Pro Wrestling appreciation thread.

I have seen there are some fans on here and i know Rob is down. I think pro-wrestling is like alcoholism: oncce you become one you are one for the rest of your life (even if you quit). i started liking WWF when i was 6 or 7, just before wrestlemania 2. Fan for years, then stopped watching it once it became a cable only show (didn't have cable). then got back into it in 97 or so when the Rock and Stone Cold were big and ECW was taking the world by storm. Lately i have started watching it again. It helps to have Tivo to ff past all the bullsh*t (there is plenty of it) and watch the wreslters i like such as Kurt Angle, Chris Masters, and to a lesser extent Carlito. I know its dorky, but its good entertainment and the story lines are usually better than what passes for a sitcom these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I am finding the alternative wrestling shows to have much better wrestlers these days. Ring of Honor, Total Non-stop Action (TNA), EZW, they have great matches with wrestlers like AJ Styles, Amazing Red, Loki, Christopher Daniels, Sabu, Jodie Fleish, Johnny Storm... So many big moves. I recently saw a double moonsault off the top of the cage, it was ridiculous (he did a moonsault, but flipped twice instead of once)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm an 'OGWF' (Original Gangster Wrestling Fan (random Tool reference):

"Polish Power" Ivan Putski

Chief Jay Strongbow

Andre the Giant

Bob Baclyn

Jimmy Superfly Snooka

Iron Sheik

George the Animal Steele

LOVED/HATED those guys, but always watched. Back then, it was still a ?? about whether or not it was "real". I was about 7 or 8, so I was on the "Real" team. Back then you could also copy the moves without breaking your neck. Dropkicks, sunset flips, careful with that piledriver!

I'd consume the WWF every Saturday morning and wash it down with some Creature Double Feature oldskool monster movies (when the monsters were guys in costumes). Anyone remember that? I don't know if that was a Boston thing or not.

Anyway, got back into it a bit during Hulkamania. Then back into it again with Rock and Cold Stone, but never quite like the old days when their was the suspension of disbelief.

• 3 weeks later...

id have to say ECW was my favorite. look at how many wrestlers came out of that federation. eddie guerreo, rey mysterio, Rob Van Dam, the dudley boys, chris jericho, stone cold steve austin, taz, raven, tajiri, super crazy, cactus jack/mankind, SABU!, we could go on and on.

R.I.P. LATINO HEAT!

ECW rocked back in the day. Are they back up again?

After 2001 when I didn't get hired by the WWF, I had a hard time watching it and haven't paid much attention to pro wrestling over the past half decade.

I do remember ECW rocking and really enjoying their federation.

ECW rocked back in the day. Are they back up again?

After 2001 when I didn't get hired by the WWF, I had a hard time watching it and haven't paid much attention to pro wrestling over the past half decade.

I do remember ECW rocking and really enjoying their federation.

I wouldn't say ECW is back up. WWE owns the name and all the tape library, and they ran an ECW:One Night Stand PPV last year and are planning on doing another one this year. It's assumed that Rob Van Dam will cash in his recently earned Money In The Bank title shot at the PPV which should be in June I think.

TNA has a bunch of ECW guys under contract now, so we won't be seeing the Dudley Boys, Sabu, Shane Douglas, Raven, Rhino, James 'Sinister Minister' Mitchell, or a few others there though.

• 3 weeks later...

Correction on my last post.

It looks like ECW actually is coming back as a separate brand under the WWE umbrella. For now it seems they're going to film it before Smackdown and air it in place of Velocity on WWE.com and probably ECW.com. They've already signed Sabu to a contract and are working on picking up a bunch of former ECW guys like Balls Mahoney and Axl Rotten. There's going to be a WWE vs. ECW special on the USA network sometime before the next One Night Stand PPV in June as well.

It looks like ECW actually is coming back as a separate brand under the WWE umbrella. For now it seems they're going to film it before Smackdown and air it in place of Velocity on WWE.com and probably ECW.com. They've already signed Sabu to a contract and are working on picking up a bunch of former ECW guys like Balls Mahoney and Axl Rotten. There's going to be a WWE vs. ECW special on the USA network sometime before the next One Night Stand PPV in June as well.

Don't believe the internet dirtsheets man!

If ECW returns, other than its annual, One Night Stand PPV, I will eat my sock.

It's already pretty much a done deal.

Joey Styles 'quit' last night and they're bringing Jim Ross back next week as lead announcer. Styles will be announcing for the new ECW. As I said before, Sabu is already signed to a contract specifically for ECW. The WWE vs. ECW special on USA Network has already been officially announced.

I hope you enjoy the taste of sock.

Joey Styles 'quit' last night and they're bringing Jim Ross back next week as lead announcer. Styles will be announcing for the new ECW. As I said before, Sabu is already signed to a contract specifically for ECW. The WWE vs. ECW special on USA Network has already been officially announced.

I knew about the WWE Vs. ECW special. But I still really doubt that ECW will return FULL time. Even if it does, its still gonna be ruined by the WWE.

I knew about the WWE Vs. ECW special. But I still really doubt that ECW will return FULL time. Even if it does, its still gonna be ruined by the WWE.

It's planned to return full time, even so far as to going back to holding shows in the bingo hall. As far as it being ruined? I'm sure it will be. They'll probably do another crappy invasion angle. Judging by all the crotch chops lately, it looks like they're going to put DX back together too, probably just in time to be the WWE leaders against the ECW invasion.

I am praying for a DX reunion!

Hopefully they'll turn Cena heel and Triple H face. They really need to do something about the amount of boos Cena is getting these days.

Shawn is 40 and Triple H is 37 or 38 I think. I don't think they can pull off the "rebellious" DX attitude anymore.

Cena's been a little more over after his series of wins over HHH, than he was a couple months ago. I don't hear nearly as many boos from the crowd. I agree that he really does need a heel turn though.

don't you think it's just boredom?

Cena is just the same old, same old everytime

getting kind of lame

The novelty of Mysterio is long worn off. How believable is it that he can be a title holder?

these guys are just plain boring!

in my humble opinion

How believable is it that he can be a title holder?

How believable is it that the Undertaker is a deadman? How believable is it that Austin got away with doing all that crap to Vince without getting fired?

Wrestling is about throwing reality out the window and getting caught up in the action. I think it is just poor booking on WWEs part. Rey mysterio wouldn't be World Champ today if Eddie Guerrero was still alive, I know its not a good thing to say, but its the truth.

this is true..... when you get right down to it, it's all quite unbelievable.

However,while we all know it's a bunch of crap, you can't take it too far!

The WWE does this way too often. Even though it is staged, you can't stray too far from plausibility or the fans will rebel.

I think some characters can get away with it due to their charisma (Undertaker is still kind of cool)

Mysterio to me is nothing more than a novelty. Something to joke about. (how he could possibly beat someone like the big show)

For him to CONSISENTLY win and hold the title is just taking it too far. A couple times is funny and novel but all the time...give me a break!!!

Cena can pull it off with his stature and athleticism but he's become pretty boring. I agree, they have to turn him heel.

Cena pulls off being a babyface BRILLIANTLY!! He plays up to the kids more than the smart fans. He is NOT a good wrestler, but a great character.

Oh just to let you all know. The new season of IwW Whiplash is gonna be airing pretty soon on TWC over here in the UK & Ireland. It is the company I am involved in. I know Rob wanted me to let him know about the new season. If your not in Europe, you can still watch the episodes on the website http://www.irishwhipwrestling.com/whiplashtv.html

Hope you all check it out!!