Jay's log

Jay

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly settled. I mean I have a place to live but we hope it will be temporary. Not going to bother getting internet where we live currently. I just won't be online much I'm afraid for quite awhile. And everytime I get online I end up spending 3 hours... which I'd rather not do. It's a beautiful spring.....

Today 6/60 for 16 sets to start.

Trying to push myself into 6 rep sets. This means more intensity and harder to get as much volume. Still trying to get close to 300 per workout.

Played basketball and didn't get any back pain so have started C&Ps. Haven't had any back pain with them either.

6/70 for 50 minutes

Nice improvement. I've noticed (thanks to doing 40 to 60 sets of chins a 0.1 rep per set improvement is very noticeable) that fast energy release foods (processed sugars, rice) (high glycemic index stuff) always gives my strength a boost.

Woke up the other night at 1:30AM with agonizing pain in my middle back. I really toss and turn pretty hard so I thought maybe I messed something up while tossing and turning....perhaps the C&Ps I was doing got things set up and then the tossing finished them off...??? But I had no actual pain from doing C&Ps, but my back was starting to feel funny.

The pain was so bad I decided to go to the ER. I really was bad off. I could barely talk. I threw up on the way to the car. At the time I thought just the pain caused me to throw up. Also my whole body was shaking like I was going into shock.

At the hospital they seemed to think it more likely that I was having a kidney problem but they weren't certain. They did find blood in my urine but even a pulled muscle can cause that.

The next day I'm fine. No back pain at all.

I'm very worried that it's my kidneys and not my back.

It wouldn't make sense for such excruciating back pain to come on so sudden while just being in bed. Nor for it to go away so quickly.......

So since I was unjustly "let go" from LANL I've had shingles, a chronic anal fissure and now it looks like something serious is up with my kidneys. The one other person I know who was unfairly gotten rid of from LANL was dead within a year.

Woke up the other night at 1:30AM with agonizing pain in my middle back. I really toss and turn pretty hard so I thought maybe I messed something up while tossing and turning....perhaps the C&Ps I was doing got things set up and then the tossing finished them off...??? But I had no actual pain from doing C&Ps, but my back was starting to feel funny.

The pain was so bad I decided to go to the ER. I really was bad off. I could barely talk. I threw up on the way to the car. At the time I thought just the pain caused me to throw up. Also my whole body was shaking like I was going into shock.

At the hospital they seemed to think it more likely that I was having a kidney problem but they weren't certain. They did find blood in my urine but even a pulled muscle can cause that.

The next day I'm fine. No back pain at all.

I'm very worried that it's my kidneys and not my back.

It wouldn't make sense for such excruciating back pain to come on so sudden while just being in bed. Nor for it to go away so quickly.......

So since I was unjustly "let go" from LANL I've had shingles, a chronic anal fissure and now it looks like something serious is up with my kidneys....

May be; but, if I were you, I'd start getting some serious blood tests.

The one other person I know who was unfairly gotten rid of from LANL was dead within a year.

I hope not, Jay. However, if you feel that is a real possibility, what about interviewing an attorney? Don't make me worry!

• 2 weeks later...

So I don't know what was wrong with me.

raVen I certainly can't afford an attorney.... not that that would do any good anyway.

Anyway I've felt perfectly fine since my last post.

My routine is now:

Assisted OACs for scientific curiousity

C&Ps for functionality/quality of life

Arm stuff to show that vegans can have big muscles.

Extreme high volume for all....

So today I went to this place that has the rock climbing with an artificial wall and harness. I went there about 4 years earlier and back then I couldn't do it at all. Just didn't have the finger strength relative to my bodyweight although I could do about 15 chins probably 4 years ago at least. Now climbing it was extremely easy. I even climbed the medium difficulty one without using my legs at all. So that was fun.

Oh, I always wished I could rock climb! I couldn't lift myself like that, though; I have a very weak upper bod

... I even climbed the medium difficulty one without using my legs at all. So that was fun.

Awesome!

Glad you're feeling better too. It must be scary to not know why you're not feeling well.

Speaking of weak upper bod -- mine, of course -- guess what, Jay? I did 4 pullups!! Yay! I was so shocked. I haven't been really keeping up with my weight training, meaning, I rarely do any lifting which, was my goal for beginning to journal in the first place

But, I can't figure out why all of a sudden I'm able to do them! I've looked back at my journal to see, but, the truth is, it's pretty pathetic! I've only cut back on running which was only part of my goal. Main goal was to do weights for health .

Anyway...The pullups! Only thing I can think of is maybe resting more than I used to??? I still do a lot of cardio, but not 10 miles a day like I used to. So maybe that's why I can lift myself?? What do you think?

Glad you're feeling better too. It must be scary to not know why you're not feeling well.

Yeah and really annoying too. I used to pride myself on never getting sick. So much for that.

