new from Dallas TX

bunnylalu

Hi all,

My name is Christine and I live in the suburbs of Dallas. I found out about vegan bodybuilding from one of the vegan podcasts I listen to - I think it was Eric Marcus. Anyway, I got excited about the SHAPE UP bodybuilding contest - SUMMER - and have been recruiting some people from another forum: Vegan Freaks to do the summer contest with me. I believe there are 5 of us who are interested.

I got the DVD from Robert (thank you! it works just fine) plus a packet of info & a Vega bar & a pkg of Vega mix. I took the flyers to Spiral Diner - the only vegan restaurant in the DFW area.

I am not your typical bodybuilder. I am 47 years old and quite out of shape. I did weight training for 2 1/2 years (age 40 - 43) and then got very sick. I haven't done any weight lifting since then. My sister is a personal trainer (who lives in PA), and she is helping me to develop the best program for me in participating in the summer contest.

I became vegan Oct 2004. I am looking forward to getting in shape! Thanks for making it possible - vegan style!

Hello Christine,

Welcome to the group! Thanks so much for promoting the website in your community.

Cool that Erik Marcus pointed you to us. We see him at a variety of events with both attend.

The Summer Shape Up contest will be pretty cool. I think we have nearly 30 people doing the Spring Challenge. It's not really a contest against others, but just one to motivate the participants to improve their own health and fitness and we make it a bit competitive just for extra motivation and to award cool prizes to those who complete teh 12-week challenge.

I think we have more people here from Texas than any other place so you're in luck!

Welcome aboard and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Spiral aint the only vegan place in the DFW area. Check out Veggie Garden and Suma Veggie Cafe, both in richardson off of Highway 75 @ Arapaho. They both have buffets around lunch time. The buffet is 5.60 at Veggie Garden, I havnt been to Suma's. It is probably around the same cost. I have also heard of a Buddhist lunch thing in Plano, but I have no more info. And on Inwood Dr. there is a cafe next to Tempest Tea. They have a bean burger that is vegan unless they lied to me.

Thanks everybody!

The Summer Contest is just what I need to put me on the right track - self-discipline wise. I'm looking forward to the challenge (and the support).

Thanks CollegeB - I actually do know about Veggie Garden and Suma Veggie and the Buddhist lunch but not the place on Inwood - I'll have to check that out! I just don't go to Veggie Garden or Suma Veggie because so much of their offerings are fake meat and lots of fried stuff. Haven't tried the Buddhist lunch buffet... need to get out more! LOL

Welcome Christine! I think a vegan diet & working out are great starts to regaining your health. I hope you are on the road to recovery! Like JW said, you are not the only old person here!

BTW, I love your flying spaghetti monster avatar!!!

FSM rocks!!!