Get Ripped or Die Trying

Just wanted to pop in here and make a quick note about something that happened today....

I had some tortilla chips, which are one of my most favorite cheat foods. Well, they were fucking horrible! Just so greasy, processed, and salty! I think this 80/10/10 thing has completely changed my palate, and in just a week's time.

So, I had to chug a liter of water to get past the vile feeling those ten chips gave me. Then, I got to thinking about how so many people in America, and the rest of the world, would eat like that regularly. My wife's boss, he is a McDonald's freak. He'll go there, and get two double cheeseburgers, a large fry, large soda, and medium fry - for the car ride - and come back to work, and give my wife shit for "probably going to end up diabetic for eating only fruits and veggies."

Anyhow, he's obviously sorely misinformed. But, I think it sucks so many people are absolutely clueless about proper nutrition. Unfortunately, there is a lot of politics surrounding food, and especially in America. A lot of hypocrisy, etc. No need to delve into the matter now... Just a rumination.

Anyway, we are planning to have pizza and beer tonight, as a cheat meal. I wonder whether I'll be able to tolerate the pizza??

Let's not even talk about the beer. That is the one thing that would actually make me sad ahaha

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Raw Departure Update

Last night we had some pizza, beer, tortilla chips, and guacamole. As I mentioned above, the tortillas were so horrible, that I sliced up some zucchini and squash for dipping instead. That was such a good idea! The pizza was ok, but I forgot to buy any daiya/soy cheese. I actually think it was way easier on me without that stuff. I did think the pizza was a bit boring. The beer: Unfortunately, an ipa was a little hard to handle, given the harshness of the hops. I still drank it though. I did have some fruit based beers after that, which were tolerable. I could still very much taste the fermentation. I guess the raw diet really did something to my tastebuds, because I was picking up on flavors in the beer I hadn't noticed before.

Anyhow, when I woke up this morning, I feel pretty awful. Dehydrated, foggy in the head (as seen by this pitifully drafted post), heartburn (for the first time in weeks), and indigestion.

So, I can't wait to get back on the diet today, and I'll probably give cheat meals, and drinking, a rest for a few weeks. I'll probably see some crazy progress in the meantime! (I hope)

Shows that your body must be running on a pretty clear system, the fact that you woke up feeling like crap and it didn't seem to be a particularly big night.

I'm sure that progress will be around the corner! You had a good weekend?

I did man thanks for asking. I think you're right. I actually weighed in this morning at 154, which I expected to be higher - but I'll take it! And no, Saturday wasn't a big night at all. I think I had maybe 3 beers, 4 tops.

Hope you are doing well buddy. How are things at the store? Business well?

Tuesday, April 8, 2014:

Upper Body Day

1. Bench - 3 x 8 @ 170lbs

2. Bent Over Row - 3 x 8 @ 140lbs

3. DB Pullover - 3 x 15 @ 50lbs

4. Delt Fly - 3 x 15 @ 50lbs

5. Aussie Pullups(!) - 3 x 15

6. Tricep Dips - 3 x 40

7. Plate Front Raise - 3 x 12 @ 35lbs

8. EZ Curl - 3 x 10 @ 70lbs

This felt great today, if not a little boring haha The "heavy" weight training always kind of bored me, especially with all of that rest time. I kept my rest here to about a minute between sets. Any longer and I start to lose focus, and start doing other things. Anyhow, energy levels are nice and high, so I can tell the diet is working pretty well. Really have to remember to eat a ton of greens on this to keep vitamins and minerals in proper range. My wife was basically just eating bananas and mangos, ended up feeling like shit on Monday. Had to make her eat a gigantic salad, which instantly turned her around. The salads I've been eating lately are ridiculous! Anyhow, I'll be back tomorrow for a solid core workout. Have a good night!

