Capoeira

I've always thought capoeira looked interesting, but have never lived near a gym that taught it. I suppose there were probably some in Florida, but I didn't know anything about that kind of thing when I still lived there.

One of the main reasons I think it looks interesting is because I'm told that capoeira classes are filled with smoking-hot, ridiculously flexible girls.

this is one of those things i've always wanted to try. but like driver, i just never found someplace near me that gives lessons. but i would just love to learn. the acrobatics of it are amazing. it's sort of a combination dance and martial art. it's just beautiful to look at. and it must keep you in great shape.

for those unfamiliar with it, here is a video of what it looks like and here is some background info on it.

i do capoeira. i take free classes in flagstaff, az at the HIVE.

currently i am in havasu and wont be back to flagstaff til july.

capoeira is fun and i learned some really neat moves.

I saw it first at the International Festival last year.

Brilliant.. flexibility, fitness, agility, dance / martial art form.

Topher - I might be able to go for some classes not too close by, but what kind of exercises would someone recommend doing before one starts.

I saw it first at the International Festival last year.

Brilliant.. flexibility, fitness, agility, dance / martial art form.

Topher - I might be able to go for some classes not too close by, but what kind of exercises would someone recommend doing before one starts.

Back arches (hold for as long as you can. The longest I can do is a minute, the longest I've heard of is 15)

handstands(propped until you get the strenth to do it on your own)

walking on hands

headstands (easy, just get the balance down)

kidneystands (lboth nads on the ground, shoulder or head makes a tripod, legs in the air)

splits (not crucial, but you'll thank yourself)

lots of stretching

focus on control when moving, not speed

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler57.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler19.htm

And if you're wondering, yes, capoeristas spend alot of time upside down.

Damn BG. Is Mike Mahler a veggie?

I need to find a personal trainer / training partner in town to get out and about with me.. doing workouts and stuff like that.

I don't know if he is a veggie or not. I don't have any evidence of it either way. I'm haven't started doing all of the mahler things myself, but am wokring up to it.

Damn BG. Is Mike Mahler a veggie?

I need to find a personal trainer / training partner in town to get out and about with me.. doing workouts and stuff like that.

mahler recommends diets that arent vegan, such as using whey protein.

• 2 weeks later...
Mike Mahler is vegan but trains lots of people who aren't.

Did that post up above say to put both nads on the ground for kidneystands?

You can do either. I've seen them done with one hand, or two, but you gotta be pretty strong to be able to do it with one.