Silva

Riggs

Lister

Sanchez

Davis(Mir's boy still?)

Gonzanga

Fisher

Horn

we should have friendly competitions and whoever predicts the most wins per event, wins that one and gets a point. Then we can keep track of points as the events go on.

What do you guys think?

Edited by The Mighty Haru

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd hafta agree with you Haru, Matt is the favored winner.

But I have a question!

Has anyone seen Royce fight recently? Has he been in the spotlight?? or is this his "return" fight? That may be a factor....

It's too bad you don't fight anymore, and I figure that your knees would be better if you didn't have to haul around so much lardo.... fat ass! Maybe you should try the whole raw thing, remember what it was like sprawlin with me?? had to nick name me "Gumby"

SPEAKING of which, we still going halfers on the show?

Haru's knees will return to the cage next year sometime.(hopefully).

I've lost a pound a day since I started the body for life biatch!!!!!

And yes we're still going halfers on the ufc.

You Gumby Raw pig.

I wonder why they've got Melvin on there. He was the first one eliminated from TUF 2 and now he's on a ppv event.

and he also lost to josh "the dentist" neer since then. though melvin cut him open really bad with an elbow, neer managed to pull off a submission before the docs were able to stop the fight. great comeback for neer.

well they probably wont televise melvin's fight. i believe the ppv's first fight is going to be sanchez vs. alessio. maybe if they have time they may show after the main event. depending on how it goes.

so the hughes/gracie fight is a non title fight. so even if gracie wins he will not get the belt. is this a one off fight for gracie?

So if its a non title fight that means next for the welterweight belt it will be Matt Hughes VS George St. Pierre. I hope George gets his revenge!!

Yup! GSP will hopefully get the "W" this time around. If I remember correctly , didn't he pretty much control the majority of the fight untill Matt caught him with that armbar?

I dont want to sound ignorant but I was watching the "Best of" on spike once and saw a guy named Josh Burkett or something, he is bald, small amount of hair under his bottom lip, he was in one a the Ultimate figher shows, I dont know if it was 1 or 2. anways I saw him fight, and he flew through the air and front choke this guy. really fast , anyway he was calling out diego and stevenson, I would love to see that fight. Josh (that part of the name I am sure of) was hurt and could not compete effectively on the Ultimate fighter (I think that he was cut), so this was the first time I had seen him fight at full capacity, wow

I dont want to sound ignorant but I was watching the "Best of" on spike once and saw a guy named Josh Burkett or something, he is bald, small amount of hair under his bottom lip, he was in one a the Ultimate figher shows, I dont know if it was 1 or 2. anways I saw him fight, and he flew through the air and front choke this guy. really fast , anyway he was calling out diego and stevenson, I would love to see that fight. Josh (that part of the name I am sure of) was hurt and could not compete effectively on the Ultimate fighter (I think that he was cut), so this was the first time I had seen him fight at full capacity, wow

That would be Josh Burkman, who trains with Team Quest (same place as Chris Leben, Ed Herman, Randy Couture, and Matt Lindland)

http://www.joshburkman.com/images/gallery/burkman_tuf2.jpg

He's the one who eliminated Melvin Guillard from TUF2, but had to leave the show due to suffering a broken arm during that fight.

I just watched the post fight interview on the web, for royce gracie, Man he has been in america for a time, so I dont think it is a language barrier, but he is not a good interview. one word answers. good thing the sport itself is engaging.

speaking of engaging, how come we never hear anything about Rich Franklin. I mean as far as on free tv,. the only thing I tend to see, is that exhibition fight with shamrock, that was a very dissapointing show for shamrock.

Does rich franklin even fight as often as the other champs?

I seem to hear about more matches being fought by the other champs.

Is the weight division he is in softer on talent the other divisions?

There's also a tentative fight scheduled for UFC 62 in August between Diego Sanchez and Karo 'the Heat' Parisyan.

Oddly, Kazushi Sakuraba, Gary Goodridge and the upper management of K-1 were at this event and sitting with Dana White. Maybe a possibility of a cross-promotional event? They've already got a talent exchange going (Royce is under contract to K-1). A Rich Franklin vs. Sakuraba fight would be pretty cool to see.

I saw him fight, and he flew through the air and front choke this guy. really fast , anyway he was calling out diego and stevenson, I would love to see that fight. Josh (that part of the name I am sure of) was hurt and could not compete effectively on the Ultimate fighter (I think that he was cut), so this was the first time I had seen him fight at full capacity, wow

i saw that fight too! i remember seeing the interview where he called out diego sanchez. not so subtley either. he said something like "i guarentee i will kick diego sanchez's ass". the problem with that is that since he said that, he lost his next fight to john fitch. so it may be a little longer before we see him up against diego sanchez.

needless to say i am heartbroken about the outcome of the main event last night. i was pulling for royce as was most of the crowd last night.

