Fat loss - newly vegan

Hi thereeeee,

So I haven't fully transitioned to vegan just yet. I've recently gone vegetarian and am easing my way in to vegan as there is a lot of change that needs to take place.

I'm 21yo, my bf% was 24 last time I checked, I don't really think that has changed and I'm around 167cm tall.

I want to lower my bf% to around 20% but changing to vegan, I'm not sure about the best way to go about it.

I was basically following macros previously, which seemed quite efficient, although I wasn't doing it for long.

My macros are:

Cals:1400-1500

Protein: 120g

Carbs: 143g

Fat: 38g

I reaalllllyyy dislike tofu, ginger and anything spicy, but other than that I eat pretty much anything that will go with vegan dieting.

I have also purchased vegan protein powder which I would like to incorporate into my diet

Could anyone suggest any simple meal guide to follow by to achieve my fat loss/lean muscle addition?

Thank you!!

Cal intake is probably too low, as I undertand you work out too.

You will lose some weight up to a point but also feel quite tired and weak too, and maybe give up.

Depending on what your weight is, maybe somewhere around 1800-1900 would be more sensible (and more if you want to gain muscles.)

Will take longer, but it's probably better on the long term.

If you are already vegetarian, transition too vegan should be no prob.

Dairy milk can be easily replaced, plenty of other options that actually taste better!

Eggs you can do without, finding alternatives on the web for cakes etc doesn't take long.

For your information, my gf just lost half a stone just going vegan, not working out or anything, the vegetables did the trick

curious..maybe dislike tofu because never had it prepared properly?

haha!

A few staples will likely become your new friends and go-to ingredients! A few to have handy (and are easy to cook/incorporate into lots of meals) would be qunioa, beans esp lentils and black beans. Unless you prefer to suppliment, check into nutritional yeast too for B vitamins.

And be brave...get creative.

A snowy here today, cold, very windy. But wanted something warm for lunch...threw together last of lentils I had on hand, some leftover black-beans from the fridge, onion (again left over from last night), bit of garlic, some cumin, and tumeric...was yummy!

Oh and explore with veg too! Peppers go with pretty much everything. Spinach, kale, mushrooms, carrots, potatoes, some of what's almost always in the fridge.

Just started experimenting with polenta myself...

As for a meal-guide, maybe a sample of what you currently eat? Then we can suggest tweaks from there?

Cal intake is probably too low, as I undertand you work out too.

You will lose some weight up to a point but also feel quite tired and weak too, and maybe give up.

Depending on what your weight is, maybe somewhere around 1800-1900 would be more sensible (and more if you want to gain muscles.)

Will take longer, but it's probably better on the long term.

If you are already vegetarian, transition too vegan should be no prob.

Dairy milk can be easily replaced, plenty of other options that actually taste better!

Eggs you can do without, finding alternatives on the web for cakes etc doesn't take long.

For your information, my gf just lost half a stone just going vegan, not working out or anything, the vegetables did the trick

I think you're absolutely right! I'm around 58kgs/127lbs and I already have an iron deficiency, which I take tablets for, so my energy is drained, especially lately.

Switching to vegetarian was only recent and this is my second day of a vegan diet.

I can't seem to get past 1250 calories as it is, because I'm concerned about my macros. I feel like it's a catch 22. I won't make any progress if I don't eat enough calories, but I won't lose any fat is I'm continuously going over my macros.

It's all so confusing.

curious..maybe dislike tofu because never had it prepared properly?

haha!

A few staples will likely become your new friends and go-to ingredients! A few to have handy (and are easy to cook/incorporate into lots of meals) would be qunioa, beans esp lentils and black beans. Unless you prefer to suppliment, check into nutritional yeast too for B vitamins.

And be brave...get creative.

A snowy here today, cold, very windy. But wanted something warm for lunch...threw together last of lentils I had on hand, some leftover black-beans from the fridge, onion (again left over from last night), bit of garlic, some cumin, and tumeric...was yummy!

