Get Ripped or Die Trying

hey buddy, good to see someone giving HIT a go! awesome way to train when done right.......a good gauge of if you doing it right is if you feel like or want to do another set then the first one wasnt intense enough i find when i get it just right i feel so sick, my muscles are almost numb feeling and my brain wont function properly for a few minutes......sounds really bad but it works. alot the of HIT way of training is in the mind, it can be quite difficult to actually push yourself that far if your not used to it but when you do learn how its done right you realise how much harder you can push yourself than you have before. hopefully the HIT man Rob will chime in now he has a much better way of putting things than me good luck if you continue with it

oh yeah, i watched someone interviewing dorian yates on youtube, they were saying that you need to do more than one set, his responsewas........"come and train with me, and i can gaurantee you will not want to do another set" [/color]

Thanks man, for the tips and encouragement. I can definitely see it would take some getting used to. I'm also a bit uneasy with the fact that I'm lifting to failure without a spotter, and usually while I am home alone (even if my wife could help, I'd probably end up dead haha). So, I'm not sure how full on with it I'll go, but maybe I can get close.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note #1: Took yesterday off to tend to some ants that invaded our kitchen - the little bastards! Hopefully they'll have moved on by the time I get home today, so I can get to training. Going to do legs.

Note #2: I am sore as fuck from Tuesday's HIT training. Really, really sore. Not sure that I'll continue training that way, as I think I would really miss training. Though I do think it's cool to toss training in like that every once in a while.

Hi Chris,

These will be of interest to you...

Mike Mentzer of training to failure (listen carefully to the first 5 minutes)

John Little on frequency (fast forward to 51.30, very interesting what John has to say here)

http://www.highintensitynation.com/2011/01/high-intensity-interview-of-the-month-john-little/

Mike Mentzer of training frequency (listen carefully to the first 4 minutes)

Hope this helps, let us know what your thoughts are:)

Best

Rob

Thursday, May 8, 2014:

Leg Day

1. Front Squat - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

2. Lunge Kicks - 3 x 15*

3. Deadlift - 3 x 15 @ 145

4. Squat Jump - 3 x 15

5. Angle Lunge - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

6. HighKnees - 3 x 50

Felt like training today, so I abandoned the HIT style for today. I feel like I don't know enough about it to competently engage, so I got Mentzer's book, and will look into it further after doing some reading/research. Anyhow, training felt good today. Got my heart rate up with the hiit stuff, as well as a bit of calisthenics. Food has been good, but rest has been kind of crappy as of late. I will say that I felt much better yesterday having taken a day or so off from Tuesday's training. Maybe Mentzer was on to something.... haha

Hi Chris,

John Little on frequency (fast forward to 51.30, very interesting what John has to say here)

http://www.highintensitynation.com/2011/01/high-intensity-interview-of-the-month-john-little/

Best

Rob

Thanks for the links Rob, and the insight. I definitely need to watch them a couple times to get the points down well, but it sounds like he's saying we are predisposed to grow to a certain size, given our skeletal composition, and that we don't see any real benefit from our training until (roughly) at least a week after each session. It makes sense, especially given the "cut healing" analogy John Little uses; though I wonder if skeletal muscle tissue responds/heals faster than dermis.

One thing I can't seem to get over is that, even though I do one set to failure, invariably I can rest a few minutes, and come back and do another set. Pretty much anyone could, so it seems. But, I'm going to watch the entire seminar. Note above that I bought his book, so hopefully I'll have a greater understanding after that.

Hi Chris,

Best

Rob

Thanks for the links Rob, and the insight. I definitely need to watch them a couple times to get the points down well, but it sounds like he's saying we are predisposed to grow to a certain size, given our skeletal composition, and that we don't see any real benefit from our training until (roughly) at least a week after each session. It makes sense, especially given the "cut healing" analogy John Little uses; though I wonder if skeletal muscle tissue responds/heals faster than dermis.

One thing I can't seem to get over is that, even though I do one set to failure, invariably I can rest a few minutes, and come back and do another set. Pretty much anyone could, so it seems. But, I'm going to watch the entire seminar. Note above that I bought his book, so hopefully I'll have a greater understanding after that.

No worries mate,

Indeed that's what John is saying, we all have a genetic medicated limit. However their are many who fail to recognize this.