Oddly, Kazushi Sakuraba, Gary Goodridge and the upper management of K-1 were at this event and sitting with Dana White. Maybe a possibility of a cross-promotional event?

yeah what were those guys doing there? i was surprised when i saw big daddy goodrich there, and of course speculation was rampant. then the whole crowd was buzzing.

i didn't think the arloski/sylvia rematch would be so soon. i figured they would have them each fight a couple of fights to build up the hype more. not as they don't have enough hype with the shamrock/ortiz rematch. but i am all for giving arlovski another shot at the title. so onward to UFC61!

I hardly think that the middle weight devision is softer on talent. I mean you have Dave Terrell, Chris Leben, Patrick Cote, Dennis Hallman, David Loiseau, and Evan Tanner. I dont know why they arent doing more title fights in the middle weight division. Id personally like to see Rich Franklin fight again. Rich Franklins last fight was against David Loiseau in UFC 58. So really not too long ago i guess.

UFC 61: Bitter Rivals will be on July 8 with a Tim Sylvia vs. Andrei Arlovsky rematch, and the Ken Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz rematch.

The Shamrock vs Ortiz match I am not that interested in as much as the Sylvia vs Arlovsky. Now, the latter, I'd pay money to see!

I hardly think that the middle weight devision is softer on talent. I mean you have Dave Terrell, Chris Leben, Patrick Cote, Dennis Hallman, David Loiseau, and Evan Tanner. I dont know why they arent doing more title fights in the middle weight division. Id personally like to see Rich Franklin fight again. Rich Franklins last fight was against David Loiseau in UFC 58. So really not too long ago i guess.

see that was probably a great fight, but I did not know anything about it, as a casual observer. My attention was on the more "pushed" fights. The ones that received the 1 hour intros to the public. Couture / liddell

gracie/hughes, tito/shamrock (soon). even Franklin/quarry (that one did not get such a great push, but I never got to see quarry fight in "tuf1" so I was interested, also it is the only fight I was aware of that franklin even had in the last year). they dont seem to have found a good hook for franklins fights. With all the mma comps making their way to the tv now, IFL, Pride etc,, the ufc needs more hooks. it is like ortiz said in a sherdog.com interview, the ufc needs to create an emotional connection between the fighter and the fan. I dont think that they do that with franklin, I mean his xyience commercial is great, but he needs more.

It has been said that ALi is considered great , not because of how great his opponents were, but because of how great the general public thought his opponents were. For franklin to get what he deserves as a great fighter, he needs me (the general public) to want him to get beat up or to beat someone else up. or perhaps to be afraid of either. but in the end to pay attention and care. I want to know what happens to franklin or his opponent, the way I cared and care what happens to couture, gracie, tito, arloski (sp), liddell. they just dont seem to put enough energy into promoting his (franklins) matches.

oh well me two cents anyway

pazios makes an interesting point. they don't really seem to push the franklin fights as much as others. maybe because other fighters are just more well known, or maybe because they need an opponent for franklin that has that undefeatable quality about him. what ever it is they don't push those as must see fights. but it is just a matter of time. as sinisterkungfu points out, the possiblities of a cross promotional fight would bring a lot of attention to that fight.

here is an interesting thing i noticed yesterday. me and my friends were hanging out and other friends joined us thru out the day. the subject matter turned to the UFC and MMA several times. "what did you think about diego sanchez last night?", "how about that quick mike swick?", "did you see that flying knee from spencer fisher?" and of course "i really wanted royce to win". it's all we were talking about the whole day. then we turn on the tv to see any coverage about it. and what do we see? people playing cards and some guys driving around in circles for 200 miles. now i'm not saying that poker and race car driving don't deserve any coverage. but everytime i turn on the tv i see poker challenge this and that, but why are MMA fighters not getting any coverage anywhere else? these guys are busting their balls in that octagon. the amount of traning and discipline they put into this is huge. as popular as the PPV's are and as hard as they train, it's a shame that MMA fighters get no recognition in the mainstream sports news at all.

then we turn on the tv to see any coverage about it. and what do we see? people playing cards and some guys driving around in circles for 200 miles. now i'm not saying that poker and race car driving don't deserve any coverage. but everytime i turn on the tv i see poker challenge this and that, but why are MMA fighters not getting any coverage anywhere else? these guys are busting their balls in that octagon. the amount of traning and discipline they put into this is huge. as popular as the PPV's are and as hard as they train, it's a shame that MMA fighters get no recognition in the mainstream sports news at all.

It's because most mainstream news/sports outlets consider it human cock-fighting still and it's not really looked at as a legit sport.

Of course the only thing more pathetic than watching poker on tv (and since when the hell is that a sport???) is watching bowling on tv.

Race car driving comes in a close fourth right behind golf.

yeah how do you make race car driving exciting. "tells the fans what's happening now bob", "well, they're still driving around in a circle dave, only 150 more laps."

i think MMA should get at least a much coverage as boxing. it's a shame they don't consider it a sport. these aren't just some drunken bar fights. the discipline, skill, and techniques you have to learn take a lot of training as we all know. it takes a lot of commitment. but i am just preaching to the converted here.

maybe the mainstream view will change someday. until then we have to deal with Extreme Poker Challenge and Competition Fishing.