Speaking of weak upper bod -- mine, of course -- guess what, Jay? I did 4 pullups!! Yay! I was so shocked. I haven't been really keeping up with my weight training, meaning, I rarely do any lifting which, was my goal for beginning to journal in the first place

But, I can't figure out why all of a sudden I'm able to do them! I've looked back at my journal to see, but, the truth is, it's pretty pathetic! I've only cut back on running which was only part of my goal. Main goal was to do weights for health .

Anyway...The pullups! Only thing I can think of is maybe resting more than I used to??? I still do a lot of cardio, but not 10 miles a day like I used to. So maybe that's why I can lift myself?? What do you think?

Good job!

Well, reducing the running in the short term should make you feel pretty good. You've "peaked" your body and could probably do a really fast run right now. Maybe that can cross over to other things like pullups? I don't know. In general though since you're just getting back into them, it's not surprising that you would improve pretty quick.

So you like the HIT better? It will leave you feeling refreshed whereas more volume is boring and can just tire you out. I do high volume though, as you know.

Hey, started consistently adding kale to my smoothies. I just hadn't tried adding kale to blueberries before because it just doesn't sound like a good color combination. But it was very good and I've been doing that everyday.

Yep, I like the HIIT because it's helped me lose the softness on my stomach I can see some muscle on my abs now. Cutting back on the carbs helped too, though, because that is what I was eating in excess, consuming more than I was burning...despite the 10-mile runs! But it was being so acclimated to the running which contributed to that too. If I had been consuming too much protein or fat, I would have had the same problem; it just so happens running gives you the "runner's binge," and that's always carbs.

It also helped me to be able to do less

My arms are okay...about the same as last time you saw them So I still gotta work on those.

Hey, started consistently adding kale to my smoothies. Wink I just hadn't tried adding kale to blueberries before because it just doesn't sound like a good color combination. But it was very good and I've been doing that everyday.

WHOOOO!!! Yay! I knew once you got over the color you'd be okay Everyday is awesome.

Use some lighter greens and other fruit and it'll look prettier

Here is one on my journal (where you haven't commented, by the way ) made with Spinach, Parsley, Butter Lettuce, Cucumbers , and Pineapple:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Raven_PZ/Food%20Album/Lrg_Spnch_Pnpl_Prsly4.jpg

So did you use the stevia?

Yep, I like the HIIT because it's helped me lose the softness on my stomach I can see some muscle on my abs now. Cutting back on the carbs helped too, though, because that is what I was eating in excess, consuming more than I was burning...despite the 10-mile runs! But it was being so acclimated to the running which contributed to that too. If I had been consuming too much protein or fat, I would have had the same problem; it just so happens running gives you the "runner's binge," and that's always carbs.

Yeah TBH, lots of running is more about feeling good than looking good.. Unless you're doing like a 5 minute mile pace. I'm trying to get back into running though because I miss having that spring in my step.

Here is one on my journal (where you haven't commented, by the way ) made with Spinach, Parsley, Butter Lettuce, Cucumbers , and Pineapple:...

So did you use the stevia?

Well, with the blueberry smoothie I don't need it.... I use rice milk which is very sweet. Maybe I should try it with just water.... I hate experimenting with stuff that doesn't work out.... I found some at a Co-op before you sent me that and it's OK. Little different of course.

OK, I'll try to read your journal more later. Reading those books right now. Both are good reads.

... I'm trying to get back into running though because I miss having that spring in my step.

Still having a hard time with it, ha? Well, me too; but for me, it's still with the weights

Well, with the blueberry smoothie I don't need it.... I use rice milk which is very sweet. Maybe I should try it with just water....

Oh, well, that's even better! If you don't need it (stevia); don't use it. I use it because I use very little fruit in mine. And stevia is best enhanced with a citrus fruit, which is why I always add lemon to mine.

There is a powdered version that is slightly different from the liquid one you got.

But if you're doing creamy-ish with the rice milk then just do as you're doing . I use water or herbal teas for the liquid; I don't like 'milk in them.

OK, I'll try to read your journal more later.

Oh, no prob, it's just my food and exercise log. And, sadly, there's not much to comment on in regard to weight training Maybe just kick my ass once in a while

Reading those books right now. Both are good reads.

Oh, good, glad you're liking them. !

• 4 weeks later...

So after 27 months as a vegan at the age of 33 my cholesterol is 111. The "normal" range is 127 to 200. 111 is considered low but from what I've seen it's pretty normal for a vegan and not something to be worried about.

I moved 3 months ago though and haven't taken my B12 liquid supplement during that time. The only B12 I've gotten the last 3 months is what's in rice milk. I'd estimate I'm getting maybe 40% the RDA the last three months. So I suspected my B12 level might be low and sure enough it was. 152 where the normal is 180 to 900. So I made sure to go get some liquid B12 supplement. I'll check again in a few months. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine then with taking some B12 liquid supplement like once or twice a week.

