VeganJumps's Online Training Journal

Hi guys! I'm a just turned 17 year old, newbie vegan (just coming up to 4 months), and I'm trying to regain some lost muscle and strength. I train Parkour mainly, and also dabble in Calisthenics and Weight training. I lost quite a lot of strength and muscle after a string of unlucky injuries which stopped me from training, stress from high-school, and not eating enough food on the vegan diet (my fault entirely I know), but I'm gonna try fix things and improve!

Goals:

1) Build lean muscle mass, and get to 10-12% b.f. Just gonna get back into lifting first (build up strength), then decide what to do from there

2) Eat well and consistently

3) 5 Consecutive strict muscle-ups, Pull-up 25kg5x3, Bench Press 70kgx5x3, Deadlift: 140kgx5x3, Split Squat 85kgx5x3

4) Be happy and healthy!

5) Become more explosive for Parkour in Climbs/Jumps

Stats

Height: 167cm

Weight: 66.0kg

BF%: ? Not sure, will post pics, maybe you guys can help me figure out.

This Journal will be more of my strength training for Calisthenics/Weights and semi-regular food diaries more so than Parkour though. I'll hopefully post progress pictures soon.

My first deadlifting session back from injuries-

WU=Warm-up WS: Work Sets

12/05/14

Deadlifts:

WU: 60kgx5x2, 80kgx3x1, 90x2x1

WS: 100kgx5x3

Hanging Tucked Leg Raises: 12x3

Single Leg Calf-Raises: 12x3 (each leg)

Food Diary:

1 1/2 cups of Rolled Oats w/sultanas + Walnuts + cinnamon + 1 cup PureHarvest unsweetened soy-milk

Pea Protein Shake

Apple and Pear

water

2xApple and 2xPear

Rice Protein Shake

MASSIVE Salad: Leafy greens (spinach and others), tomatoes, can of butter beans (240g), cucumbers, carrots, herbs, balsamic vinegar +lime

water

Lots of white rice + tonnes of kimchi (only food availible at the restaurant my family went to) + water

B12 supp

Hope to hear from you guys! VeganBB has been such an inspiration to me

Edited by VeganJumps

My first Split-Squat Session back from injury (14/05/14)

Split Squats:

WU: 20kgx5x2, 40kgx3x1, 50kgx3x1

WS: 60kgx5x3

Pullups:

BW: 5x3

+10kg: 3x3

Food Diary:

1 Cup Rolled Oats W/ 1 cup Unsweented Pureharvest Soy Milk, sultanas, walnuts, 1 scoop pea protein

water

1 apple

1 pear

water

Big Butter and Kidney Bean salad w/4leaf mix, walnuts ,celery, onion, lime, herbs

water

Butter and Kidney Bean salad w/celery, onion, lime, herbs, cos lettuce, carrots

Steamed sweet potato

carrots

water

Hey, welcome to the forum. It's cool you're on here, and choosing a compassionate path for yourself! How did you decide to adopt a vegan lifestyle? Does anyone else in your family adhere?

Good luck in your training. There are a lot of very smart people on here, many whom have been training for ages - so there's plenty of solid information, and variety.

Hi veganjumps, welcome! Great posts, nice goals! I would maybe suggestion more whole foods, looks like too much of your diet is shakes. The massive salad sounds awesome as well as the kimchi yum and probiotic.

Thanks @esqinchi I first considered going vegan after making friends with a fellow Parkour practitioner on an interstate trip. After that I saw Gary Yourofsky's Speech, then watched Earthlings, and just read heaps of stuff about the ethical and environmental side of things. Unfortunately (or fortunately) all of this happened during my senior year of high school so I haven't been able to research into the nutrition side of things as much I should of in the beginning, so I did end up losing some muscle mass, but I'm more than glad I decided to make the switch. A compassionate life is a better one! At the moment I'm the only vegan in my family. My mother is trying to eat more vegetarian for her health, cholesterol, fat loss, arthritis etc.

Hi @C.O. What would you recommend I add to my diet? Since last week I started adding the walnuts and soy-milk because I only just realized how low-fat I was eating (I started feeling a little bit off and couldn't sleep as well). I realized most of the fat I was eating was coming from eggs when I was ovo-vegetarian.

Got the all clear from the physio today to step-up my training! Had a parkour session with a friend after, good times! D

Food Diary 15/05/14

1 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats w/soymilk, sultanas, walnuts, pea protein

water

2x apples

water

Big Butter Bean/Kidney Bean (whole 240g can) Salad w/celery, spinach, 4 leaf mix, walnuts, cucumber, tomato, lime, herbs

water

apple, ginger, beetroot, orange juice

2 mandarins

lots of white rice, lots of steamed wombok, spinach w/lime & sriracha, and a can of chickpeas (240g)

First Bench Press Day:

WU: 20kgx5x2, 35kgx3x1, 45kgx3x1

WS: 60kg: 5/5 then 55kg: 5. Was trying for 60kg 5x3 but felt my form was slipping. Started too heavy will try for 55-57.5kg 5x3 next time.

