If you eat fish, read this...

Major Scientific Review: Eating Fish May Be Unhealthy

A major review of the 89 best studies between 2002 and 2006—published in the March 24, 2006, issue of the British Medical Journal—finds that there is no evidence of health benefits from eating oily fish or taking fish oil supplements. Researchers from nine institutions analyzed the 89 most rigorous studies that looked at the effects of omega-3 fatty acids on various health issues. Researchers said that they found no strong evidence that fish consumption had an effect on overall deaths or the prevention of heart disease, cancer, or strokes. Mike Knapton, a director at the British Heart Foundation, even noted that “some studies have shown a slightly increased risk associated with eating very high amounts of oily fish, which is possibly related to mercury levels.” The magazine New Scientist summarized the review: “An analysis of studies found little evidence that fish oil supplements cut the risk of heart problems and even suggests that they could increase risk of heart attack in men with angina.”

Although the study's authors did not find the expected increase in cancer rates as a result of eating fish, the authors suggested that the harm from “[t]oxic compounds, such as fat-soluble methylmercury, dioxins, and polychlorinated biphenyls … found in oily fish and fish oils … would be seen only after long-term [consumption].” They wrote that the “dioxins and polychlorinated biphenyls increase the risk of cancer” and that the mercury in fish “may increase the risk of myocardial infarction and cause neurological damage.” Most concerning, the authors wrote that “harmful effects of methylmercury could be cumulative.”

The link to the full article in the british Journal is

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/reprint/332/7544/752.pdf

Now, let's see if we can empathize with fish for a moment and see how it feels to be one for a second:

"Imagine reaching for an apple on a tree and having your hand suddenly impaled by a metal hook that drags you—the whole weight of your body pulling on that one hand—out of the air and into an atmosphere in which you cannot breathe. Would you like that happening to you? This is what fish experience when they are hooked."

Now on to the matter of fish being dumb:

"A recent issue of Fish and Fisheries, devoted to learning, cited more than 500 research papers on fish intelligence, proving that fish are smart, that they can use tools, and that they have impressive long-term memories and sophisticated social structures."

Does it mention if flax oil or omega-3s from microalgae lack any effect as well?

It would seem highly unlikely as there is so much in the scientific literature that indicates just how beneficial O-3s are to human health. We do know for a fact that they are "essential" to the diet and in the SAD (Standard American diet) the ratio of O-3 to O-6 in the diet is something like 1:20 instead of the desired 1:4. From my own standpoint, flaxseed has been a boon to my hair and skin quality--that's just the outward signs of its benefits.

It never ceases to amaze me how fish oil is touted for promoting health and yet very few people realize (including my own doctor) that fish do not of themselves create O-3s, they are consumed from the plants they feed on, i.e. the algae you mentioned. Now where in nature is the "second hand" product more beneficial than the primary source?

Does it mention if flax oil or omega-3s from microalgae lack any effect as well?

It would seem highly unlikely as there is so much in the scientific literature that indicates just how beneficial O-3s are to human health. We do know for a fact that they are "essential" to the diet and in the SAD (Standard American diet) the ratio of O-3 to O-6 in the diet is something like 1:20 instead of the desired 1:4. From my own standpoint, flaxseed has been a boon to my hair and skin quality--that's just the outward signs of its benefits.

It never ceases to amaze me how fish oil is touted for promoting health and yet very few people realize (including my own doctor) that fish do not of themselves create O-3s, they are consumed from the plants they feed on, i.e. the algae you mentioned. Now where in nature is the "second hand" product more beneficial than the primary source?

I only read part of this article, but it looks like it is saying that according to the this one study, omega-3s didn't help with cardiovasculur problems or cancer. In the case of this study I'm not sure if the source of the fatty acids, fish or plant, makes any difference