Very cool experience yesterday.

west2100

I live in South Georgia. As such, it's not exactly what one might call a vegan-friendly environment. Finding someone who actually knows what veganism is, and even knowing how to accomodate such, is very rare.

So I went to a chinese restaurant for dinner yesterday, thinking it would be a good place where I could most likely order something to meet my needs, even if it was white rice and steamed vegetables.

So I get around to ordering, after discovering the vegetarian section of the menu(quite good, imo), and made my order. The waitress, noticing my choice of entree, asked if I was vegetarian, and upon saying yes, asked if I would prefer a substitution be made for the chicken broth normally used in the dish for something animal free. Needless to say, I was floored. This kind of thing might not be anything special for people in more northern states or more populous states, but here I find it just amazing.

So anyway, it just made me feel good. For once being fully accomodated, with no tension, and no one feeling awkward. Granted I wasn't getting an option of grilled tofu at a steakhouse, but it gives me a little faith in the idea that things are spreading and improving.

i had a similiar experience at a chinese restaurant in san antonio. i was with my family. not seeing anything vegan on the menu, my family kept looking at me to see what i would do. but upon hearing that i didn't eat meat, the waiter said they could accomodate almost any dish to be meat free. it was no problem, no hassle, no weird looks. and my food even came out sooner than anyone elses.

I'm sorry but if they have a "vegetarian section" on the menu then those dishes shouldn't be cooked in CHICKEN broth in the first place. Come on!

You really have to be careful of "vegetarian" sections, especially in Chinese restaurants. I remember one in the window of a shop in England recently that had what looked to be a nice vegetarian selection. Unfortunately, the first item in the list was Mixed Vegetables in Oyster Sauce!!!!!!! WTF! I have also seen the same on many US Chinese menus!

that really sucks.. I've never seen a 'vegetarian' section on a Chinese menu before but I've seen dishes that 'look' vegan tofu/eggplant/broccoli type dishes and I ask about what is in the dish - and then get white rice instead of fried rice. The Chinese restaurant I frequent most is next to the vegetarian restaurant so they've been really accomodating.

so when is Josie joining the boards?

• 2 weeks later...
I live in South Georgia. As such, it's not exactly what one might call a vegan-friendly environment. Finding someone who actually knows what veganism is, and even knowing how to accomodate such, is very rare.

So I went to a chinese restaurant for dinner yesterday, thinking it would be a good place where I could most likely order something to meet my needs, even if it was white rice and steamed vegetables.

So I get around to ordering, after discovering the vegetarian section of the menu(quite good, imo), and made my order. The waitress, noticing my choice of entree, asked if I was vegetarian, and upon saying yes, asked if I would prefer a substitution be made for the chicken broth normally used in the dish for something animal free. Needless to say, I was floored. This kind of thing might not be anything special for people in more northern states or more populous states, but here I find it just amazing.

So anyway, it just made me feel good. For once being fully accomodated, with no tension, and no one feeling awkward. Granted I wasn't getting an option of grilled tofu at a steakhouse, but it gives me a little faith in the idea that things are spreading and improving.

That's cool. I do live in a very vegan-friendlich environment one could say. There are many chinese food shops here and I always buy my tofu, seitan and other cool products there - and they are a lot cheaper than in normal supermarkets. We do have many falafel-restaurants around and I really like it. People know about veganism and Animal Rights but, well, it could be better but it's alrighty

Greetings

Attila