Is Cadbury Schweppes (Dr Pepper, 7-UP, etc.) ok to drink?

I have already gave up Pepsi (because it is owned by Yum Brands, along with KFC, Taco Bell, etc.) and they don't kill the anima;ls ethically or something like that. Also gave up on Coke because of pollution reasons.

Now I want to know, what about Cadbury Schweppes? I like Dr Pepper and all but not sure if it's ethical to drink it? Read on another vegan site but it was based only on their chocolates (and I am not consuming those) and how they bought out another company and might not be using vegan ingredients any more.

So, is this ok for me to drink?

Also, is Shasta ok?

31 Jul 00 - Food Safety - Cadbury's investigates chocolate recycling claim

Press Association

Guardian ... Monday 31 July 2000

Cadbury's announced yesterday it had stopped using a contractor pending an inquiry into allegations that chocolate earmarked for pig feed was reused in its products.

A claim was made yesterday in a Sunday newspaper that the long-standing contractor was taking chocolate labelled Unfit for Human Consumption and reusing it in bars such as Dairy Milk and Creme Eggs .

A spokesman for Cadbury's said it would not use chocolate processed by R and JB Higgins of Chaddesley Corbett , Worcestershire, until it had investigated, but added that it had "total confidence" in the firm.

Higgins denied the claims, saying: "The public have nothing to fear." Its workers strip chocolate bars designated as waste, sent from Cadbury's Bournville factory in the West Midlands or from outside distribution centres.

A Cadbury's spokesman said that bars damaged in production, but in every other way perfect, were sent back to Bournville or another factory for remelting. Those near or just past their Best Before date were sent for resale at Cadbury's staff shop, and those past their sell-by date were destined for pig feed. Workers at Higgins were accused by the Sunday Mirror of shifting bars from the pig feed pile onto that to be sent for remelting.

----------

Ah so that's alright then

What the hell? They have a lot of respect for pigs, don't they?

Absolutely ludicrous.

-----

And I'm sure you know this, but soda, such as Dr Pepper, rots your teeth and makes your stomach acidic, and is full of empty calories: sugar with no vitamins or minerals.

Hrmm that sucks. Guess gonna have to stay away from them too then, thanks.

btw

And I'm sure you know this, but soda, such as Dr Pepper, rots your teeth and makes your stomach acidic, and is full of empty calories: sugar with no vitamins or minerals.

Might as well shy away from candy or anything labeled "junk" (chips, the works) really if that's the case. Moderation is the key. Plus, most of the stuff I drink is diet. Once in a blue moon I'll drink regular soda.

Also, in regards to teeth rotting, that's why you drink water and wash your mouth after consuming soda

Thanks again.

Also, in regards to teeth rotting, that's why you drink water and wash your mouth after consuming soda

Kollision,

You don't honestly believe it's that simple do you? Once you've orally introduced the high levels of sugar that sodas contain, you're setting the stage for an acidic environment which non-beneficial bacteria (s. mutans) thrive on. Your own saliva neutralizes better than water, which is still not saying much.

Yes chips and other junk food share the distinction with soda for being MNV (minimal nutritional value) foods. But what truly bothers me about soft drinks are their bone de-mineralizing capacity. Most of these are basically nothing more than malted battery acid.

Plus, most of the stuff I drink is diet

Artificial sweeteners may have still worse effects on health than sugar.

Forget the sell-by date thing, why would pigs eat chocolate in the first place??? That strikes me as rather bizarre pig food.

They do mix A LOT of crap within the pig feed....

You don't honestly believe it's that simple do you? Once you've orally introduced the high levels of sugar that sodas contain, you're setting the stage for an acidic environment which non-beneficial bacteria (s. mutans) thrive on. Your own saliva neutralizes better than water, which is still not saying much.

Perhaps you know better than me in this field, but I watched several shows on it (one on ABC Primetime I believe) and it talked about the acid and tooth rottening. They put a coin (?) in a glass of coke and over night, it had so much crap on it.

They also said, which is where I got this from, to wash your mouth with water after ingesting sodas. Also, preferably, with a straw as well. Heard the straw deal in regards to coffee too (because of the staining).

Artificial sweeteners may have still worse effects on health than sugar.

You are not talking about the issue of phenalynine are you? I have read some of the studies on them and most of them are not concrete. I read that it can cause blindness or eye problems if consumed to a certain extent. I don't drink much soda (mainly water, and fruit juice; grape or orange, for breakfast), so I highly doubt that any of this will most likely affect me.

HFCS = high fructose corn syrup

Blue Sky is sold in HFS & even some regular grocery stores. I think Knudsen's also makes some kind of sparkly drink, although it may be more fruit juice based with carbonated water -- better for you!

You can make your own bubbly treat at home. Put a dallop of frozen oj concentrate or other frozen juice concentrate into a glass & pour very cold seltzer water over it. Stir, add a bit of ice, drink. This has probably helped me more than anything, to kick my Coke habit. And btw, Canada Dry Seltzer water is the fizziest seltzer available in my area.

If you like Ginger Ale, there are lots of Ginger Beer's available -- usually manufactured by smaller bottlers. Ginger Beer is much stronger than ale & very refreshing, imho!

Kollision,

It's not the sugar that's such a problem, but the acidity of it directly. The same goes for all acidic drinks including sugar free lemonaide, acid fruit juices, eating citrus etc.

Rinsing with water does rinse out the residues of the drink or food, the sugars and acids, and it's far easier to do with a drink. The biggest problem with sugars are from sticky fermentable carbs like dried fruits and soft starches (cookies, cakes, breads etc.) because food particles get stuck in the teeth and the sugars ferment feeding the bacteria a feast. That's why it's good to brush often. But after an acidic meal or drink you should rinse your mouth out with water first before you brush or else you can wear out your enamal if the acid is still in your mouth when you brush.

