Finally turning vegetarian..

Scrap

Hi folks..

Ok I know this is a Vegan forum but one step at a time eh?

I have been transitioning from meat eater to vegetarian over the last month or so. I noticed a loss in bodyweight and mass but I was told that's normal,

It's probably also due to my lack of knowledge of good high alternate protein sources and that's where you all will come in I hope

I look forward to learning lots and sticking to my plan of becoming a non-meat eater. Milk and eggs are also on the way out.. I hope I don't evaporate and disappear.

Peace

Edited by Scrap!

Hello Finch! I'm so glad you've decided to join us.

As for high protein sources broccoli is definitely a great start. It tastes great with garlic sauce! IMO

Here is a great site about vegan protein options:

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4771/10-Vegan-Sources-of-Protein.html

For just a normal person you should try to get around 35 - 50 grams. I'm not sure how many you'll need if you are trying to become a bodybuilder. Milk is not too hard to leave behind. The alternatives (Almond milk, Soymilk, Hemp milk) ..hemp is my fav, but they are so much tastier! Try the vanilla kinds and also try very hard to get the organic versions especially with soy. A lot of ppl who transition tend to tell me cheese is the hardest thing to give up. It's addicting, but trust me Daiya cheese on a pizza is just as incredible. You should try to look for vegan restaurants. It helps knowing that if you are in a bind you can just go pick up a vegan meal.

Peace!

Hi 2DNSD,

I'm not actually trying to be a body builder.. but rather just to maintain a nice healthy weight for my height and not lose any I heard all Soy products should be completely avoided as practically all

Soy related foods are most definitely genetically modified.

For my height and weight (6'1" male) my protein needs range from 64 - 144grams depending on how much activity I'm engaged in. If I had only the 35 grams you suggested I would indeed waste away to

nothing.

I don't need vegan restaurants. I'm a great cook! I just need to study more vegetarian cookery.

Edited by Scrap!

Its a huge step congrats. I think easing into things is the way to go. People are more likely to fail when they try for too much of a drastic change at once. Try just substituting items in your meals, that is a good way to condition yourself.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement folks.. Got myself a whole bunch of vegan and vegetarian cook books. Having so much fun. i eat slower now, with calmness, my stomach feels light

and relaxed after meals instead of heavy and bloated. I even sleep better. I look much healthier too after just a few months. Loving this

hi! depending on where you are, check out meetup.com and see if there is a local vegetarian/vegan meetup group near you for support, recipies and ideas.

As you're transitioning, yeah, have to de-program the much over-stated (marketing) mis-information out there about how much protein you need and where you need to get it.

Also, Whole Foods usually offers up weekly or monthly veg cooking class for free if you want to check that out.

Plant sources of protein:

beans

quinoa

dark leafy greens in general

sweet potato

Which books did you get?

Thrive series is good.

Engine 2 is chock full of great, firefighter-feeding meals...haah!

Which books did I get? I am gathering quite a nice little library!

http://postimg.org/gallery/7856jdl8/

And I am using My Fitness Pal to keep track of everything I eat so as to monitor and balance my Calorie, protein, carbs and fat intake each day

to ensure I am getting enough of all the good stuff.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com

Even as a meat eater I always ate very healthily and have always had a very keep interest in nutrition so it's not about really changing my entire diet

from top to bottom but rather simply eliminating the red meat first (I already cut down my red meat to once a week for years and have had zero for

the last 2 months.), weaning off poultry has taken the same route.

For me the big thing was whole milk. I was practically addicted to the stuff! I love milk more than a baby cow does! When I stopped drinking that

I lost a few pounds right away.

Cool!

For books, you are ALL IN!!! Good choices! China Study will take some time to get through, 2nd and 3rd time! lol! Whether motivation is health, environment, quality of life as we age, or cruelty - data beats marketing every time for those willing to question and educate!

Need you to come be a guest speaker at my work, lots of young Lieutenants running around, grew up on meat and potatoes but only 22ish and on 2 high bp 'scripts. Nope, didn't tell him to go plant-based. DID tell him what he was doing (taco bell, pizza, KFC, etc.) for lunch every day obviously wasn't working. Reduce....elimination is up to you. Save up ur meat as 'reward' and go from 7 days per week to 3, to 2....baby steps.

Didn't even try....but I've not given up!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When weighed myself last I was 165lbs.. last night I weighed 168lbs. So in fact I have gained 3 pounds in 3 weeks! That's brilliant!

All done with black-eye beans and lentils as my main source of protein. Brown rice, wholewheat pasta, and potatoes as my source of complex carbs

.. tons of veg and salads and fruit.. plus occasional nuts, raisins, seeds etc.

Very simple basic foods.. and with no milk, no meat or fish, no cheese etc (some occasional egg whites)

I can see in the mirror that I have absolutely put on weight especially with my weight training.

Every couple of days I make sure I cook a big pot of brown basmatti rice, a big pot of lentils, and a big pot of black-eye beans.. this way I always have something on hand to dip into

and ensure I am never left hungry.

I'm very pleased. ) Tra la la la le le la la la..

Check out this little snack.. a salad with black eye beans, tomatoes, cucumber, fresh dill, ground black pepper, pinch of sea salt, extra virgin olive oil and a good dash of white wine vinegar. With a side dish of red lentils this meal adds up to over 1000 calories and 71 grams of protein.

http://s12.postimg.org/b2rsg0fh7/Screen_Shot_2014_06_13_at_18_40_31.jpg

Check out this little snack.. a salad with black eye beans, tomatoes, cucumber, fresh dill, ground black pepper, pinch of sea salt, extra virgin olive oil and a good dash of white wine vinegar. With a side dish of red lentils this meal adds up to over 1000 calories and 71 grams of protein.

http://s12.postimg.org/b2rsg0fh7/Screen_Shot_2014_06_13_at_18_40_31.jpg

YUM!