Hi from NH!

plc3

Hi All,

My name is Pam. I have been vegan for 7 years. I have dabbled with weight training for about 5 years, in varying degrees. Lately, I have been very dedicated, although I can not claim to be a "body builder"

I first learned of veganism in college, and was sooo turned off by it!!! My room mate was a vegan, and let's just say she did nothing to persuade me. Years later, walking through my work place, I came across the Why Vegan? pamphlet that someone had posted on a bulletin board. That was it - I was converted.

I started weight training in an attempt to lose weight. Before becoming vegan, I lost 30 pounds with Weight Watchers. Since then, I have gained it all back, plus a few more... But, although I am heavier, I am smaller, so I guess the weight training works. I have tried all sorts of diets that basically boil down to calorie reduction. My last attempt was the McDougal diet .

Anyway - that's as much as I want to bore you right now. I am looking to lose weight and hope to use this board for inspiration. I know that the key to weight loss is using more calories than you consume, I just need help with staying on track.

Oh - and I do have a fitness goal - to be able to do an unassisted pull-up - any tips?

Welcome Pam!

Great to have you here. Awesome that you are vegan and really into to weight training. That is the case for many of us here

My father is quoted in the Why Vegan pamphlets 3 times Those are pretty cool brochures, I send them out in the mail quite often.

I'm glad you found us and I look forward to getting to know you more. Enjoy the forum and start exploring!

Welcome Pam! There are a few of us who want to drop a few pounds.

I've found calorie reduction without cutting out my favorite foods is the best diet for me. Otherwise I start to feel deprived & then fall off the wagon hard! I also allow myself one treat day a week -- usually Friday. I frequently buy what my husband has come to call the "comfort doughnut." Friday morning I walk to the store, get a couple pieces of fruit, a small bit of granola, SILK yogurt & a doughnut. For the past 6 weeks, the doughnut is still sitting on the counter come Sunday. It's old, stale & dried out, but it helped me to know it was there if I wanted it. Silly I know, but little things like that can really help you mentally.

You'll find lots of inspiration here. If I don't feel like working out, I log on, visit this site & before you know it, I'm up off my butt doing something.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome!

To Robert -

My father is quoted in the Why Vegan pamphlets 3 times

That is pretty interesting. I would have to assume he is a vegan as well...? (I know I would probably find that out by visiting your webpages ) I don't personally know any other vegans, and, although my family is supportive of my choice, they don't really understand the why, how, and most importantly WHAT I eat, so I am thinking that your perspective of life as a vegan, coming from a supportive family, is very different than mine. I'll have to check out your pages!

To CrispyQ -

Where do you find vegan donuts? Realize that if you answer, I have no hopes of ever losing weight!! JK.... Just the other day I told someone that the one thing that I really missed were donuts.

On a serious note, for me, whatever diet I am following, if it works, I don't have a problem following it. It is when I hit the plateau, usually after losing about 10 pounds, that I have a hard time. So somehow, I have to figure out (mentally) how to get through then over the plateau.

Welcome aboard! You will be inspired for sure!

and concerning your fitness-goal: Pull-ups are a question of the mind and not only strength and body-weight. You have to believe it, then you can do it. I personally know guys who do more-than-bw for lats and cannot do one single pull-up!