child abuse?

dandylioness

You know, I remember hearing about that a few years ago and then it turning out that was taken out of context or not true. I can't remember, but as of now, it sounds like some wild anecdote floating out there. It was even referenced in that feminist/anti-vegetarian Guardian article compassionategirl and CollegeB were talking about in some other thread. It could be true, but I'd really like some substantiated fact. Let's all look into it to see what we can find.

Yeah, I keep hearing about this certain case of a family be charged with child abuse for malnourishing their kids on a vegan diet. Just seeing if anyone knows whether it is actually true ...

I guess whether it is true isn't all that important. Just with any other diet, you have to be smart about it. To blame veganism for malnourishment isn't exactly fair; the same could happen on the Standard American Diet. Correlation doesn't prove causation (and all that good stuff). Again, it would be cool to find the actual case at hand to address any specifics.

wow. crazy links. i disagree with the crazy vegan man for threatening to kill his kid. i mean, being vegan shouldnt he be against murder of all kinds, ESPECIALLY that of your CHILD??!!!!!!

even if it WAS a threat.... i mean ocme on its your kid.

it seems to me that raising a kid vegan would be really healthy. I would like to do so in the future. but if i run the risk of malnourishment i would definitely say no. im still a new vegan. i know milks not healthy, but today someone told me there were enzymes in milk meant only for humans. i didnt have anything to say because i hadnt heard this before.

i know milks not healthy, but today someone told me there were enzymes in milk meant only for humans. i didnt have anything to say because i hadnt heard this before.

Okay...let me be perfectly clear about this. There is NOTHING in a non-human animal's milk that is FOR human animals.

Cow's milk is for calves...not humans. if people really think about it and put their minds to it, then it should repulse them. hello???!!!!!....You are drinking the milk of another species. talk about unnatural. Nature intended the milk for calves, not humans.

Raising your kids vegan is not only NOT child abuse, but the best thing you can do for them, if done properly and in an informed matter. But as somebody said, you have to inform and educate yourself about how to raise vegan kids. I know a few people that have healthy thriving kids on a vegan diet - kids that are healthier than their meat eating counterparts. For example, they dont have allergies, they dont get ear infecions, they have HEALTHY eating habbits, which will serve them well later on in their lives, etc etc.

I recommend browsing the website for the Physicians Committee of Responsible medicine at www.pcrm.org. They have lots of info on the "myths" about dairy, raising vegan kids, sugar addiction, etc.

And, tdouglas is a good example of somebody we have all met on cyberspace that is living breathing proof than an INFORMED and proper vegan diet is appropriate in all cycles of life - from when one is in a woman's womb, all the way to adulthood.

peace