New, in Los Angeles

lizziewill

Hi, my name is Liz. I'm 31 years old, vegetarian for 5 years, vegan since November and LOVING IT! My husband went from omnivore to vegan in November too and he too is loving it. Feeling great. I even do vegan personal chef/consulting for 3 clients currently. I've always enjoyed cooking and vegan cooking is a wonderful adventure with numerous rewards!

I've been a yoga instructor since 2003. However, I just joined a gym yesterday because I have never (that's right, I said never) done any cardio consistently and I feel like I better get started. I think my resting heart rate is a little high due to this. Before I started doing yoga in 1997, at the age of 22, I didn't exercise AT ALL. I've always been blessed with a small frame so it looked like I was fit, but got easily winded, etc. Still do. Though I have lots more lung capacity and muscle definition from my yoga practice, I KNOW I need to also do cardio and possibly light weight training. I kind of don't know where to start! A little nervous because the couple of times I've done things like elliptical trainer or spinning and exerted myself, my heart pounded SO HARD it freaked me out...and I got a bit light headed.

Any suggestions from trainers would be appreciated! Or just say hello.

Welcome Liz!

Thanks for finding us and saying hi. Great to hear that you and your husband are both vegans now.

Explore the forum and you'll find all kinds of helpful information and you'll also get to know some really cool people.

Great to have you here and welcome aboard!

Hi Robert, thanks for the reply!

I had no idea before I posted of the wealth of info on this site! I came across it by accident when I googled "wholesale vegenaise" - how random is that?????

I'm so jazzed to find this...I've been reading threads for the last hour and a half.

I absoluetly *****LOVE********* your avatar. Though I think your one doggie has mistaken your other doggie for a chair, kind of like my kitties mistake me for hammocks.

It is awesome that your former omni hubby has an awesome vegan chef like you to cook for him! (lucky guy). If I lived in LA, I would totally hire you to teach me how to cook awesome vegan food that could blow my omni people away!

Welcome to the board, and feel free to post some recipes when you get the chance.

Hi Compassionate and SeaSiren! I've read LOADS of your posts on other threads (I've been lurking for hours now, ha) and I'm so glad to meet you both.

Yeah, my Lulu dog (the black and white one) always sits on Bu. She's totally the alpha dog, even though she's much younger and female. They're so great!

Thanks for your compliments, CG! Whenever people ask my husband how he "does it" (the vegan thing) he always says it would be totally impossible without me preparing all our food, since he doesn't really cook or have an interest in it at all. I'm still SO proud of him though for going veg/vegan without me even asking him. We went to this INSANELY wonderful vegan restaurant on our honeymoon in Kauai (The Blossoming Lotus) and he just decided then and there that that was it, and he went vegetarian that day in August, and then we both went vegan in November. Big deal for him, a kid who grew up in Houston TX and was raised on BBQ! Being animal lovers, and learning about the environmental impact was what really did it for him at first. And once he saw that there was another way, and learned more thru PETA and just educating ourselves by watching documentaries like "Earthlings" and such just locked it in for him. Now he doesn't have a taste for meat AT ALL, and we even go out of our way to avoid the meat counter when shopping at whole foods because the smell nauseates us now. It really trips him out to think that it was not that long ago that he was omni, when he can't fathom it now. He's so passionate about being vegan now, and in a lot of ways much more outspoken about it than I am, because it's had such a positive impact on his life. And being with someone who eats the way you do really brings you closer - a couple of my clients are married to omni's and it's very difficult for them.

Speaking of awesome vegan cooking and the Blossoming Lotus, if you don't know about that cookbook, then you NEED TO!!! (The Blossoming Lotus: Vegan World Fusion Cuisine). My copy is totally beat up from getting so much love! It is amazing, and all your omni friends will be blown away by these recipes. They might not ALL be body building or fitness friendly, but they're vegan, and that's the important part!

Edited by lizziewill

Yeah, my Lulu dog (the black and white one) always sits on Bu. She's totally the alpha dog, even though she's much younger and female. They're so great

Bitches rock, don't we? Uh, I mean, don't they?

Speaking of awesome vegan cooking and the Blossoming Lotus, if you don't know about that cookbook, then you NEED TO!!! It is amazing, and all your omni friends will be blown away by these recipes. They might not ALL be body building or fitness friendly, but they're vegan, and that's the important part!

I have heard of both the restaurant and the cookbook! And I couldnt agree with the rest of the above paragraph more....