I would have to say Chris, i find machines fatigue my muscle's more so than free weights do, probably due to the fact i can achieve greater muscular contractions. I've encountered quite a few hitters who've said the same, so possibly adding a little more volume when using free weights is wouldn't hurt, experiment and see how ya go with it:)

As Mike pointed out the other day, this type of training can take a while for the individual to develop the neuromuscular efficiency require to "let it all hang out" in just one set, so again perhaps you may require 2-3 sets. Markus Reinhardt sums it up perfectly in this short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyeMgu_xUyk

For myself, I've been doing this for years ,when i go to failure there's no way in hell i could perform a second set to failure, even if i waited an hour lol. In fact a 15-20 minute workout leaves me generally fatigued for sometimes several days after. But this is what is required Chris, we must literately threaten our own physiology when we train, the body will take this on board and to protract itself from future assaults of the same magnitude it'll come back stronger. For those who believe one should leave the gym feeling "invigorated" i can only say they are sorely mistaken:))

Best wishes and good luck

Rob

No worries mate,

Indeed that's what John is saying, we all have a genetic medicated limit. However their are many who fail to recognize this.

I would have to say Chris, i find machines fatigue my muscle's more so than free weights do, probably due to the fact i can achieve greater muscular contractions. I've encountered quite a few hitters who've said the same, so possibly adding a little more volume when using free weights is wouldn't hurt, experiment and see how ya go with it:)

As Mike pointed out the other day, this type of training can take a while for the individual to develop the neuromuscular efficiency require to "let it all hang out" in just one set, so again perhaps you may require 2-3 sets. Markus Reinhardt sums it up perfectly in this short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyeMgu_xUyk

For myself, I've been doing this for years ,when i go to failure there's no way in hell i could perform a second set to failure, even if i waited an hour lol. In fact a 15-20 minute workout leaves me generally fatigued for sometimes several days after. But this is what is required Chris, we must literately threaten our own physiology when we train, the body will take this on board and to protract itself from future assaults of the same magnitude it'll come back stronger. For those who believe one should leave the gym feeling "invigorated" i can only say they are sorely mistaken:))

Best wishes and good luck

Rob

Rob - you said it man! I read through the majority of Mentzer's HIT the Mentzer Way book today while I got the brakes on my car fixed. REALLY makes a ton of sense! I never really got his "every rep prior to failure is just a warmup" until today, but now it makes total sense. Also, I tend to be pretty literal, so that explains my initial hesitation regarding being able to feel satisfied with one set. I trained upper body again today, as I didn't feel sore any longer from last Tuesday's training. I still did two sets for everything, but, I felt much more fatigued after each one - as in, immediately after - so I think I got a taste at least of what you are talking about. In time I'll get better at it I'm sure. Either way, Mentzer was obviously VERY smart, as well as physically gifted. He was HUGE! Thanks for turning me on to his teachings mate, really opened my eyes.

ps. I can totally see how one would like using machines, not only for better range of motion, more restrictive tracking, but also, less fear of killing yourself while lifting heavy weights to failure. If I couldn't raise the bar back up doing bench press while training at home (alone), I'd have a long wait til my wife got home from work to call for help!

Edited by esqinchi

I loved the links too ahha, I'm really adopting this style of training, it's a work in progress obviously!

How are things bud? With my extra rest days I'm not using the forum much so haven't had a chance to chat to many people

I'm good mate! I hope you guys are doing well over there. That's one thing I'll miss if I keep up with the HIT training as well. Maybe we can coordinate our training days haha. Not much new here. Going to a wedding tomorrow, so should get properly sloshed. But I also want to get up early Monday and enjoy the extra day off. What's new with you? Did you land any of those jobs?

Saturday, May 10, 2014:

HIT Saturday - Upper Body

I. Bench Press

A. 2 x 10 @ 135lbs

B. 2 x 8 @ 170lbs

II. Delt Raise

A. 2 x 10 @ 50lbs

B. 2 x 18 @ 70lbs

III. T Bar Row

A. 2 x 15 @ 80lbs

B. 2 x 12 @ 155lbs

IV. Curls

A. 2 x 15 @ 40lbs

B. 1 x 8 @ 75lbs

C. 1 x 10 @ 75lbs

V. Dips

A. 1 x 50 (failure)

This felt really great today, and by great, I felt like I was going to puke after each heavy set hahaha. I could definitely see myself progressing well this way. Indeed, this is a great way to train. And even if I train "too often" for Mentzer's rules, I'm still making some progress, provided that I'm not training this way every day, or even every other day. There's got to be a (relative) sweet spot for everyone - even though "A" is "A" hahaha. Once I get used to the sensation, I'm sure I'll be better at completely giving into the training. Taking a couple days off now for some much needed rest and fun!