Anyway after deciding I needed something heavier than chinups I had some trouble figuring out what to do. I tried a lot of different things and finally just decided to attempt unassisted one arm pullups. That and front lever attempts. Every other day 20 to 30 attempts total. I've improved an inch or so on OAPs and am getting pretty close on front levers. Still haven't settled on a pressing movement but think perhaps push presses with a close grip. (To save my left shoulder.)

Also started running. First I did 7 or so runs every other day at the track consisting of 6 100 to 300 meter fast runs. But that was not fun and made my knee start hurting. So instead I've decided to go back to a very long run every 4 days. Did 25, 40 and now 60 minutes. Should get back up to 2 hours plus pretty quick. I really enjoy that and wish I hadn't quit back two years ago when I became vegan.

... So instead I've decided to go back to a very long run every 4 days. Did 25, 40 and now 60 minutes. Should get back up to 2 hours plus pretty quick. I really enjoy that and wish I hadn't quit back two years ago when I became vegan.

You better keep up those green smoothies, Jay; two-hour runs are gonna cost you some minerals. And keep the calories up!

Got straps about 10 days ago so I could go longer on OAP workouts. First strap workout almost passed out on a front lever attempt. Little afraid to try them as hard now.

Ran 5 miles in 49 minutes few days ago. Bodyweight (thanks to running) has gone up. 220 first thing in the morning and above 225 (with clothes on) by evening.

Attempted an OAC while fresh yesterday. Usually I spin around until halfway between an OAC and OAP when attempting OACs (I don't spin on OAPs and that's why I usually just do them). By just touching the door so as to not spin around I got 2/3rds up on a OAC. But without touching the door I don't get very far at all. Have gotten slightly worse actually on OAPs thanks to weight gain.

Got straps about 10 days ago so I could go longer on OAP workouts. First strap workout almost passed out on a front lever attempt. Little afraid to try them as hard now.

Ran 5 miles in 49 minutes few days ago. Bodyweight (thanks to running) has gone up. 220 first thing in the morning and above 225 (with clothes on) by evening.

Attempted an OAC while fresh yesterday. Usually I spin around until halfway between an OAC and OAP when attempting OACs (I don't spin on OAPs and that's why I usually just do them). By just touching the door so as to not spin around I got 2/3rds up on a OAC. But without touching the door I don't get very far at all. Have gotten slightly worse actually on OAPs thanks to weight gain.

Straps, OAC OAP...whatevuh! Speak English, will you, you're in virtual America

I *love* any-and-every thing vintage; don't know if you do, but I thought you would appreciate this:

It was produced in 1958:

Ugly Americans

The more things change, they more they stay the same,

"It was produced when there was a lot of criticism of "Ugly Americans" that traveled to foreign lands and made nuiances--or worse--of themselves (unlike today ;o) ). It is amazing because of two reasons. (1) The A-list cartoonists that contributed to it, Charles Schulz, Walt Kelly, Al Capp, Hank Ketcham, Milton Caniff, Ernie Bushmiller, Rube Goldberg, etc. and (2) It's not exactly clear who the audience is. Is it trying to educate insensitive Americans? Or is it an arrogant defense to ungrateful foreigners who should be damn happy for the American dollars being spent in their lands?"

" A glance at the introduction clears that up: it is "... a gentle hint to you [Americans] not to be what our enemies say we are." The use of the word "enemies" is informative. Printed during the Cold War (1958), it was clearly a countermeasure against Anti-American propaganda, whether real or imagined, put about by evil commie plotters."

Straps are these things you wrap around your wrist and then around the bar so that you can hold on to the bar beyond when your grip would normally give out. OAP/C is one armed pullups/chinups.

Yes, those are funny cartoons. They even have Schulz there. I somehow assume he wouldn't be rightwing, although I guess I could see in 1958 liberal types taking part in that. You ever read Mallard Fillmore? Now there's a crappy rightwing cartoon. Not funny at all. They put it next to Doonesbury for equal time or something in one of the local papers.

-------------------

Today was a very very good workout. Just touching my hand against the door frame in order to not spin out of the OAC position I did 8 or 9 singles on the right arm getting 2/3 to 1/2 up. (Where 1/2 is the upper arm parallel to the ground.) Only got 1/2 up once or twice on the left arm though. Did this first thing in the morning at a bodyweight of 220. Took 3 days off instead of the usual 1/occasional 2. Was planning on 3 or 4 days rest for a while as mentally I've felt a little sick of lifting.

Yesterday ran that same course (it's probably only 4.7 miles as opposed to 5) and did it in 45 minutes.

• 1 month later...

So I pulled a muscle slightly in my foot and I've been resting it ever since I did that hard run quite a while ago... It's been a month and it's still not better. I think walking is stopping it from healing.

I've been doing a 3 rep set every minute for 30 minutes once every 3 to 6 days. That's all the time I have as I'm extremely busy as usual. So far did this with chinups with a 35 pound pack and military presses with 103lbs. Only managed 2 rep sets with 113lbs on the presses so far. Hurt my neck also. Doing chinups.... Ridiculous. Think it's the military presses which set me up for it.