Soy Allergy?

Upping protein to 40% intake (new program which starts today) and was having a tofu stir fry (tofu, green pepper & onions cooked in a little olive oil w/ touch of sea salt and black pepper). VERY shortly after intake I felt like someone hit me in the head with a baseball bat. Then I became extremely congested in my sinuses and finally had trouble swallowing. I have never had this kind of reaction but don't take in this much soy in a sitting normally.

Which got me thinking:

I have been using Soy Protein Shakes and originally added lite soy milk to mix it, it made me really sick. I though it was just "too heavy" and began to only use water. After drinking the soy protein I am always very lethargic and felt weak and sleepy which I though ment I maybe had a great workout. Now I am beginnning to wonder if I am developing a soy allergy.

I have never though I had one, but then again I didn't develope my latex allergy until I was 22, even though I had never had one prior. Same with cat dander, now I can't pet a cat without itching and if I am around one prolonged have severe respiratory problems.

Could I be developing one even tough I hadn't had noticible problem at first?

Yeah, it sucks but it is possible. I have to do an allergietest everyone 6 months or so, because they keep changing. Right now I'm allergic to milk (which I wasn't before I went vegan), nuts and some seeds. I used to be allergic to soy too, but luckily I grew over that. So on the bright side, if you actually are allergic to soy it is possible that it will go away in a few months.

Sacco

• 2 weeks later...
Compassionategirl had this strange soy allergy once - it disappeared pretty much as soon as it came. It did all kinds of strange things to her throat too......

Hmm, sorry I didnt see this thread sooner. Yup, I too have found that lately, when I eat some soy products like tofu and soy milk, I feel:

!) Lethargic and irritable always right after and it lasts for a few hours or the rest of the day

2) My throat gets all scratchy and weird.

I think I too developed a soy allergy, which sucks cuz I love Silk Choc Soy Milk.

same for me...i've quit soy for the most part. Once in a while i'll have some tempeh or a vegan hot dog from the cart downtown. It's supposed to be ok if its fermented. But i've switched to rice milk and just use nutritional yeast as a cheese sub and don't eat any burgers anymore except for the grain based amys one and sunshine burgers.

• 1 month later...

Apparently it was interfereing with my thyroid, so my "symptoms" flared up directly after consuming it. They made me really lethargic. So I may not be allergic, it just interferes with my thyroid.

I am on day 3 of no soy and feel much better! My protein was hemp today and I felt soooo good afterward. Hey, I may be on to something.

• 4 weeks later...

i've had this soy allergy problem, but it's apparently different from what you all got.

basically, i have a reaction anytime I eat anything with soy (protein, oil, lecithin, etc) even in very small amounts (i.e., just an ingredient low on the list)

my reaction: my skin breaks out. it sucks. i get face and back acne if soy is in my diet in any way. if i keep soy out, i have completely clear skin. i asked a friend of my who has two degrees in nutrition and she said it sounds more hormonal. which made me think: phytoestrogens! they are probably f**king with my hormones. that would cause acne. it's like it sends me back to puberty.

so the symptoms some of you described (lethargy, nausea, headaches, bloating) can all be attributed to at least some extent to hormonal changes or imbalances. basically, the more isoflavones you are ingesting, the more the balance of available hormones in your body is tipping to one side, and then you feel like crap.

i think that's why Rob and some of the other bodybuilders on here have more or less switched to other proteins like those in Vega (pea, hemp, nuts, etc).

i know that i use brown rice protein powder, and to a lesser extent hemp and spirulina. i also m ake sure to eat lots of quinoa, amaranth, and buckwheat for my grains, and tons of split peas (green and yellow), lentils (all kinds), chickpeas, and adzukis (including green which you know as mung).

Sounds like an allergy, or at least a sensitivity.

Try changing your soy protein for hemp or a rice/pea blend (after I did this, I realised that the soy had been the culprit in some digestive disturbances I'd been having!).

You might be able to tolerate tempeh. The culturing process it goes through makes it more digestible (just like people who have dairy sensitivities can sometimes tolerate yogurt).

Wow, that sounds very tough!

I've heard of a few guys in my environement who have a soy allergy but I never felt some symptons myself and that would really be a shame: I love all kinds of soy - yoghurts, ice cream, tofu, tofuburger, soydrink and so on.

I really can't imagine a life without soy products!

I've got a friend thats allergic to eggs, dairy, nuts, most seeds, wheat and soy...I feel terrible for her. She can eat peas and some beans(lentils mostly but most other beans bug her) and she also can't eat most raw fruits and veggies...its really weird. She can eat meat without any reactions but she doesn't...so everything she eats is cooked and nearly the same every day other than the occational change from peas to edible beans

Someones gotta make a soyless tofu...I couldn't imagine life without tofu(one of the few things keeping me from going full raw) even when I was an omnivore...I have had a soy free hot dog before(don't remember where my friend got it from) which was kinda weird but still tasted pretty good(just not like a normal soy dog)

I'd definately give it a try...I'll be going to China too but not for atleast 2-3 yrs...hopefully if it exhist it'll make its way over here before then

Personally I can eat as many beans as the earth can grow but besides that you can eat nuts...seeds... and really anything. All vegetation is packed with the different amino acids but some don't have all of them...if you eat a healthy mix of fruits and veggies you'd be fine...this is why you can thrive on a fruitarian diet or raw diet(which normally lacks in a mass of beans but raw foodists tend to eat a fair amount of seeds and nuts)

Hello All,

If one does not eat soy, (a primary form of protein) what other avenues are there to get the necessary amounts of protein. A person can eat only so many beans per day/week.

Patrick

Hemp is an excellent source of protein. I like to make hemp protein smoothies for breakfast and/or for a post-workout snack.

Quinoa is high in protein.

Seitan (wheat meat) is very high in protein as well.

Sprouts have a good protein make up.

But most people in the US overestimate the amount of protein one needs. If you eat a balanced, varied diet, you shouldn't have to worry to much.

I think I had a soy allergy a while ago, but I've been eating little bits of it, trying not to go overboard. I try not to take in too much because there seems to be another stereotype that if you don't eat soy, you can't possibly meet your protein requirements, which I look to break.