Oh and explore with veg too! Peppers go with pretty much everything. Spinach, kale, mushrooms, carrots, potatoes, some of what's almost always in the fridge.

Just started experimenting with polenta myself...

As for a meal-guide, maybe a sample of what you currently eat? Then we can suggest tweaks from there?

You're probably right haha!

I'm not so good with cooking at all!

Ummm well it's all kind of different each day.

I'm only testing what I can manage to try and cook and enjoy since I've made the switch.

I was eating meat for basically every meal excluding snacks previously.

I LOOOOVE lentils and lentil soup! I could eat that all day everyday! Hahaha perhaps I will start looking into more of those recipes!

Quinoa, I have been using, but I don't think I'll be able to handle it for longer if I don't find a recipe that isn't too difficult and sits well with because I can be turned off something really quickly.

Basically what I am gathering is to just not be all concerned with my macros and just try and eat more?

Some good info then! Thanks! Some I'll have to reach out to some other friends who are more nutritional savvy than I. Given iron deficiency, can only guess how many times you'll hear 'it's because you don't eat meat!!!' from carnivore friends.

Being kinda new, a good transition might be to find good vegan versions of recipes you already like. Then can get more adventurous as you progress? Was a typical American eater for 30-some years, then vegetarian for almost 10, went vegan after that. So, transition was over time. Hard to just go cold turkey (pardon the pun!), but with growing number of alternatives out there over the years, can ease into it.

Other than cooking it, you didn't mention any food issues with things like soy, etc? Some can take some time getting your digestive tract happy, but for others it's no big deal.

Maybe can help with few tried/true recipes to sub in for what you used to have regularly? Oh, and with vegan dessert options too...

I suppose my big thing is not really favoring things that are bland. Will say that in the past 6-8 months have gotten more familiar with various spices and how they go together - enough to do things like lunch today....chopped up some peppers, bit of onion, lentils (1 to 3 ratio between dried lentils and water), threw in some leftover black beans, dash of cumin, garlic, and tumeric...let it cook...sniff...taste...bit more this, maybe some black pepper....ta-dah! yum!

Even mix together lentils with quinoa...flavor to taste. Nice thing is it reheats well so once you come up with a combination that you like, can make batch of it, works for lunch, or w/breakfast over some toast, and similar.

Might sound complicated, but with a community to support it doesn't have to be at all. Shout out a dish or 2 that you like, and we can make it work.

Also, depending on where you are located, check out meetup.com for a local vegetarian/vegan group. Finding a group of people with similar lifestyle was life changing, and only happened maybe 2 yrs ago, probably less. Recipe swaps, things to try....etc...

Standing by to help!

Some good info then! Thanks! Some I'll have to reach out to some other friends who are more nutritional savvy than I. Given iron deficiency, can only guess how many times you'll hear 'it's because you don't eat meat!!!' from carnivore friends.

Being kinda new, a good transition might be to find good vegan versions of recipes you already like. Then can get more adventurous as you progress? Was a typical American eater for 30-some years, then vegetarian for almost 10, went vegan after that. So, transition was over time. Hard to just go cold turkey (pardon the pun!), but with growing number of alternatives out there over the years, can ease into it.

Other than cooking it, you didn't mention any food issues with things like soy, etc? Some can take some time getting your digestive tract happy, but for others it's no big deal.

Maybe can help with few tried/true recipes to sub in for what you used to have regularly? Oh, and with vegan dessert options too...

I suppose my big thing is not really favoring things that are bland. Will say that in the past 6-8 months have gotten more familiar with various spices and how they go together - enough to do things like lunch today....chopped up some peppers, bit of onion, lentils (1 to 3 ratio between dried lentils and water), threw in some leftover black beans, dash of cumin, garlic, and tumeric...let it cook...sniff...taste...bit more this, maybe some black pepper....ta-dah! yum!