Wednesday, April 9, 2014:

Core Day

(3 rounds, rest 45 seconds between rounds)

1. Decline Leg Raise x 15

2. Mountain Climbers x 25

3. Jacknife x 15 @ 25lbs

4. Russian Twist x 15 @ 25lbs

5. Bicycle Abs x 60

6. Side Bends x 20* @ 45lbs

Blew through this today, so I probably should have done another round or two. Felt good to train core though. It always seems like I haven't trained in such a long time, but then I remember it was only a couple days past. haha Stumbled upon this awesome website today with loads of what appear to be killer workouts on them - http://neilarey.com/workouts.html Maybe I'll give some a try here and there. They are fun, at least! Weight is down to 153lbs. Also, my skin calipers arrived last night. I measured 3 times, and each time the chart says I am currently at 12% body fat - which is awesome! I figured I was still far away from my goal of 10% or less. Anyhow, legs tomorrow!

Thursday, April 10, 2014:

Leg Day

1. DB Front Squats - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

2. Squat Jumps - 3 x 15

3. Deadlift - 3 x 10 @ 170lbs

4. Lunge Kicks - 3 x 12*

5. Bulgarian Split Squat - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

6. Lunge Jumps - 3 x 18

Ugghhh I can tell I'm going to feel this tomorrow. Especially after those BulgarianSplits. Deadlifts were spot on though, got nice and low, kept the knees slightly bent - solid. So, the diet... I've felt pretty great on it so far. What's really been a relief is that I haven't restricted myself on food, for the most part, and I've stopped counting calories/measuring everything, and I'm maintaining, and/or losing weight. I can tell I'm really leaning out, which is awesome. Hopefully I'm also building mass at the same time.

I have a career-ish thing on Saturday, so I might not train until Sunday, or maybe I'll take the weekend off for some rest. (just kidding, i'll fucking train haha)

Christ man, I bet your legs are super sore still :P

What's the career thing all about?

I had a job interview yesterday about the tree climbing job, but the hours won't be enough to even pay my rent... Ahha hope you're good bud!

Yep, still sore as fuck from Thursday (today, Saturday). The career thing was a mini-fair for people interested in government law. It's something I am looking forward to after I am done working in the Circuit Court (state level court). I don't have a preference as to either federal or state level employment, but I want to be a part of something with an overarching goal, other than just lawyering for billable hours. The quality of life is better in government jobs as well, but sometimes the pay is lower (sometimes it is comparable too). Anyhow, what I've taken away from the clerkship is that I really enjoy policy based work, such as drafting legislation, or making rulings, and doing so with respect to how those decisions will affect a larger group of people, other than just those involved in the immediate case. Make sense?

Sorry yours didn't work out as expected. You'll find the perfect fit soon enough mate, just keep looking! I mean, how could they turn down those guns???

Saturday, April 11, 2014:

Saturday Hypertrophy Pump

1. Decline Bench Press - 2 x 15 @ 110lbs

2. Close Grip Bench Press - 2 x 15 @ 110lbs

3. T-Bar Row - 4 x 15 @ 105lbs

4. PullUps (wider grip) - 3 x 10

5. Front Raise - 3 x 15 @ 55lbs

6. Delt Raise - 3 x 15 @ 50lbs

7. Bicep Curl - 3 x 15 @ 55lbs

Started later today due to aforementioned career thing. Had a bit of a headache when I got home (probably due to not eating enough), so I was a bit distracted. I planned to do 4 sets of everything, but I was also a bit sapped after the first round up there (Nos. 1-3). Anyhow, still got some solid work in, I believe.

Going to this Vegan Korean place tonight called Amitabul (http://www.amitabulvegan.com/), and plan to have a few IPA's along with the spread. I'm going to get some maki rolls, one of the pancakes, and the Tibetan High Noon. Founder's All Day IPA. Should be the shit! See you Monday, or Tuesday...

I'd be curious to hear what you thought about Amitabul - I've been thinking about checking it out but it's a little bit of a hike for me from the far north side. I hope it was awesome!

Dude, Amitabul is the bomb! They seriously have some of the best maki I've ever had. Definitely worth the trip - but there is literally nothing else over there.

Are you a lawyer Chris? That's so cool! the career thing sounds super posh ahha

I saw your photo on Instagram of the vegan food place, looks ruddy awesome bud, wish there were similar places over hear, the closest thing I've found on the island is a pub run by a couple of hippies that's almost exclusively veggie lol

I am, indeed mate. The career fair was fun for sure. Hopefully I made some good contacts that will serve me well in the future.

Chicago has a bunch of vegan places man, so I feel pretty lucky. However, that pub you mention sounds pretty good too. You should come for a visit man. Have you ever been to the States?

