Andi's crossfit and bulking journal

Crossfit - 11/04/14

Strength: 

Work up to 3RM thruster - 50kg PB!

Also managed a new 1RM in the process - 60kg PB!

WOD: 

Fran (6 minute time cap):

21-15-9

Thrusters @ 42.5kg (scaled to 30kg)

Pull ups

(Completed 6 pull ups into second set)

Rest whilst partner does their Fran, then:

Helen (12 minute time cap):

3 rounds:

400m run

21 kettlebell swings @21kg (scaled to 16kg)

12 pull ups

(Completed 3 reps of final set of kettlebell swings)

Amazing but horrible workout. Really really pleased with the two PBs in the thrusters, and after this the 30kg thruster in Fran felt ridiculously light, however it's a burning workout, with no time to rest, so they got tiring very quickly. Doing this almost immediately into Helen was nothing short of sadism. I didn't finish either workout, nor did I Rx them, but I have definitely improved at both since the last time I tried.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crossfit - 15/04/14

Warm Up:

400m run

50 double unders

Dynamic stretching

Lift:

Back squat

10 @ 50% - 45kg

7 @ 65% - 60kg

5 @ 75% - 67.5kg

2 @ 85% - 77.5kg

5 x 1 @ 90% - 82.5kg

WOD:

A:

21-15-9

Power snatch @ 40kg (scaled to 30kg)

Box jump @ 24”

Completed in 7:38

B:

Run 400m

50 pull ups

7 minute time cap

Completed 40 pull ups

Squats felt great! Even the 90% didn’t feel like too much trouble. I really think my 1RM must be higher than 90kg now, which it’s been at for over a year.

Ploughed through the first WOD. There was a 10 minute time cap, but nobody came close to using it all. If I had done this at Rx weight I would probably have either not finished in time or hurt myself in the process, so scaling was the option I chose. I do think that 40kg power snatch in a WOD is achievable now though, I just need to give it a go. All box jumps were slow, and with step downs off the box, but I kept plugging away at them.

The run in the second WOD was the hardest part, there was only about 2 minutes rest after the first workout before we were out running, so my legs were like jelly and I couldn’t hammer this as much as I wanted. The pull ups however were great! I did sets of 5 for the first 4 sets, then the others were mostly sets of 4 and 3. This is a huge improvement for where I was just weeks ago with kipping pull ups and I’m very pleased, even if I was 10 short of completing.

Crossfit - 16/04/14

Warm Up: 

50 double unders

250m row

2 rounds of:

6 russian kettlebell swings @ 16kg

6 ground to overhead with plate @ 10kg & 15kg

6 push ups

6 good mornings with plastic pipe

Strength: 

3RM sumo deadlift - 110kg - PB!

WOD: 

12 minute AMRAP

10 ground to overhead with 20kg plate

10 overhead lunges with 20kg plate (10 each leg)

10 hand release push ups

Completed 3 rounds, 10 ground to overhead and 4 overhead lunges

Quite pleased with my PB here, but I know I'm not far off lifting heavier. I lifted 120kg for 1 rep, twice, but I just couldn't budge it for the second rep each time. Perhaps I should have done 3 at 115kg instead. Still a PB is a PB.

This WOD was deceivingly tough!! The overhead lunges were the real killer and they slowed me down massively. The other two movements weren't too bad in comparison.

Crossfit - 17/04/14

Warm Up:

3 rounds:

5 x kettlebell swings @ 16kg

5 x V-Ups

5 x lateral kettlebell jumps

Stamina:

3km run - 15:38

WOD:

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 ladder

Kettlebell swings @ 32kg (scaled to 24kg)

V-Ups

lateral kettlebell jumps

Completed in 10:40

I wasn't happy when I saw there was no strength session today, and that it had been replaced by a 3km run, but I realised that I did heavy squats on Tuesday, heavy deadlifts on Wednesday, and so today should probably go easy on the weights. I haven't run this far in one go since starting Crossfit, and I was quite pleased with my time. It wasn't fast, but I wasn't struggling with it, and felt I could have easily continued onto 5km, or longer, which is good considering I haven't run 5km in over two years.

