Protein Myth or Fact?

Well, I don't think it would be that hard, you'd just have to eat smaller and more frequently, but I love sitting down with some kind of nice sized meal. I'm at the point where I eat very frequently, but being a 21 year old who cardios his body to a state of no return, I need calories, and I like having something nice that's going to fill me, 'ya know?

I'm at the point where I eat very frequently, but being a 21 year old who cardios his body to a state of no return, I need calories, and I like having something nice that's going to fill me, 'ya know?

LOL... I totally agree! I eat every 1-3 hours... my grocery bill is insane

I'm at the point where I eat very frequently, but being a 21 year old who cardios his body to a state of no return, I need calories, and I like having something nice that's going to fill me, 'ya know?

LOL... I totally agree! I eat every 1-3 hours... my grocery bill is insane

I know what you mean, sometimes I laugh to myself thinking "If I wasn't a weightlifter and didn't eat organic, I could probably feed myself for pennies a day." But organic is a must anyway.

I know what you mean, sometimes I laugh to myself thinking "If I wasn't a weightlifter and didn't eat organic, I could probably feed myself for pennies a day." But organic is a must anyway.

Totally agree! When u are eating this much food, why poison urself with all those pesticides? ewww

Where did you find that statistic? It's interesting, because I just intuitively feel that about 30 gm. at a time is an upper limit. I usually have about 20-25 at most at a time.

I'm sure there is a limit to how much of any particular nutrient the body can deal with at one time (according to Neal Barnard, meals over 500 calories are more apt to go to excess weight, as the body can't assimilate much more than that at once. Though I'm sure he wasn't referring to bodybuilders, and they may be more able to assimilate higher levels of calories at once).

Topher and I used to eat about 100 grams at a time!

Sometimes I still eat a good 60-80 grams in a meal just due to the nature of the protein content in the amount of food I eat, not by intention to get a certain number of grams.

I don't know the scientific statistic but I always heard the body could only utilize, absorb, or digest about 50 grams of protein at a time.

What is funny is that people always talk about the extra protein going to waste, but the experiments I've done on myself have shown pretty much every time, that when I eat more overall daily protein (which means more per meal) I get better results. Big Ben says the same thing. He does experiments too and we've both found that is it not total calories, but rather grams of protein that will build muscle.

So I tend to eat based on past experiments and tests on myself and if I eat 70 grams of protein in one meal I'm not going to worry about it being stored as fat.

I'm sure there is some scientific number and it's probably right, but I don't count grams anymore, I just eat food and sometimes I probably overeat sometimes undereat, but it's more enjoyable when I don't have to count and add things up like I used to.

I don't really know either. If I'm having about 30 - 40 grams of protein anyway, I'm full after that normally (That translates to a huge bowl of Lentil Soup, or about 4 banana's with peanut butter). As for eating over 500 calories in a meal, I should watch that sometime, because I've eaten much more in a meal, but I wonder if that's only for a person at rest?

I also don't worry about calories in general. I try to follow a guideline of 0.5 g of protein per pound of body weight per day which works well for me and I get good results as and endurance athlete. I also make sure I get all the essential amino acids each day, but I don't worry about getting 0.5 g of each amino acid per pound of body weight. But usually the total protein for me amounts from 80-100g per day, so I only track intake for the day rather than the meal.

• 2 weeks later...

Per pound of body weight. 0.5g of protein works for growth/strength for me, but again, I'm a cyclist and not a bodybuilder who works on mass, and I try to increase strength while minimizing mass increase (power to weight ratio is more important to me than mass and huge strength gains).

Depending on your fitness goals, this will vary, and everyone is different, so I'm just telling you what works for me and for my specific sport.

As a general ballpark, I'd go for 0.5 to 1.0 grams of protein per pound of body weight, but for a lot of vegans, that's a lot, and I've found I don't need nearly that much.

The guideline for general health is .5-.8g per KILOGRAM of bodyweight... for building mass, it ranges between 1.0-1.5g per KILOGRAM. However, I personally need a heck of a lot more than this. I go by pounds instead of kilograms. I basically just try to get as much as I can per day (because it's hard for me to get too much). If I get over 20% of my kcals from protein, then I'm happy. I try to get at least 120g at the very least. I think it just depends on your goals and your body. If you are trying to put on mass, you will obivously be eating more, thus you will be inadvertingly getting more protein than the average person. Some people work best on higher amount of protein, and some people excel at lesser amounts. I need a lot in order to feel/be healthy and maintain/gain muscle. But, thats just me.