Tuesday, May 14, 2014:

Calisthenics Upper Body Day

1. 4 x 4 Pushup/Renegade Row - 3 x @ 50lbs (that's 4 pushups, 4 rows per arm, 25lb db in each hand)

2. Weighted Decline Aussie Pullup - 3 x 12 @ 25lbs

3. Pushup Trio - 3 x 20 (divebomber, incline diamond, incline plyo)

4. Front Full Raise - 3 x 15 @ 25lbs

5. DB Pullover - 3 x 15 @ 50lbs

6. Seated Decline Row - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

Departure from HIT today. Put on 6lbs of water (I hope) weight over the weekend - I drank a lot at a wedding, and ate almost an entire vegan pizza afterward hahaha! And that was after we had dinner. So, felt like I needed to get in some stuff under a quicker pace. Also, I've noticed my resting heart rate has started to creep up, from usual 45bpm, to around 65/70. That's unacceptable to me - ever since I read that 45bpm is noted for "athlete" haha. Anyhow, gotta say that I really missed training like this. Mentzer might have been on to something with HIT training, and I'll definitely incorporate that into my overall training. However, it's still pretty much the only hobby I have right now.

Legs tomorrow.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014:

HIT Leg Day

1. DB Squat - 2 x 12 @ 50lbs

2. Deadlift - 2 x 12 @ 135

3. Plate Squat - 2 x 45 @ 90lbs

4. Deadlift - 2 x 8/10 @ 185lbs (second set was w/ mixed grip - much easier)

5. Bulgarian Split Squat - 2 x 12* @ 50lbs

6. Side Lunge - 2 x 12* @ 50lbs

7. Bulgarian Split Squat - 2 x 15* @ 70lbs

8. Side Lunge - 2 x 12* @ 70lbs

9. Calf Raises - 1 x 60 (failure)

Note to self: Get a damn mirror, and a squat pad!

Today was pretty killer - and a grip workout in addition to legs. Saw my deadlift increase by 10lbs(?) this week. It was really interesting to see how much easier it was to deadlift with mixed grip as opposed to overhand. Must be a leverage thing. I always start out these HIT sessions thinking I'll be bored, or it will be easy, or whatever... haha wrong! Jello legs by the end of the session, heavy breathing, disorientation, etc. Even if I'm not following Mentzer exactly, I'm getting some benefit out of this.

Haven't been tracking my food lately, but today's consisted of:

Breakfast - 1/2 personal watermelon, 1 mango - blended into smoothie

Snack 1 - 1 apple

Lunch - 4 bananas

Snack 2 - 1 apple, 1 pear, 1tbsp peanut butter

Pre-WO - 1 banana, 6 dates, 6 blackberries

Post-WO - 8 grapes

Dinner - HUGE salad (romaine, red leaf, broccoli, 20 little tomatos, tomato dressing I made, orange pepper)

Snack 3 - 1 mango, handful dates, handful blackberries

Clean Eating!

I loved the links too ahha, I'm really adopting this style of training, it's a work in progress obviously!

How are things bud? With my extra rest days I'm not using the forum much so haven't had a chance to chat to many people

I'm good mate! I hope you guys are doing well over there. That's one thing I'll miss if I keep up with the HIT training as well. Maybe we can coordinate our training days haha. Not much new here. Going to a wedding tomorrow, so should get properly sloshed. But I also want to get up early Monday and enjoy the extra day off. What's new with you? Did you land any of those jobs?

I've had a couple of interviews, had one yesterday but doesn't seem like enough hours and I have an ethical problem with it... It' was for an educational speaker at the zoo to guide visitors around and tell them about conservation etc.. But when I got there, I dunno man it wasn't nice seeing animals caged like that :/

Anyways it's nice to see you doing a bit of HIT dude and Christ!! That's super clean eating, you're putting me to shame lol! Ever thought about growing your own fruit and veg? It's bloody good fun man haha

I've had a couple of interviews, had one yesterday but doesn't seem like enough hours and I have an ethical problem with it... It' was for an educational speaker at the zoo to guide visitors around and tell them about conservation etc.. But when I got there, I dunno man it wasn't nice seeing animals caged like that :/

Anyways it's nice to see you doing a bit of HIT dude and Christ!! That's super clean eating, you're putting me to shame lol! Ever thought about growing your own fruit and veg? It's bloody good fun man haha

Ah man, that's a shame. But, I am proud of you for passing it up. Honestly, many zoos, especially those that are for-profit, are terrible places. Much like with the circus, the animals are treated horribly, and often live in (far) less than preferable conditions. I couldn't do it either, speak to people about conservation, while knowing you are contributing to slavery. Plus, if you were depressed by what you saw out in the open, one has to wonder what goes on behind closed doors.

