Help a newbie out

I've been working out on and off for a few years but meat free eating is still relatively new to me. I've been a vegetarian since the new year and am trying my hardest to go vegan. I've mentioned in another thread it's the cheese that gets me...that and the hidden stuff in food...it's amazing all the stuff that has dried milk ingredients and eggs in it I've been working on reading lablels better and understanding what some of the more confusing words mean.

Anyway, it's been awhile also since I've been serious about the weights and I'd really like to get back into it. I'm going to try a three day split at first. Chest/Shoulders/tri's, Back/bi's, legs.

I ride my bike all the time and I do quite a bit of running, although that's getting harder in this heat. I'm training to do the MS Bike Tour this summer which is a 2 day 150km bike ride so I'll be riding a lot which will be my main cardio.

I haven't weighed myself in a long time, I got out of the habit when I started lifting weights but if I was to guess I would say I weigh around 185 and I'm 5'10. I'd like to lose a bit more fat.

So I'd appreciate any advice that anybody has to offer. I'll try and post what I eat in here to. Maybe doing this will keep me on track. I've felt so much better since I gave up meat and it's been two months since I've directly eaten any milk products or eggs and cheese has been cut down to a bare minimum. I just need to make that extra step.

Thanks everybody for your time.

So here's my first workout.

I rode my bike 11 km's today.

Workout

Chest

Flat Bench Olympic bar*15, 95*10, 115*8, 135*5

Pushups*8, Crunch's*20

Incline Flyes 10*15, 15*12, 20*10, 25*7

Pushups*8, Crunch's*20

Shoulders

DB Military Press 10*15, 15*10, 20*8

Lat Raises 10*15, 15*10, 20*6

Tri's

Pushdowns (with plates) 20*15, 40*12, 50*6

Dips BW*10, BW*8

Crunch's*20

Post-workout

Large salad with sesame seeds and sunflower seeds (not sure how many, just a couple handfuls of each) and a large glass of vanilla soy milk (that stuff is really good)

That was a good workout. My first one in probably a month and a half. Get lazy so quickly. This bike tour will help me get my focus back.

I am doing the same split.

My routine for June (which actually began this week):

Sunday: REST DAY!!! - No scheduled workout, but go kayaking if I can get out!

Mondays: Back & Biceps

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown 12-10-8-6

One-Arm Dumbell Rows 12-10-8-6

Cable Curls 12-10-8-6

Hammer Curls 12-10-8-6

Tuesday: Cardio & Abs

40-50 Treadmill interval Training

Decline Crunches 25 x 2

Reverse Crunches 25 x 2

Wednesday: Legs

Barbell Squats 12-10-8-6

Leg Extentions 12-10-8-6

Dumbell Lunges 12-10-8-6

Lying Leg Curls 12-10-8-6

Seated Calf Raisies 12-10-8-6

Standing Calf Raises 12-10-8-6

Thursday: Cardio & Abs

40-50 Treadmill interval Training

Decline Oblique 25 x 2

Hanging Knee Raises 25 x 2

Friday: REST DAY!!!

Saturday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

Barbell Bench Press 12-10-8-6

Dumbell Flyes 12-10-8-6

Seated Dumbell Press 12-10-8-6

Lateral Raises 12-10-8-6

Tricep Pushdowns 12-10-8-6

Tricep Kickbacks 12-10-8-6

Just remember cheese has cholesterol, and more fat than protein. Think of that every time you eat it, it's not helping you. And reading labels takes time, I think many of us still are hit with hidden ingredients every now and then. And yes I know...except for you raw folks (keep it up).

Thanks for the replies. It's nice to see somebody doing the same split. I'll have to check out your journal as well. I like winding down I guess I can call it with reps as opposed to going up as well.

College - That's what really has been frustrating me. I've been so proud of lowering my cholesteral and then maybe once or twice a week I just cave and have a bit of cheese. I went a couple weeks with nothing and then right back at it. It's hard when it's right in your face. I can imagine everybody has problems with hidden ingredients, especially all the names that don't make sense the moment you see them. You really have to hunt to find out what some of thse things are. It's a challenge but I think I'm up for it. I know I feel better.

One thing I'm noticing right now is that it's about two and a half hours since my workout and I feel great. I used to finish my workouts with a whey protein shake and follow that an hour later a couple of chicken breasts or beef. I would always feel bloated but convinced that I got enough protein. That salad with the seeds, a tablespoon of peanut butter and soy milk and I'm full. Strange.

I told people for the longest time I would never give up eating cheese, and then one day i decided I did. I realized it was holding me back in my training. I dont miss it at all. Not having pizza for a few weeks was difficult, but I got through that and have found vegan pizzas with tofu on them supply nutrients I want. cheese just cannot deliver.

Go, vegdad! You can do it! Dump the cheese!

You'll feel so much better when you do. Push through the tough time -- and it can be tough -- and then you'll be fine, like College B wrote. And besides did you know you're consuming a lot of ing stuff? Read Got Pus? maybe it will help you get a visual whenever a block of cheese is right in front of you

I know a lot of people, once they learn what they are really eating, give up dairy, even if they don't go vegan!

The rest of that site is worth perusing as well; LOTS of info to store and arm yourself for those moments of weakness

Thanks for the responses and encouragement. I have been completely animal free for the last few days. I did jack in terms of working out since my last workout aside from a few bike rides but I've been completely vegan. It's going to be hard. I have so much respect for all of you here who are. I'm taking it one day at at time right now.

Well that's just awesome! Please post if you come across a problem and we'll try to help. If you need recipes or have questions...

One thing: if you find you become "weak" or fatigued when switching to vegan, just remember that your body will need a bit of time to adjust to the new nutrition intake. It will be expecting the old stuff It will adjust, though, so don't worry. And one day at a time is fine. It's good to take it slowly since you're actually more mindful of what you're doing.

Good going!

Thanks Raven. Today was my first day with nothing but veggies, lots of fruit, two big salads with baked beans. I started feeling a little lightheaded and maybe even feverish around 6:30 pm but I had also spent a lot of time outside today and it's very humid today. So I had a little bit of leftover cold pasta that has only extra virgin olive oil, onions and garlic on it. I'm feeling a bit better now. I'm sure it will take awhile.

I was going to do back and biceps tonight but I'm going to wait first to see if I feel a bit better. I may hold it off until tomorrow.