Bodyweight Inverted Rows: 15/15/15

Food Diary:

1 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats w/soymilk, sultanas, walnuts, pea protein

pear

water

can of lentils, with celery, tomatoes, cucumber, 4 leaf mix, lime, herbs.

water

half can of kidney beans with peas, corn, 4 leaf mix, lime, herbs, carrots.

white rice

water

super hungry after work

white rice w/other half can of kidney beans with peas, corn, 4 leaf mix, lime, herbs, carrots.

pear

soy milk

Edited by VeganJumps

Avocado, seeds (pumpkin, hemp, sunflower) and sprouts (most are great sources of nutrients) try add those 3 foods to your meals. Gradual change is good. Peanut butter or almond butter are also good sources of proteins and healthy fats.

Monday Morning Deadlifts Session (19/05)

Deadlift

WU: 60kgx5x2, 80x3x1, 90kgx3x1

WS: 105x5x3

Standing Barbell Calf Raises:

WS: 30kgx12x3

Notes: Session felt pretty solid, especially Deadlifts

Food Diary

Pre-workout meal: 2 Small Bananas, a glass of Soymilk

Breakfast: Bowl of Brown Rice w/microwaved non-gmo organic tofu in Sriracha and salad

Lunch: BIG Salad w/4bean mix (120g), tomatoes, capsicum, walnuts, cucumber, carrot, 4 leaf mix, herbs, lime and balsamic vinegar

Trained Parkour for two hours. Lots of climbing and running.

Snacks: Carrots, Cucumber, pear

Dinner: Small amount of leftover Brown Rice w/microwaved non-gmo organic tofu in Sriracha, left over beans (120g), 4 leaf mix, steamed eggplant, tomatoes

Soy milk and pea protein

Can of 4 bean mix (240g) and carrots

Split Squat Session (21/05/1)

Split Squats

WU: 20kgx5x2, 40kgx3x1, 50kgx3x1

WS: Accidently started with 67.5kg instead of 65kg as intended

67.5kg: 5

then 65kg: 5/5

Pull-Ups:

WU: BWx5x2

WS: +10kg:5/5/3

Couldn't finish it off aha

Hanging Tuck Leg Raises: 12/12/12

I think I might need to switch to a different exercise, this one is getting too easy.

Food Diary:

Pre-Workout: Banana and water

Breakfast: Brown Rice w/microwaved tofu in sriracha, cumin, pepper, garlic powder, steamed cabbage and spinach

Glass of Soy Milk

Water

Snacks: Banana + Pear

Lunch: MAASSIVE SALAD! With Spinach, left-over 4-leaf mix, tomatoes, cucumber, walnuts, can of kidney beans (240g), carrots, red onion, balsamic vinegar, and herbs and spices!

After school, trained Parkour with some friends

Dinner: White Rice + Tofu in Sriracha, Cumin, Pepper and Lemon. Some raw spinach, cucumber, carrots, and 2 Mandarins

Glass of Soy Milk

Lots of water

Before Bed: Pea Protein

Trying to lower intake of protein powders and replace with high protein plant based sources

Today was a good day!

Semi-Rest Day

Had school, then helped build some scaffolding with friends, and did some chin-ups/pull-ups, and light jumps. Was really hungry today though.

Food Diary

Small banana

Soy Milk

Handful of Walnuts

Water

Brown Rice W/Tofu + Sriracha Hot Sauce + Cumin, Pepper, Garlic + Steamed Kale

Mandarin

Water

Massive Salad w/kale, can of kidney beans (240g), cucumber, tomatoes, red onions, balsamic + lime, herbs and spices

Pear

Water

Brown Rice W/Tofu + Sriracha Hot Sauce + Cumin, Pepper, Garlic + Steamed Kale + Eggplant, Asparagus

Soy Milk + Pea Protein

Pear

Water

I feel better eating rice/tofu or beans + vegetables in the morning than oats w/walnuts, soy milk, protein powder and sultanas. Shame it's a hassle though :/

Only did Bench Press today. Pretty worn out from yesterdays training.

Barbell Bench Press Day

WU: 20kgx5x2, 30kgx3x1, 40kgx3x1, 50kgx3x1

WS: 57.5kg: 5/5/5

Form felt solid. Yesterday I felt a tweak in my left elbow (while doing pull-ups/chin-ups), in the same place I had tendinitis, but nothing felt bad this morning which was a relief :3

Food Diary (so far)

Banana before lifts when I woke up.

1 cup rolled oats w/1 cup soy milk, sultanas, and cinnamon

banana

mandarin

water

Brown Rice and Tofu in Sriracha and spices, some steamed wombok, zucchini and cabbage.

Water

Massive salad of kale, walnuts, red onions, cucumber, carrots, can of kidney beans (240g), tomatoes, herbs and spices, balsamic, and lime.

water

Orange juice w/spinach, basil, lemon, ice (tasted really good!)

Banana

Pea Protein w/ soy milk + water

Brown Rice w/chickpeas 120g and herbs/balsamic

Reflections/Notes

I also weighed myself today. Came in at the exact same weight as last time (about 2 weeks ago) 66kg on point. Tbh feel a little bit flabby, maybe due to the muscle mass I might've lost when injured or not eating enough? Might just be having body image issues lo; Will hopefully post pictures tomorrow morning of current state. Maybe somebody can help me figure out what's the do? :3 aha