I enjoyed this WOD. I felt 32kg would be too heavy, so scaled to 24kg, but I kept this consistent with very little rest and got finished in a decent time. Time enough to have 10 minutes mobility at the end before having to leave for work.

I have a brew day planned tomorrow so I'm not sure I'll make the morning session, but I'll give it a go to get it out of the way for the day.

Olympic Lifting - 20/04/14

Warm Up:

Snatch technique with pipe

Lift:

4x2 hang snatch - 35kg

4x2 snatch - 35kg

Very very pleased with myself with these. I didn't fail any lifts, and 35kg is only 2.5kg off my 1RM snatch. Everything felt pretty comfortable and relatively easy. Here's to hoping that 1RM has also increased.

Crossfit 22/04/14

Warm Up:

3 rounds of:

Rowling (aim for 100m on the rower, for every metre over or under perform 1 burpee, 1 air squat).

OH mobility

Strength:

1RM strict press - 42.5kg - PB!!

WOD:

7 minute AMRAP:

20 double unders

10 overhead squat @ 40kg (Scaled to 30kg)

1 minute rest

5 minute AMRAP:

7 kettlebell swings @ 32kg (scaled to 24kg)

7 push ups

First part completed 4 rounds and 19 double unders.

Second part completed 5 rounds exactly.

Pleased with my new strict press 1RM. My previous 1RM was 40kg, and then went up really easily, and I honestly thought I'd be able to beat the PB by a good few kg, however the 42.5kg was as high as I could get it, 45kg just wasn't budging. Still, another day, another PB.

The WOD was pretty hardcore, the overhead squats needed to be scaled for me to get any real work done on them, same for the kettlebells, I'm not brave enough to try these with 32kg yet. I ploughed through both as quickly as I could, but the push ups in the second part really really got to me quickly, especially after all the shoulder work we'd done previously.

Crossfit 23/04/14

Warm Up:

100m run

1 deadlift with pipe

2 hang power cleans with pipe

2 shoulder to overhead with pipe

100m run

1 deadlift @ 20kg

2 hang power cleans @ 20kg

2 shoulder to overhead @ 20kg

Mobility

Build weight in the above complex up to working weight in strength section

Strength:

12 minutes, on the minute, all the following as a complex:

1 deadlift

2 hang power clean

2 shoulder to overhead

I did the first set at 50kg, and then dropped to 45kg. The shoulder to overhead were push press for the first 6 rounds and then push jerk for the remaining. Had I remembered I could push jerk for the movement I would have stuck to 50kg.

WOD:

10 wall balls @ 9kg

10 toes-to-bar

100m run

9 wall balls @ 9kg

9 toes-to-bar

100m run

8 wall balls....

8 .....

7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Completed in around 15 minutes, although I had to scale the toes-to-bar to knees-to-elbows for the middle rounds as I just couldn't get my toes up there. Something I need to work on there, I'm ok up to around 5-10 reps on toes-to-bar, but any more and it goes out of the window.

Crossfit 24/04/14

Warm Up: 

3 rounds:

10 push ups

10 pull ups

10 ball slams @ 9kg

Strength: 

3 x 8 Bench press @ 70% - 45kg

70% of my 1RM is actually closer to 42.5kg, but after I did the first set at that weight I figured I'd up it a little to 45kg as it felt doable, and it was....just.

WOD: 

12 minute AMRAP

8 ball slams @ 9kg

8 push press @ 40kg (scaled to 35kg)

8 box jumps @ 24"

8 v-ups

Completed 5 rounds, 8 ball slams and 5 push press.

Push press got difficult very quickly, but the most I broke them was into two sets of 4. Really tough mentally as for some reason I thought it was an 8 minute AMRAP going in to the WOD, and when Coach Ffred called halfway at 6 minutes my heart sank into my guts. I managed to keep a good pace throughout and got it done.

They are actually the most fun of all the workout I just did. There's something about slamming a medicine ball as hard as you can into the ground before heading off to work that is quite soothing.

Things are good thanks, training 4-5 days a week where possible, both bands are busy with new albums on the way. One band is having a big album announcement release today, we've never had professional PR people before so I'm looking forward to seeing what they've done and whether it'll gain any new interest. If you're interested keep your eye out on https://www.facebook.com/desecrationuk

I've been reading your journal too, shifting some serious weight around there Ross, really cool stuff.

