Pumping for Mother Earth

I think bench press is so difficult, and, at least for me, the most difficult lift to get perfect form with. Keep at it, and keep varying the way you're lifting to make sure you're well rounded. Changing grip (for instance, one day wide grip, one day close grip) can help you break through plateaus. Trying different assistance work (dumbbell press, floor press, one arm press, pullovers, flies, etc) can be really helpful too. I've found (and heard the sentiment around) that incline bench doesn't do a TON to help out your flat press. If you feel nervous about the weight and don't have a spotter, drag a bench over and bench in the squat rack with the safetys right at your chest level to keep you from getting pinned too bad if you just can't push it up. Strong tricep accessory work is vital to a strong bench press, in my opinion.

Upper back pulling like face pulls are a good idea to mix in with your bench, as well, if you're interested in push/pull supersets

Don't worry, you're liftin big, keep at it and you'll get wherever you want to be!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for your encouragement and for the tips

i thought maybe i should not lift on progression with bench press so often. instead of 6x5 til my goal weight i would make a simple 5x5 with a static weight, and once a week when i want to add 2,5 kg more i lift with progression sets. what do you think.?

for example tomorrow i would make 5x5x40kg and next week 5x30; 5x32.5; 5x35; 5x37.5; 5x40; 5x42.5 in one session.

sorry for my bad english, sometimes i dont know how to translate certain right definitions

Heck yeah, that looks good! I think shooting for increasing your max set by 2.5kg every week is a very achievable goal, and will allow you to progress at a comfortable rate. Also, your english is just fine, I never have trouble understanding you

P.S. I'm with you in this quest for a big bench. We'll both get it!

oooook today i tried to do a bit of what i wanted to do

BENCH PRESS

8x35

2x5x37.5

3x5x40kg

DUMBBELL SHOULDER PRESS

3x10x12.5 each arm

FRENCH PRESS

3x10x25kg, including bench press in the same workout where i make french press doesnt seem a good idea

BARBELL CURLS

5x10x26kg last rep was nothing but a cheating

today looked like a failure so i went to cheer myself up in a french vegan cafeteria and ate some cakes

BENT OVER ROW

5 reps x 66 lbs

5 reps x 66 lbs

10 reps x 66 lbs

10 reps x 66 lbs

10 reps x 66 lbs

BENCH PRESS

5 reps x 77 lbs

5 reps x 82 lbs

5 reps x 88 lbs

5 reps x 88 lbs

5 reps x 88 lbs

BODYWEIGHT CALF RAISE

3x20

WEIGHTED CRUNCH

3x20 + 22lbs

DEADLIFT

10 reps x 88 lbs

10 reps x 110 lbs

5 reps x 121 lbs

5 reps x 126 lbs

5 reps x 132 lbs

5 reps x 136 lbs

5 reps x 143 lbs

1 reps x 148 lbs

5 reps x 154 lbs

• 3 weeks later...

unfortunately i had a problem with my right ankle, one of the ligaments is broken and the bone got a trauma, and i have been recovering for 3 weeks now, and i still need other 6 weeks to start to walk again. i am looking forward to go back to the gym and start stronglifts 5x5.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Look like it´s getting better, i am starting everything from the beginning again, 2 ligaments totally broken plus small fracture, with therapy seems a bit more stable.. now i am starting with some exercises, but only 10kg 6 months without being able to put weight on that ankle are heavy.. i lost every type of energy, maybe in october i will start the stronglift 5x5 from the beginning and start again with a good diet. during these 6 months i was not able to cook so much and i was even low income since i was not able to work so i basically ate only trash food (vegan) a lot of carbs and fat no protein but a lot of fruits, my mood was always sad and bored . i really cant wait to go back to the gym !!!

oh thank you all. about swimming i really like it but i live in berlin and theres not so much to swim and the pools are really expensive. but i am making physiotherapy and with some bodyweight squatting and other exercises that the doctor gave to me i feel way much better!!

I will soon go back to gym i cant wait to!!!

• 2 months later...

Ok finally i started gym again but i lost power on the right leg so i had to train the legs with exercises for isolation for at least 1 month.

But today i started finally stronglifts 5x5 from the beginning.

so

SQUAT

5x5 x 20kg

OHP

5x5 x 20kg

DEADLIFT

1x5 x 50

BARBELL CURLS

3x10 x 20kg

It is quite sad i need to use such light weights, but with this program i am sure i will gain strength at every session meanwhile working on my form..

During these months i gained 5 kg fat so i am trying to not eat carbs like rice, potatoes, pasta, bread etc. mostly from fruits

Today i added an extra of bench press because this week is BAB but i feel like i want to speed up the results with bench press so i will do it 3 times this week instead of only once..

so

SQUAT

5x5 x 25kg

OHP

5x5 x 22.5kg

BENCH PRESS

5x5 x 22.5kg

DEADLIFT

1x5 x 55kg

BARBELL CURLS

3x8 x 20kg

i would like to know what do you think about my diet, i tried to cut carbs like bread pasta rice and oat, so mostly carbs from fruits and veggies and a nice healthy source of proteins and use as less soy as possible

BREAKFAST

Pea Protein Shake w/1 apple, 200ml rice milk

LUNCH

150gr of (weight before cooking) Red Lentils +

broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and mushrooms

POST WORK OUT

Pea Protein shake with 200ml rice milk, 1 banana

AFTER 90 MINUTES

Black Beans, Chili Beans, Chickpeas, Peas with some veggies and 1 apple

Seitan with eggplants mushrooms and carrots

DINNER

big variety of fruits (grapes, oranges, tangerines, etc)

PRE-SLEEP

1 protein bar

15gr of brazil nuts

10gr hazelnuts

10 gr mixed seeds

PROTEIN: 150-160gr

CALORIES: 2600

I even take vitamins supplement, BCAA and creatine

Hey dude... I think the food looks good man, maybe add some more greens? I always feel better after I eat a whole bunch of spinach or other leafy greens.

As far as bench goes, are you experimenting with different varieties of bench press? Like incline, decline, pec deck, fly's, etc? What about different grips (close, wide, etc.)? I've been doing a lot of incline bench lately, and really feel like I'm making a lot of progress there. Just something to think about!

hey thanks for the tips I will use more greens for sure.. Is just that i dont find easily fresh spinach, but only the frozen ones and i am not sure if their nutritional properties are the same.. what do you think? same thing for frozen berries

About the bench press i am following stronglifts 5x5 and the program says i should do the regular press for at least 12 weeks and then decide maybe a different program.. but i will keep the incline in my future program, i remember doing it 1 year ago and was fun.

I am doing this without efforts but i like to study better the proper form (angles, the "bent the bar" move, and the type of arching). I always finish the workout without a drop of sweat so i cant wait to let the 1st month pass and start to feel some more strength..

I see about the program, fair enough. Sounds like fun.. I always noticed the heavier I try to go with weight the worse my form becomes. About the frozen spinach/berries - I think maybe some of the nutrients are degraded or destroyed in the freezing process - though I am not entirely sure. Hope you have a nice holiday if you are celebrating.

Keep at it man, and you'll be back to where you were before in no time! I'm about to go through a painful process myself as I plan to start up with more HIIT/bodyweight training soon. First few days are always brutal! New Year's plans? I'm sure I'm going to have one final indulgence in beers before I make some big changes.