I would love to grow our own veggies/fruits. Man, I would love to give up city live and move to the country. Honestly, a pipe dream of mine is to move to the country, start a farm, and animal sanctuary, and just live off of the land. Wouldn't that be sweet? I'd also be strong as fuck bailing all that hay hahaha! How amazing would it be to know exactly what you are consuming, and that you are a direct outlet to the ending of suffering of harmless animals?

Don't sweat the jobs too much mate. You'll find something just right for you. In the meantime, enjoy the additional free time. I had stints of unemployment after school, which I actually really enjoyed. Got a lot of solid training done, learned about myself, and how to cook well - though that doesn't really come in handy now haha!

Thursday, May 15, 2014:

Core Day - 3 Rounds, Rest 45 Seconds Between

1. Incline Reverse Crunch x 20

2. Russian Twist x 18 @ 25lbs

3. Side Plank w/ Rotation x 18*

4. Hanging Knee Raise x 18

5. Side Bends x 20* @ 45lbs

Fun training today, and went by quickly when executed with high intensity. So, I've legitimately put on 3 pounds over the last few weeks. Not sure if I am overeating, undertraining (haha), or just letting too loose on the weekends, and it's catching up to me. I'd love to hover around the 152 mark, but today I was at 155, down from 158 this past Monday. I'm used to gaining/dropping a few water weight pounds each week, but these few seem to have stuck on me permanently. Saw a photo of me from about 2 years ago, and realized how huge I used to be. Definitely have a lingering fear of gaining weight back. That's probably why I am a bit hesitant to allow myself to gain any muscle mass weight - as I see it as merely an increase in the number on the scale. Wish it weren't that way. Any tips on breaking the mental block?

I'd be cool with putting on muscle mass, but I don't want to be big/bulky. Spent too much money on clothes to get any bigger!

- as I see it as merely an increase in the number on the scale. Wish it weren't that way. Any tips on breaking the mental block?

hey buddy, try ignoring the scales for a few weeks and just use the mirror, the scales can literally drive you mental if your not careful, and as you said the body fluctuates alot depending on what youve eaten, what time of the day you weigh, how much exercise etc.....mirror is far more accurate in my opinion

- as I see it as merely an increase in the number on the scale. Wish it weren't that way. Any tips on breaking the mental block?

hey buddy, try ignoring the scales for a few weeks and just use the mirror, the scales can literally drive you mental if your not careful, and as you said the body fluctuates alot depending on what youve eaten, what time of the day you weigh, how much exercise etc.....mirror is far more accurate in my opinion

Thanks for the encouragement man. I'll take you up and leave the scale alone for a bit. In the mirror I look like I haven't changed much in the last month or so. Wish I weren't so affected by what I eat. I guess I should really plan more on what I eat when I have cheat meals.

Saturday, May 17, 2014:

Full Body Day

1. Bench - 3x12 @ 155lbs

2. Row - 3x15 @ 100lbs

3. DB Pullover - 3x15 @ 50lbs

4. Front Squats - 3x15 @ 70lbs

5. Squat Jumps - 3x15

6. Close Stance Deadlift - 3x15 @ 100lbs

7. Pullups - 3x12/10/10

8. Delt Raise - 3x10 @ 70lbs

9. Curls - 3x15 @ 55lbs

Good training yesterday, despite lack of rest. Our pup has been keeping us up with seizures the last couple days. In fact, we took her to the ER early this morning for the same reason. I thought we were going to lose her Anyhow, she's recovering ok now. Was pretty tired at the end of this, and almost bailed on that last set. Afterward I mowed the lawn (first time mowing since 1997), an cleabed the house up, which took all day. I could use an extra day off. Nice out today.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014:

HIT Upper

(2 sets warmup, 5 reps; 2 sets working, to failure)

1. Bench x 21 / 18 @ 145lbs

2. Row x 21 / 20 @ 110lbs

3. Pullup x 10 / 8 @ BW

4. Front Raise x 30 / 20 @ 25lbs

5. Curl x 21 @ 50lbs (only one set)

This training felt great for the first two exercises, and then I totally crapped out at the pullups. Considering I can do three sets of 10-12 on a day with much greater volume, I was either weak today, or the first two exercises really sapped my energy. Sleep has been shitty for the last few days, so I'm sure that's a factor. Really felt nauseous towards the end of these sets. Was planning to do another of the curls, but I sat on the bench to rest and before I knew it I had been there for five minutes. Also, it's hot as hell here right now - from 65* this morning to 85* at 6pm. A/C is broken too, so that really sucks (humidity is awful here). Anyway, feel like shit, going to hit the shower, and make a salad.