Even mix together lentils with quinoa...flavor to taste. Nice thing is it reheats well so once you come up with a combination that you like, can make batch of it, works for lunch, or w/breakfast over some toast, and similar.

Might sound complicated, but with a community to support it doesn't have to be at all. Shout out a dish or 2 that you like, and we can make it work.

Also, depending on where you are located, check out meetup.com for a local vegetarian/vegan group. Finding a group of people with similar lifestyle was life changing, and only happened maybe 2 yrs ago, probably less. Recipe swaps, things to try....etc...

Standing by to help!

Oh not at all! Even when I was eating meat I still had the deficiency to the point where I was so drained I would micro sleep whilst driving and my monthly's had all sorts of issues.. I wasn't a big red meat eater though.

I live in a home with 5 other Italians including my grandparents, in which no one is okay with this change, I'm already being questioned about proteins -.-

I used to eat simple meals which took no time at all, and my Nonna would cook the rest haha!

I actually don't mind not eating any meat or drinking milk. Yoghurt, chocolate and honey is more of a change than anything, but I know there are alternatives to those and I'm fine with that

I haven't tried any soy food but I actually forgot I really don't like soy milk, in fact I barely like leafy greens I just blend those and drink it!

Yummmm that sounds greaaaat.

I'm going to try eat more in the day and try not get too absorbed with macros. It's a hard topic for me though, I have a lot of body issues and whatever comes with it.

I really appreciate this so much! Thank you!

I live in Sydney, Australia

so....first order, a very tasty Italian recipe! And maybe a vegan chocolate cake to follow it up!

We did soy milk initially, but made transition to Almond milk. Can't quite understand the overwhelming need to add vanilla to lots of the milk products, just winds up tasting like melted vanilla milkshake or ice cream!

Happy to be on the journey with you! Cheers for now!!

Sounds like a good idea!

I'm going to have my nonna teach me how to make lenticchie (italian lentil soup) and see what other healthier options she has for me. Most of the meals she cooks have pasta, meat and cheese all combined in the one pot, so I'll have to keep an eye out for alternatives.

Again, thanks

Couldn't let it lie till tomorrow.....a few bits from book I have called Vegan Myth, Vegan Truth by John McCabe....

MYTH: Vegans Often Become Anemic because they don't get enough Iron...

Truth: You can get sufficient iron from veg!

Sources: bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, peas, spinach and tomatoes have MORE iron per calorie than beef.

With Italian family, you should get lots of tomato sauce, no?

Other sources: almonds, bok choy, brazil nuts, chard, chia, chickpeas, figs, flax, galric, kelp, LENTILS, leafy greens.....

And can quote their quote: "You would have to eat more than 1700 calories of sirloin steak to get the same amount of iron found in 100 calories of spinach." -- from Reed Mangels, PHD, Vegetarian Resource Group, April 2006 VRG.Org/Nutrition/Iron.htm

BUT to make use of iron you need sufficient Vit C. Lack of Vit C can also result in anemia (who knew that?)

Last bit, them I'm off for now....

"Milk is not a good source of iron. Meat is also not a good source of iron. The iron in meat is heme iron.....(stuff about a study from Harvard)...that high levels of heme iron raised the risk of heart disease..."

and...

"...It is pretty much impossible to be deficient in iron on the sunfood diet, because it includes such a variety of plant substances that are both rich in iron and in Vit C". -- John McCabe, Vegan Myth, Vegan Truth

I think you're absolutely right! I'm around 58kgs/127lbs and I already have an iron deficiency, which I take tablets for, so my energy is drained, especially lately.

Switching to vegetarian was only recent and this is my second day of a vegan diet.

I can't seem to get past 1250 calories as it is, because I'm concerned about my macros. I feel like it's a catch 22. I won't make any progress if I don't eat enough calories, but I won't lose any fat is I'm continuously going over my macros.

It's all so confusing.