I keep a bottle of water mixed with a bit of baking soda around for a mouthwash after acidic meals. I love citrus and oranges, so the baking soda being so alkaline brings the ph back up in the mouth and the water rinses off the residues of the citrus juice.

As far as soda, it is easy to make your own with some bubbly water and flavors sweetened with Xylitol which is actually good for teeth and helps reminerlize them.

HFCS = high fructose corn syrup

Blue Sky is sold in HFS & even some regular grocery stores. I think Knudsen's also makes some kind of sparkly drink, although it may be more fruit juice based with carbonated water -- better for you!

You can make your own bubbly treat at home. Put a dallop of frozen oj concentrate or other frozen juice concentrate into a glass & pour very cold seltzer water over it. Stir, add a bit of ice, drink. This has probably helped me more than anything, to kick my Coke habit. And btw, Canada Dry Seltzer water is the fizziest seltzer available in my area.

If you like Ginger Ale, there are lots of Ginger Beer's available -- usually manufactured by smaller bottlers. Ginger Beer is much stronger than ale & very refreshing, imho!

I had a feeling that it stood for "High Fructose" something, thanks.

As far as seltzer, odd that you mention it, as I just did that today! I had Schwarps, or something like that, and mixed it in with my grape juice. Tastes pretty good.

I don't have a coke habit, so that isn't a problem. Just once inawhile I like Dr. Pepper. Any idea if there are clone recipes for that?

It's not the sugar that's such a problem, but the acidity of it directly. The same goes for all acidic drinks including sugar free lemonaide, acid fruit juices, eating citrus etc.

Rinsing with water does rinse out the residues of the drink or food, the sugars and acids, and it's far easier to do with a drink. The biggest problem with sugars are from sticky fermentable carbs like dried fruits and soft starches (cookies, cakes, breads etc.) because food particles get stuck in the teeth and the sugars ferment feeding the bacteria a feast. That's why it's good to brush often. But after an acidic meal or drink you should rinse your mouth out with water first before you brush or else you can wear out your enamal if the acid is still in your mouth when you brush.

I keep a bottle of water mixed with a bit of baking soda around for a mouthwash after acidic meals. I love citrus and oranges, so the baking soda being so alkaline brings the ph back up in the mouth and the water rinses off the residues of the citrus juice.

As far as soda, it is easy to make your own with some bubbly water and flavors sweetened with Xylitol which is actually good for teeth and helps reminerlize them.

SO then I was right?

Thanks for the tip as well. Didn't know about Xylitol, will check that out now.

It's not the sugar that's such a problem, but the acidity of it directly.

Sugar can be considered the substrate from which non-beneficial oral bacteria thrive (basically Streptococcus mutans). The sugar molecule, unlike the pentol structure of xylitol adheres easily to surfaces like tooth enamel. S. mutans thrive on sugar and the lactic acid they produce (this is where the "acidity" actually comes from) is what leads to dental caries.

It's not the sugar that's such a problem, but the acidity of it directly.

Sugar can be considered the substrate from which non-beneficial oral bacteria thrive (basically Streptococcus mutans). The sugar molecule, unlike the pentol structure of xylitol adheres easily to surfaces like tooth enamel. S. mutans thrive on sugar and the lactic acid they produce (this is where the "acidity" actually comes from) is what leads to dental caries.

It's one area acidity comes from. But acidity can come directly too as well which eats at the enamal. I heard that soft drinks were acidic in addition to their sugar content. Of course we've got to eat, and there's nothing wrong with eating sugars and carbs or even acidic food. Like oranges, limes, lemons, pineapples, tomatoes, grapefruits, bananas, oatmeal etc. It's the length and frequency of the contact time that matters. Don't let sugars and/or acids sit on the teeth. Rinse and brush frequently.

kollision,

Check out this article

http://www.laleva.cc/food/xylitol.html

Yes chips and other junk food share the distinction with soda for being MNV (minimal nutritional value) foods. But what truly bothers me about soft drinks are their bone de-mineralizing capacity. Most of these are basically nothing more than malted battery acid.

2 facts:

1) A human tooth kept in overnight in a cola dissolved in 24-25 hours

2) My dad used to travel to europe and had business associates there. At lunches he would drink colas instead of all the people who'd have wine.. They'd tell him.. mr. x u shouldnt be having so much colas..he was like why?

We clean our car parts with it.. its the most amazing de greaser.

Ive read a lot on HFCS.. and the fact that american obesity stems from it.

kollision,

Check out this article

http://www.laleva.cc/food/xylitol.html

Thanks Nik!

Sounds like a good substitute.

I guess for now I will have to buy Trident gums too. I am going to have to find out which corporation owns it though...Any ethical corporations that you can think of?

Also, since we are on the topic of soft drinks, any Xylitol soft drinks that you know of that is ethical as well?

Thanks for letting me know of this sugar.

EDIT: Wow what luck...Trident is manufactured by Cadbury Adams, a a subsidiary of Cadbury-Schweppes!!

There is no commercially available soft drink marketed in the U.S. containing xylitol, but my guess is that, if it hasn't happened already, it's bound to appear in Japan which has been using stevia for decades now in their sodas. The Japanese are considerably less swayed by the marketing hype behind artificial sweeteners than we are in the U.S.--they've been smart enough to ban their use in marketed foods.

There was a thread started last year in which I (rather painfully) tried to convince people that xylitol was not snake oil. The FDA, operating on behalf of the sugar and artificil sweetener lobbies has done a "great job" of keeping the populace in the dark:

viewtopic.php?t=1315&highlight=zylitol