They are actually the most fun of all the workout I just did. There's something about slamming a medicine ball as hard as you can into the ground before heading off to work that is quite soothing.

Things are good thanks, training 4-5 days a week where possible, both bands are busy with new albums on the way. One band is having a big album announcement release today, we've never had professional PR people before so I'm looking forward to seeing what they've done and whether it'll gain any new interest. If you're interested keep your eye out on https://www.facebook.com/desecrationuk

I've been reading your journal too, shifting some serious weight around there Ross, really cool stuff.

Man that does sound like fun ahha very stress relieving I imagine?

Woah super busy then bud haha touring around anytime soon? Don't forget give me a shout if your ever in Portsmouth/Southampton area would be cool to watch one of your bands play I've liked them both on Facebook already

Thanks man

We are playing southampton on June 28th actually. At the Firehouse.

Siiiick! Il see if I can come along bro! Make sure you eat at Turtle Bay whilst you're in Southampton! Jamaican food with a couple of vegan options! I eat there practically every time I go over to the mainland :P

Olympic Lifting - 27/04/14

5x2 hang clean, jerk on last rep - 50kg

5x2 clean, jerk on last rep - 50kg

All cleans felt solid and I could have upped the weight, however the jerk foot position still isn’t confident so I kept it where I was comfortable. As the reps went on this got better and better.

Crossfit - 28/04/14

Warm Up:

400m run

2 rounds of:

5 front squat @ 20kg

5 clean @ 20kg

5 thruster @ 20kg

5 knees-to-elbows

5 toes-to-bar

5 box jumps

5 ring rows

Strength:

Front squat

3x3 @ 70% - 55kg

3x2 @ 80% - 65kg

3x1 @ 85% - 70kg

I had to guess my 1RM here, as unbelievably I’ve never tested this with front squat. I guessed at around 80kg, but I probably could have gone up a little, this all felt manageable.

WOD:

4 rounds for time:

100m run

15 box jumps @ 24” (scaled to 10 reps)

15 toes-to-bar (scaled to 10 reps, and also knees to elbows for 2 rounds)

15 ring dips (scaled to 10 bench dips)

I had to scale the ring dips and toes-to-bar on this WOD, which also meant dropping the reps in accordance with the coaches programming. Fair enough. Blasted through it and got done fairly quickly, the main hindrence was the toes-to-bar, which went ok for round 1, but after that I had to do knees-to-elbow every few reps and then another couple of toes-to-bar. These are getting better however.

Crossfit - 29/04/14

Warm Up: 

3 rounds:

1 length walking lunge

10 ring rows

1 length walking lunge

30 second handstand hold

Strength: 

4 x 12 barbell step ups with 20" box - 20, 30, 35, 37.5kg - PR!

These weren't nice, but I was pleased that I got up to 37.5kg. That's the most I've done, and doing it for 12 reps (6 each leg) means that there is more there.

WOD: 

For time

15-12-9-6-3

Deadlift @ 90kg (scaled to 70kg)

Handstand push up - (used 1 abmat)

Ring Row

Completed in 11:08

This wasn't too bad, I did the first round unbroken, which is a record for handstand push ups (all kipped). I had to scale the deadlift as 90kg for 45 reps would have really got tough quickly. Pretty pleased with this in general.

Crossfit - 01/05/15

Warm Up:

3 rounds:

30 second squat hold

10 thrusters @ 20kg

5 burpees

5 kettlebell sumodeadlift high-pull @ 24kg

Strength:

5RM Back Squat - 75kg

I've done this weight for 5 before, but I struggled with it today, again struggling to keep my chest up.

WOD:

3 rounds, 1 minute on each:

Thrusters @ 40kg

Burpees

Kettlebell SDHP @ 32kg (scaled to 24kg)

Sit ups

Total 161 reps.

Thrusters at 40kg really took it out of me in this WOD. They were doable, but just slow. Tried to make up for it in the other movements, but not amazingly successfully.

