How many calories do you eat per day?

My daily metabolic rate is about 1800 calories, not including exercise (I'm 5'9" and 155lbs). As I do a good amount of cardio (training for Marathons and triathlons), I burn 800 or so a day. On a vegan diet I find that it is hard to get enogh calories to not only avoid losing weight, but to actually bulk up. I have a goal of getting to 170 pounds.

1) what is your height/weight?

2) how many calories do you get per day?

3) what are some of the key foods you eat to help you get there?

I good way to find about 500 more calories is:

Eat more grains (corn, rice, etc.)

Beans also have high calories.

Whole wheat breads

Whole wheat pasta

Fruit, especially dried (a handful of raisons is about 200 calories), each serving is 60 (citrus) to 200 (large bananas or handful of dried fruit.)

Shake – I use soy yogurt, frozen blueberries, rice milk and sometimes add hemp. You can add nut butter (peanut, cashew, almond etc.) for even more calories.

Moderate amount of above would easily add 500 calories. Eat a lot and you could add 1000-1500 easily.

A competing body builder that posts here periodically eats about a dozen bananas at lunch, as I recall.

I don't count calories, but I seem to have trouble gaining weight, so I can't guess more than 3,000.

I weigh about 175, I'm an even 6' high, and I eat a lot of granola, nuts, beans and other good quality foods. (No soy though, it makes me break out)

increase your seeds and nuts intake, and also complex carbs like sweept potatoes, broccoli, lentils, etc.

I think that is what rob eats.

nice to see you inquiring about vegan diets.

Dont be discouraged.you can gain weight on a vegan diet. Just ask jonathan, rob, etc. Will has made some huge gains in mass on a vegan diet. i am sure they will respond to this post soon.

Also, i see you are into triathlons and stuff? brendan brazier is a vegan ironman triathlon champ, and he is the formulator of Vega.

his site is www.brendanbrazier.com if you want to read up on his story.

I'm 6 ft and went from 150 lbs to more than 190 mainly by eating lots of nuts, beans, nuts, oatmeal, nuts, and more nuts. I'm around 180 now. When I was 150 I was really skinny, and when I was 190 I was starting to get fat. I don't eat a set amount per day, some days I eat as little as a 1000 calories, other days I'll 5000 or more calories. Basically I just listen to my body and it tells me when I'm hungry and what days to take it easy and what days to eat like crazy. When I was bulking I just kept eating even after my body said stop though. I would just say, okay I'm full but I'm going to make myself eat another cup of peanuts, and that worked for gaining.

I'm 6 ft and went from 150 lbs to more than 190 mainly by eating lots of nuts, beans, nuts, oatmeal, nuts, and more nuts. I'm around 180 now. When I was 150 I was really skinny, and when I was 190 I was starting to get fat. I don't eat a set amount per day, some days I eat as little as a 1000 calories, other days I'll 5000 or more calories. Basically I just listen to my body and it tells me when I'm hungry and what days to take it easy and what days to eat like crazy. When I was bulking I just kept eating even after my body said stop though. I would just say, okay I'm full but I'm going to make myself eat another cup of peanuts, and that worked for gaining.

What happens when your body keeps telling you to eat.. when you actually shouldnt be?

What I am trying to say is this:

- Somewhere in my late teens I built myself a tremendous APPETITE. I was like JUGHEAD from the ARCHIE comics. At a 5'11" 160 frame I could out eat friends who were twice my size ..

They would be like you dont eat.. Im like.. watch me.. I'd eat and they'd accept defeat.

Ofcourse, I would not gain a pound i.e. get fat. This continued till early 20s.

Then I moved to the US of A and my food habits went down the drain.

I dont know if it was the fact that I would overeat at dinners due to a lack of proper / missed lunch or the fact that FREE PIZZA and coke became easy eats that did not need one to go out and get food.

But I still have an appetite.. probably not the same since I am not as active anymore.. but I still have that LANKY frame.. but have this PIZZA remanent around my gut.

What happens when your body keeps telling you to eat.. when you actually shouldnt be?

What I am trying to say is this:

- Somewhere in my late teens I built myself a tremendous APPETITE. I was like JUGHEAD from the ARCHIE comics. At a 5'11" 160 frame I could out eat friends who were twice my size ..

They would be like you dont eat.. Im like.. watch me.. I'd eat and they'd accept defeat.

Ofcourse, I would not gain a pound i.e. get fat. This continued till early 20s.

Then I moved to the US of A and my food habits went down the drain.

I dont know if it was the fact that I would overeat at dinners due to a lack of proper / missed lunch or the fact that FREE PIZZA and coke became easy eats that did not need one to go out and get food.

But I still have an appetite.. probably not the same since I am not as active anymore.. but I still have that LANKY frame.. but have this PIZZA remanent around my gut.

I know the feeling. I'm the same way.

a) 185cm/77kg

b) as many as possible!

c) LOTS of nuts and raisins (500g + per day). I've found a really nice brand of raw, natural nuts and raisins, packaged in foil: the nuts are really crunchy and the raisins succulent. I can't get enough!

LOTS of fresh fruit: red grapes, watermelon, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mangos etc. etc.

LOTS of veg (some technically fruit), salad stuff: spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, avocado, olives, cucumber, celery etc. etc.

Lentils, beans

Tabbouleh/Tabouli - loving it

Pine nuts

To be added to fruit smoothies: hemp seed, golden linseed, pumpkin seeds, all freshly ground using an electric coffee grinder.

Just eat as much of all this good stuff as possible. Lift big. Sleep lots. Feel great.

Edited by Gorilla

c) LOTS of nuts and raisins (500g + per day). I've found a really nice brand of raw, natural nuts and raisins, packaged in foil: the nuts are really crunchy and the raisins succulent. I can't get enough!

Yeah I 2nd that. Nuts with raisins is the way to go because the raisins add taste

• 2 weeks later...
1) what is your height/weight?

2) how many calories do you get per day?

3) what are some of the key foods you eat to help you get there?

1) - 189 cm, 75 kg

2) - average from fitday results: 2698 [24% fat, 63% carbs, 12% protein], some days just 1000, other days up to 4000. depends on my mood.

3) - the regular stuff minus the meat, no special fortified thingies, no extra nuts or fruits. i just eat what i get my hands on.

although i should (?) start to worry about some extra protein when i start going to the gym.

1) 203cm/6ft 8", 117.7kg/259lbs

2) Average is 6000 calories a day. Today though I will make 6700. This consists of about 280g protein, 200g+ of fat and the rest carbs.

3) Key food is pea protein isolate, which I eat about 150-200g a day of. Otherwise I just eat normal stuff.

Jonathan

-im about 6' and around 185lbs (was 200 before xmas)

--no idea, probably between 1500-2000 *shrugs*

---i love the hemp, a morning without hemp i feel imcomplete, im not kidding. if i dont have my hemp in my morning shake or on my bread or cereal i just dont feel the same throughout the day

---just started eating lentils after you guys saying how g00d they are, and reading at the store 100g=30g protein, yay.

---and i try to stick quinoa whenever i feel hungry or weak, fyi it has tons of fiber, g00d fats, its a complete protein, and after c00king it absorbs water so you're actually eating water, which people say is better then drinking it apparently

---greens powders (not needed that much but i like to have an extra b00st)

---started eating dates, omg people they are so much sweeter then any sweets you've ever had i guarantee it

---im also starting to eat more nuts, pecans, walnuts, almonds for that extra g00die fats and protein