Help..does anyone here suffer from frequent canker sores???

JW

I've always had a problem with them

The vegan diet seems to be relatively pain free (if I avoid citrus) but textured foods like Cliff Bars or Vega Bars do a number on me.

I've tried the mouthwash treatment & salt water but it's just short term relief.

any suggestions re: faster healing, prevention??

I used to get them a lot when I was a teen.

What I did to get rid of them fast is to take a glob of salt and hold it over the sore (warning, this will make you drool a lot, so do it over a sink!). Hold for about 10 minutes, then rinse. Seemed to work for me, as I recall, and they went away very quickly.

I, like kathryn, enjoy pain, so did the salt thing too.

I've read about grapefruit seed extract working for this. You would use only a drop in some water and rinse. It's really potent, so no direct contact. that stuff is good for a lot of things, supposedly. But, I haven't tried it for that; I've only read that.

also, canker sores and those dry patches on the sides of the mouth can be a B-vitamin definciency. Are you getting your B's? A B-complex vitamin supplement would be a good idea anyway, or just make sure you're getting them.

could it be an allergic reaction to something? If it's the bars, look at the possible irritants in the ingredients list.

thanks so much for the feedback!!

now comes the hard part....if it is allergy related, how to figure it out?

I'm not sure if it would be related to the bars or not..it was the texture that gave me discomfort. I'm thinking pineapple! Had quite a bit last week (I also remember reading in a holistic health book that pineapple has been known to be a trigger/irritant)

also.... that salt thing sounds painful

it really works???? ( oh I'm such a wimp )

I'm thinking pineapple! Had quite a bit last week (I also remember reading in a holistic health book that pineapple has been known to be a trigger/irritant)

Yep. That would do it. Too much acidic fruit can cause them when you are not used to eating that much. The last time I had one, I was eating a grapefruit a day. Ouch.

~ Adrienne

They do say that women can tolerate pain more than men.

I dare you!

If there is a bacterial component to these, then maybe tea tree oil would work .

They do say that women can tolerate pain more than men.

I dare you!

If there is a bacterial component to these, then maybe tea tree oil would work .

@#$$% &$%$

(I tried it)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to get them a lot.

I heard that it is common to be allergic to Sodium Laurel Sulfate which is found in most toothpastes. This allergy causes one's mouth to dry out and that causes canker sores.

I began using Rembrandt Canker Sore toothpaste and have pretty much eliminated canker sores.

I used to get them a lot.

I heard that it is common to be allergic to Sodium Laurel Sulfate which is found in most toothpastes. This allergy causes one's mouth to dry out and that causes canker sores.

I began using Rembrandt Canker Sore toothpaste and have pretty much eliminated canker sores.

hmmm

I've never heard of this. Where do you buy it?

This could be an easy solution.

I also heard that borax (homeopathic remedy) is supposed to help