Crossfit - 07/05/14

Warm Up:

3 rounds:

1 length bear crawl

15 second wall facing handstand

8 good mornings with pipe

Skills:

3 rounds:

3 muscle ups/chest-to-bar pull ups depending on skill level

10 handstand push ups

15 banded good mornings

60 second plank

SO PLEASED! I slightly widened my grip on the pull ups in an attempt to really try to nail chest-to-bar pull ups now that I've got the kip technique, and YES IT WORKED! Chest touched bar, every rep. WOOOO!

Handstand pushups were done with one abmat, and were pretty easy. I need to do these at Rx now.

Good mornings were easy.

60 second plank....ouch. I managed the first round unbroken, but I had to break the second and third rounds into 30 second planks.

Strength:

3x5 close grip bench press - 50kg

Only had time to complete two sets of this unfortunately, but felt fairly good at this weight. Hard, but doable.

WOD:

12 minute AMRAP

6 deadlift @ bodyweight (72.5kg)

12 HoG push ups

6 explosive squat jumps over bar

Completed 5 rounds, 6 deadlifts and 10 push ups Rx

The deadlifts were easy, but the push ups are still a huge weakness. It's only 12 reps per round, but I was really struggling to do more than a couple in a go. To be fair though there had been a huge amount of pushing in the session up to this point.

It is fun, the variation keeps me coming back.

Still slowly gaining weight, although I have been on tour for most of the last week, which includes lots of beer, bad diet, lack of sleep and no training, so I'm not sure where my readings will lie when I weigh in tomorrow.

Crossfit - 08/05/14

Warm Up:

3 rounds:

1 length bear crawl

8 V-Ups

1 length spiderman lunge

10 kettlebell swings @ 16kg

Skills:

4 rounds

50 unbroken double unders

45 second wall handstand hold

12 V-Ups

Strength:

4x10 front rack barbell lunges 30kg, 40kg, 45kg, 47.5kg

WOD:

12 minute AMRAP

200m run

20 plate twists @ 20kg (Scaled to 15kg)

12kb swings @ 32kg (scaled to 24kg)

8 ring dips

I was just shy of completing 4 rounds. I need to work on ring dips to get these smooth and also get efficiency with the kip. At the moment they’re all done strict and it’s slow and hard going. The kettlebells were the worst part of this WOD though.

Crossfit - 09/05/14

Warm Up:

300m row

3 rounds:

5 thruster - increasing load

7 knees-to-elbows

Strength:

10 minutes, on the minute:

3 thrusters @ 40kg

5 knees-to-elbows

This was horrible, I found the thrusters so hard towards the final sets, but battled through. Ugh!

Stamina:

1km row - 4 minutes

WOD:

6 minute AMRAP

Kipping pull ups

Push ups

The idea of this was that when you have to break on the pull ups you move to the push ups, and then back to the pull ups when you break on the push ups...etc etc etc. It was really tough, I started off with around 5 pull ups per set, but that dropped to 3 ish on the later rounds. Push ups were slightly more, but I have literally no idea how many I was doing as I just went to the point of exhaustion.

Crossfit 13/05/14

Warm Up:

3 rounds:

100m run

Complex: 3 deadlift, 3 power clean, 3 hang power clean @ 20kg increasing each round

6 knees-to-elbows

9 push ups

Strength:

Barbell complex - 12 minutes - on the minute:

1 deadlift, 1 power clean, 1 hang power clean

I started at 47.5kg and increased over a few sets to 52.5kg. It felt ok, but I couldn't get my elbows up very quickly today. Not sure why.

WOD:

400m sprint (1.25)

2 minute rest

Then 5 minutes to complete the following, break up how you choose:

40 handstand push ups

40 toes-to-bar (scaled to knees-to-elbows)

2 minute rest

Then 5 minutes to complete the following, break up how you choose:

50 kettlebell swings (16kg for me)

30 pull ups

2 minute rest

400m sprint (1.40)

I managed 30 HSPU and 30 knees to elbows in the 5 minutes. Then 40 kettlebell swings and 22 pull ups. I chose 16kg for the kettlebell, but it actually felt pretty light and I should have gone for 24kg. The first sprint felt pretty good but the last was much tougher.