Favorite Books?

robert

Anyone have any favorite books? Not just about nutrition, veganism or bodybuilding, but just a good read?

Feel free to list the vegan, nutrition, and bodybuilding books too, but anything you would like to recomend others read would be great to list.

I enjoy reading and writing children's books. Not that children's books are the only ones I can understand .........I just love working with kids and have done that for about 10 years and reading stories to little ones is so much fun. I also write my own children's stories and love the ability to create my own adventures.

As for other books, I like Fit For Life, Thrive, Diet For a New America, Food Revolution, How To Win Friends And Influence People, and other motivating books.

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Me Talk Pretty One Day, and Naked by David Sedaris

I'm the One that I Want -Margaret Cho's autobio

Cry The Beloved Country - Alan Paton

Diet for a New America- John Robbins

I'm sure there are others I cant think of right now.

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee, a classic. The movie is very damn good, too.

Almost anything by John Steinbeck, but especially East of Eden

A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card, the best book by the best writer alive, in my opinion

Shot in the Heart - Mikal Gilmore, the youngest brother of one of America's most famous recipients of the death penalty wrote of the entire family's destruction.

I'll probably think of a few others. I read a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes,

I have read Atlas Shrugged several times. Also, More Die of Heartbreak by Saul Bellow is a good read. And Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn are top notch.

A very good autobiography is Education of a Wandering Man by Louis L' Amour.

And on a more contemporary note, The Historian is a new classic tale of Dracula.

Jon

Hey Over40 what do you think Ayn Rand would say about veganism?

You know, I don't know. But my guess is, I don't think in her day and age she would have given it a second thought, as most people of that time.

In Atlas Shrugged she mentions, quite negatively, about a government decision to ship soy from Texas, tying up the rail lines to ship other "more important things".

I can look through some of her other writings and see if she mentions vegetarianism, etc.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Over40 what do you think Ayn Rand would say about veganism?

She didn't really address the issue, but here is a good link that ties Libertarianism, animal rights, and Rand together.

http://www.strike-the-root.com/4/graham/graham1.html

At the beginning of this essay I said I was surprised by the number of libertarians who ridicule animal rights while ignoring or evading the Argument from Marginal Cases. Not all libertarians fall into this category. At the FEE (Foundation for Economic Education) convention in 2002, I attended a talk by the great libertarian psychologist Nathaniel Branden. During the question and answer session, a young man told Branden that he maintained an Objectivist Web site. He had posted an essay ridiculing animal rights on the site. A woman had e-mailed him recently and challenged him with the Argument from Marginal Cases. He confessed that he could not think of a good retort.

Dr. Branden cut him off: “I’m afraid I won’t be able to help you on this.” Dr. Branden explained that he himself had “struggled” with the question of the moral status animals. He said even Ayn Rand (a confirmed cat lover, by the way) had felt there must be something morally wrong with mistreating animals, but, unable to make it fit her Objectivist philosophy, she shelved the issue. As for him, he could not deny the pure Aristotelian logic of the Argument from Marginal Cases. He was stuck.

I mostly read fantasy stuff. But now and then i also read real books.

The best i've read so far, those i can recommed anytime to anyone:

"Diet for a new America" (of course ) and "Food Revolution" - you know by whom.

"Conversations with God" by Neale D. Walsh.

Paolo Coelho: "Veronica decides to die" and "The handbook of the Warrior of Light" (i translated the titles, i'm not sure if they're correct)

In the fantasy department:

"Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan, "The Lord of the Rings" by the grandmaster himself, and many others.

Lots more that don't come to my mind now

And Chesty - you're a nerd. Sorry.

Hey Sirdle thanks for that link. I read a few libertarian sites and most of the time if there is an article about food its meat eating. There has never been any link between libertarianism and animal rights from what i've read. I'm hoping some more people will make a connection though.