, at least 10 pieces a day! I love fruit ! But I will adjust the macronutrient ratio because Im coming from the 801010 and now I will try to have more protein and less carbohidrates.

I also eat tons of vegetables and salads!

I don't know what COSTCO is/means, but I know where I can find Quinoa, I really love this cereal! =) About tofu.. I really hate it! the texture makes me sick ! hahaha but I will eat more legumes and beans for protein =)

Thank you for all the tips!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I just recently did the 80/10/10 diet for a month and found I had a lot of issues with it. I am not sure whether I lost weight, I definitely got smaller but almost a little bony and then toned only my major muscle groups. I also found I got really light headed and would have to stop working out on that diet even though I felt like I was eating so much. I decided this week to start incorporating more cooked foods into my diet for the added protein and energy. If you want to stay 80/10/10 I would recommend more raw nuts. Nut butters are easy to make by simply processing them alone for about ten minutes then you can add a sweetener of your choice if you need. I would process nut butters with frozen fruit to make an "ice cream" and then top it with more fruit. Bananas, nuts, grapefruit, and apples were definitely staples for me. Hope I helped!