I hear you, I was banned from giving my blood as I had iron deficiency last year. Issue was solved eating plenty of lentils, with salad of spinach/red peppers - as mentionned by Vegan Badass above.

Don't worry about your macros. You need enough calories to function properly. I've been there somehow, I used to be slightly anorexic and control my food intake, so sure you can exist on a 1200 cal diet, but you can't actually live. I was knackered and in a foul mood all the time, did not have the energy to do the things I like, and needed a snooze at 7 in the evening. I was pathetic ahah.

So take it from me: eat enough and eat well. With regular meals, healthy unprocessed food, plenty of vegetables, legumes, nuts, fruits, you'll start losing weight and more importantly, feel awesome

I hear you, I was banned from giving my blood as I had iron deficiency last year. Issue was solved eating plenty of lentils, with salad of spinach/red peppers - as mentionned by Vegan Badass above.

Don't worry about your macros. You need enough calories to function properly. I've been there somehow, I used to be slightly anorexic and control my food intake, so sure you can exist on a 1200 cal diet, but you can't actually live. I was knackered and in a foul mood all the time, did not have the energy to do the things I like, and needed a snooze at 7 in the evening. I was pathetic ahah.

So take it from me: eat enough and eat well. With regular meals, healthy unprocessed food, plenty of vegetables, legumes, nuts, fruits, you'll start losing weight and more importantly, feel awesome

Ah that's terrible about both your deficiency and ED I'm glad you have recovered!

You know what, I actually have not bloody stopped sleeping. Whenever I get the chance and I have recently stopped working out so much as well. I'm glad I have a better insight to it now. It's not just the deficiency but also the little amount of food I'm consuming.

I can see it has made a difference to my stomach though, so I'll have to I suppose, reverse diet and add more in little by little. If I start eating a lot more and have a chance of potential weight gain, I think I'll become obsessive and I really am sick of this habit.

You've inspired me, so I really appreciate your message.

Thank you!!

Ah that's terrible about both your deficiency and ED I'm glad you have recovered!

You know what, I actually have not bloody stopped sleeping. Whenever I get the chance and I have recently stopped working out so much as well. I'm glad I have a better insight to it now. It's not just the deficiency but also the little amount of food I'm consuming.

I can see it has made a difference to my stomach though, so I'll have to I suppose, reverse diet and add more in little by little. If I start eating a lot more and have a chance of potential weight gain, I think I'll become obsessive and I really am sick of this habit.

You've inspired me, so I really appreciate your message.

Thank you!!

Glad I could help

Adding a bit more food little by little is indeed the way to go.

Cutting down on training is also a very good idea. You need rest to recover, progress, and avoid injuries. Rest is actually part of a sound training plan. You should be looking forward to your next training session, not dreading it because it's too hard or too time consuming. That was another of my mistakes.

Anyway, having a balanced diet and training program will make a lot of difference in how you feel, how you train, and how you look. If you eat enough healthy food and train, you gain muscle, not fat. Now I eat more, take more days off training, and look a LOT better.

You can have your cake and eat it too

Glad I could help

Adding a bit more food little by little is indeed the way to go.

Cutting down on training is also a very good idea. You need rest to recover, progress, and avoid injuries. Rest is actually part of a sound training plan. You should be looking forward to your next training session, not dreading it because it's too hard or too time consuming. That was another of my mistakes.

Anyway, having a balanced diet and training program will make a lot of difference in how you feel, how you train, and how you look. If you eat enough healthy food and train, you gain muscle, not fat. Now I eat more, take more days off training, and look a LOT better.

You can have your cake and eat it too

Well, suggesting I not train makes me feel a little better. I've been so dead this week I've only gone once and I feel crappy about it.

On a good note, I ate atleast 1600 cals yesterday without a struggle! It was probably a bit too much of a jump but it was good. Even though it involved a falafel wrap and a loving earth luvju chocolate hahaha! No regrets.

Ahhhh I'm much more excited to just focus on better health. Thank you!