Awesome

Would love to come for a visit bud, I went to Florida for 2weeks when I was younger but haven't been back since, I think my next few holidays are gonna be in Europe just because it's cheap and easy but still awesome ahha, will definitely come back to the states in he future though!

You ever been to the uk? Or Europe?

Tuesday, April 15, 2014:

Upper Body Day

1. BB Bench - 4 x 8 @ 170lbs

2. Bent Over Row - 4 x 8 @ 140lbs

3. Decline Aussie Pullups - 3 x 12

4. Front Raise - 3 x 12 @ 35lbs

5. EZ Curls - 3 x 10 @ 70lbs

6. Dips - 3 x 40

--

Finisher Set:

- Pushups x 50 (20 Incline Diamond, 20 Incline Wide, 10 Close Grip)

- Bent Over Row - 2 x 20 @ 70lbs

- Aussie Pullups x 12

Nice to kick the week of training off with some heavier weights. Amazed at how much energy I have these days, especially since I haven't been sleeping very well. Surely it's due to the ridiculous amount of fruit I've been eating. Here's a quick sample of my daily consumption, if you are interested:

Breakfast Smoothie - 20oz watermelon, 1 banana, 1 mango, 6 dates.

Snack 1 - 1 apple

Lunch - 4 bananas

Snack 2 - 1 apple, 1 pear, 0.8oz peanut butter

Pre-Wo - 6 dates, 12oz watermelon

Dinner - GIGANTIC salad (head of romaine, 1 leaf kale, 4 mushrooms, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 head broccoli, 1 mango, 1 tomato, 1 zucchini, 1 green onion)

Pre-Bed - 12 oz watermelon, 6 dates

Cannot get enough dates. I feel like I'm eating them exclusively. Probably too many, to be honest. Weight is holding steady around 153/154. Going to measure up body fat again maybe later this week. I can tell some parts of me are getting stronger. The rows were easier than last week, as well as the bicep curls. Bench press seems to be a weak point for me. I always feel more DOMS in my chest when I do lower weight/higher reps. That means I'm growing there, no?

Back tomorrow with legs, Thursday core, then Friday full body. Friday night is a bachelor party for a buddy of mine, so I'll be on a bender

Wednesday, April 16, 2014:

Leg Day!

1. Sumo Squat - 4 x 12 @ 170lbs

2. Squat Jump - 4 x 12

3. Deadlift - 3 x 10 @ 170lbs | 1 x 15 @ 135lbs (dropset, but should have done another at 170#)

4. Lunge Jump - 4 x 16

5. Bulgarian Split Squat - 4 x 10* @ 70lbs

6. High Knees - 4 x 40

Awesome training today! I had a shitload of energy, and probably because I ate about 10 dates, and 1lb of pineapple prior to training. I remember when I was cutting calories like crazy, I wouldn't have dreamt of allowing myself so many dates on a non-cheat day. Now, it seems no matter how many I eat, I never gain an ounce. Best benefit is that I have all the energy in the world. I should add in some cardio at the end of my strength training. It might be time to fill up the ol' punching bag, and get some rounds in!

Check out this gigantic salad I made for dinner - what a surprise!!!

2050603398_Wed.SuperSalad.jpeg.dca3e461bdfdf9fb2c81dd63a3edfc89.jpeg

That looks awesome! Lettuce, broccoli, mango, strawberries or is that red pepper?, some kind of onion/leek, mushrooms?

Yep! Red leaf lettuce, romaine, broccoli, red pepper, tomato, mango, zucchini, green onion, broccoli, and white mushrooms! No dressing. Sometimes I squeeze some orange juice over everything. Works for me!

Thursday, April 17, 2014:

Core Day

(3 Rounds, Rest 45 Seconds)

1. Incline Negative Crunch x 15

2. Weighted Decline Situp x 15 @ 25lbs

3. Side Bends x 20* @ 45lbs

4. Bicycle Abs x 60

5. Jacknife x 15 @ 25lbs

6. Side Plank w/ Rotation x 15*

Typing this out on my phone since I forgot to log earlier. Maybe I'll write more tomorrow. But for now, I'm going to bed!