Robert's Contest Preparation Log

Thanks for the comment, I'm working hard these days.

I had a solid arm training session on Friday. My arms were like rocks, just totally hard, so that was cool

Then on Saturday I trained shoulders and rode the bike a bit. It wasn't as long of a workout because I was pretty tired, but it was still good.

I took Sunday off which was only my 2nd full day off in about 2 weeks. Getting ready for a contest, I like to be burning calories constantly to get really hard and tight and in good condition. I'm not real interested in recovery for growth, just a bit of rest for the muscles. I'm not going to "grow" in the final few weeks before a contest, but I can significantly change my body fat and my appearance by doing cardio, long training sessions and adjusting my nutrition program to fit my goals.

Today I trained chest and it was hardcore. I was wasted when I was done. I could barely press anything. Then I did some abdominal work and then road the bike on a pretty intense setting for 33 minutes so my legs were pretty worn out and I was sweating quite a bit.

I'll be back at it tomorrow to train back.

I just found out my contest will not be in 5 days. It has been canceled. So I will have to make a trip to California in 2 1/2 weeks to compete in Oakland. We'll see if I can raise funds for the trip. I still want to compete!

I trained back today and then went for a nice jog out in the sun.

I'm training with a lot of intensity but not super heavy because I don't want to get injured close to a contest. I'm also not quite as strong or capable of heavy lifts so I just do what feels safe.

My back workout looked something like this.

Lat pull downs to warm up

100 x 20

100 x 15

100 x 15

100 x 15

T-bar rows

Wide grip

80 x 16

90 x 15

100 x 12

Narrow grip

100 x 12

100 x 12

100 x 12

Hammer Strength Rows Upper

140 x 15

180 x 12

230 x 11

Drop set

180 x 8

90 x 12

Hyperextensions for lower back

Shrugs

270 x 15

270 x 15

270 x 15

270 x 15

Drop set

180 x 20

90 x 25

Then I did a little more lower back work, some ab work and then ran outside in the nice weather for about 20 minutes.

I'm training with a 42 year old guy named Larry and we're getting some great workouts in.

• 2 weeks later...

I trained up in Vancouver B.C. Canada last week and then had 2 training sessions at LA Fitness in Bellevue, WA, and then finally returned home to have some training sessions here at Downing's Gym.

I have less than one week until my competition! I hope it goes well.

I'm starting the day with morning hikes in the fresh air, then training, and another hike or form of cardio.

I don't like to restrict my diet a whole lot. I like to enjoy myself as I prepare for contests and as long as I look pretty good, I'll keep doing it that way.

Well, I better go to bed soon. I hike in the morning.

Only 5 days to go. I've been doing total body workouts, lots of hiking, and burning calories. I'm pretty light, but after this year I'll get heavier again.

I start tanning in 2 days, just with spray on ProTan so I need to complete a total body shave tomorrow.

Training is going well, just taking it easy so I don't get sore. If I'm sore I can't flex well or pose well.

I need to work on my routine!

Time to go....

I've been doing lots of hikes and light workouts, full-body workouts and a bit of posing.

Less than 48 hours until I compete! Time to get down to bus-in-ess!

I'll post results when I return home.