Thursday, May 22, 2014:

Leg Day

1. Sumo Squat - 3 x 12 @ 180lbs

2. Squat Jump - 3 x 12

3. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 165lbs

4. Lunge Kicks - 3 x 12*

5. Bulgarian Split Squat - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

6. Lunge Jumps - 3 x 24

Took yesterday off to do some shit around the house. Holiday weekend, so we are having some people over on Sunday, which should be nice. Training today felt great. Deadlifts were solid, and the plyo stuff really revved up the heart rate. I did some playing around on the execution of the bulgarian splits, like leaning more over my knee than sitting back toward my heels. Seems like it targets different muscles (more quad this way), than the traditional way. Those are just so so good for balance work, which I have been neglecting as of late. Anyhow, feeling good. Sleep is good, food clean, etc. Now where's my weekend beers????

1997 aye, your lawn would have been quite long then?

So how often do you give yourself a chest meal?

Training looks good in here, jealous that you can sumo squat. Nice! Much planned for the weekend?

Ahha good one! This is actually the first lawn I've had since then - city dweller.

Cheat meal? Once per week. That's probably too often, but I've been eating so clean throughout the week that by the time the weekend rolls round I'm ready for an escape.

I've been doing the sumo squat in lieu of traditional squats, as I haven't a shoulder pad for my barbell, nor a mirror to watch proper form. Also, it makes racking the bar too difficult, and I worry about injuring myself from lack of view.

Weekend plans include mowing said lawn, again. Also, having some people over on Sunday for drinks and eats. Going to make some pretzels, and other snack stuff. Should be fun.

What about you? Heading out into the beautiful wilderness?

Saturday, May 24, 2014:

Upper Body / Core Day

1. Decline Bench - 3 x 12 @ 100lbs

2. DB Snatch - 3 x 12* @ 35lbs

3. T Row - 3 x 12 @ 100lbs

4. Incline Reverse Crunch - 3 x 20

5. Side Plank Crunch - 3 x 15*

6. Bicycle Abs - 3 x 50

7. Chin Ups - 3 x 12

8. Close Grip Incline Bench - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

9. Squat Flip Press - 3 x 12 @ 100lbs

Solid training this morning. Surprised I could muster so many chin-ups. Maybe that's the Mentzer coming through haha. Sapped from all energy by the last set though, which was preceded by a 3 minute rest on the bench. Had a taste for nothing but fruit today so far, so I've consumed the following: 3 mango, 4 banana, 12 dates, 2 handfuls blueberries. That doesn't actually look like too much, so I'm going to pound some more. Hope everyone is having a good weeked. Having some people over tomorrow to eat/drink. Going to make the following:

- Soft pretzels

- Baba ganoush

- Taboulleh

- Potato salad

- Salsa

- Guacamole

- Flatbread giant veggie pizza with hummus sauce

Also beer. haha. I'll post up some pics of what we make.

not had any of your food pics for a while, looking forward to seeing all that it sounds real good

Dude, fully stuffed myself on Sunday, which dragged into Monday as well. Could literally feel the extra fluid retained in my extremeties! Here's a few pics of the stuff I made up. Not pictured was a roasted veggie pizza I put together.

I roasted up a ton of stuff (red onion, bell pepper, broccoli, brussels sprouts, zucchini, squash, sweet potato) for the topping on the pizza. I added some curry powder, garam masala, smoked paprika, and cumin. I wanted an Indian base flavor, because I wanted it to be more flatbread than pizza (though I formed the dough into a round shape). In the end, I realized I had roasted WAAAYYY too many vegetables for just one pizza (probably more like 3). So, my wife gave me the idea of putting the additional veggies in the food processor, and substituting the result for tomato pizza sauce. I added a small can of tomato paste for some added flavor, and the result was awesome!

Still full this Tuesday morning.

Food.jpeg.7a161cffe20d1edf0d798ca2748dcf6f.jpeg

Food1.jpeg.e673474362e74eb3404680e91ba951fb.jpeg

Food2.jpeg.8a8ea30fa08715a8706f4657b7f7c9ed.jpeg