Day 11 of (mostly) Raw Food Diet - and I feel awesome!

Ravi

I've been on a (mostly) raw food diet and I feel outstanding. I say "mostly" because I'd estimate that 50-70% of my diet is now based on raw and water-rich foods. I am NOT vegan, though I am very close. I try to avoid any dairy or egg, but in social situations will occasionaly cave in. I AM strictly vegetarian.

My routine is:

1. Breakfast: a banana and mango or some nuts and carrots or whatever veggie I have sitting around

2. Lunch: a monser salad with wild greens, lots of veggies, some seeds and olive oil.

3. Snacks: some fresh juice (carrot, superfood) or some carrots, broccoli or almonds.

4. Dinner: whatever I want (raw or not!)...this is my chance to enjoy time out with my friends

The benefits I am seeing right now after 11 days:

* The interesting thing about this diet, is that I am not at all hungry in the afternoons. I would normally be starving by 3-4pm, even after eating a big plate of food and some other snacks. Not any more.

* I have a much more even energy level. I love coffee and am not avoiding it on purpose, but have only had a few sips in the past 12 days. ….I just haven’t felt like I’ve needed it.

* I’m able to wake up in the morning much easier, almost as easy as when I was back in grade school! I’ve actually found myself waking up at 6am and making myself go back to sleep since it was too early.

* I’ve noticed my skin clearing up quite a bit, though I do still have some pimples on my face that just won't go away. I posted another topic about this in the Nutrition thread/forum to discuss this.

* I’ve lost 5-6 pounds (and I was pretty thin to begin with) with no noticeable loss in strength

* I have a remarkable improvement in mental clarity

I’ll keep posting as things progress. I am also documenting this on my blog (link in signature).

I've also been going more raw this summer, inspired in part by some of our raw food members, as well as from my summer reading (no Danielle Steele novels for me! I read up on heath and nutrition!).

I started the summer gradually transitioning by eating more raw (like changing some 'snacks" to larabars and other raw food bars), and making sure to have a raw food at the beginning of each meal (often apples, because they are easier to find organic locally) . Then I went to going 'all raw until mid-afternoon,'' then pretty much to 'raw ntil dinner (which is also sometimes raw). I would estimate that I've been 80%+ raw the last 3 weeks.

congradulations!

Becoming raw is about the best thing I ever did for myself..

I have always been at the very minimum 50% raw.. I've just always

preferred raw produce to almost anything else.

For the past few years I've been nearly 100% raw (consuming pasturized

juices, and hummus on occasion, but my typical everyday is 95-100%)

I've tasted some cooked/hot food a couple of times since.. &

WOW, is it amazing to taste the difference, all I taste is salt generally...

It's absolutely amazing how sensitive your taste buds become.

especially the part about having a more solid sleep schedule. i find that when i'm "off" the raw diet, i am constantly waking up (often times, hungry). i toss and turn. i wake up hungry. i wake up tired.

when i'm on the raw foods diet (90%), i get a solid night's sleep. i don't wake up during the night, and i wake up refreshed and ready for the day. i don't even wake up hungry.

On DAY 16 of this 70% raw food diet (basically, everything except dinner)

I still feel very high energy levels. For example, this morning I got up at 5:20am and felt wide awake. I worked out from 6:30-8am and then had a very long day at work. I left at 9pm and was very busy with several presentations and lots of tying up loose ends before I start my vacation (I am off work for 1 week starting tomorrow!). I felt very alert during the whole day. My eyes also didn’t get tired at all, which normally happens when I am very busy. Also, I haven’t had a sip of coffee in a while. Frankly, I don’t feel like I need it.

Also, I didn’t feel hungry at all during the day. I had a wheatgrass shot and carrot juice at Jamba Juice in the AM, some almonds and pumpkin seeds during the day, and a big green salad at lunch (no dressing on it, just some olive oil). This was enough to keep my energy levels quite high AND even.

I am also noticing a signficiant drop in bodyfat an increase in strength (visually, I see a major change in vascularity and definition, through my scale only says I have lost about 5 pounts in the past 16 days). In my work out this morning (another Static Contraction as I wrote about in another post) most of my lifts were stronger by 5-10% over my last similar workout way back on May 30th. I have also been making major progress in my Yoga practice and other bodyweight exercises I do.

I am still planning to keep this up for 30 days. Hope to keep seeing the progress.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update on how my raw food experiment has been going. I made it 17 days on an 80% raw food diet. After this, I went on a weeklong trip back home and it was just too hard to say no to my mom's cooking.

For that one week I was home my diet was probably 10% raw (ate TONS of veggies but they were cooked/stir fried). I then returned home and bumped it up to about 30% raw for a week (basically 1 totally raw meal per day).

Then, on July 12th, I bumped it back up to 80% and have kept it up.

What is interesting, is I am noticing some side-effects after increasing my raw food intake the second time around.

* I am not feeling as energetic as I was before, I feel a little bit tired, sort of like I sat in a sauna too long

* I am not waking up in the morning as alert and awake as I was during my first few weeks of going mostly raw

* My mental clarity is really good, almost meditative....hopefully not "sedatative" ....I can focus on things for much longer periods of time when I am moving around my daily life

* In contract to above statement, I find that when I actually try to meditate, it is HARDER! This is very odd. I find myself quite ancy and wanting to move around. During my first 17 days being raw I didn't have this problem, in fact, I found the excact opposite to be true...I could medidate for longer periods of time

* My flexibility is ridiculous! I am doing a lot of yoga right now...but I am getting gains that are starting to scare me this is a good thing!

* I am getting more vascularity in my arms and hands

* My bodyweight isn't changing but, my bodyfat percentage is dropping (dropped from 15% on July 1st to 10% on July 15th with no change in bodyweight)

* I feel much lighter

* When I lift, I can push up the same amount of weight, but I find myself tiring fast. For example, my one-set max for pull ups has increased from 7 to 12 over the past three weeks but after the first set I am now totally hosed for the second set. I used to do 7-7-5 reps, now I do 12-5-4 if I am lucky.

* my skin is clearer than normal, but not completely clear.

My uber question is, do other people who go on a RAW FOOD diet feel this decrease in energy/lethargy after a few weeks? How long does it last?

I read the article on RAW FOOD that Bigbwii posted that talked about this...but would LOVE to hear from others that have had a similar experience.

btw...hope ya'll are training hard for the summer shape-up challenge...I am gonna win that thing

Ravi

Yeah it's great to begin with and then the detox kicks in...then your body will concentrate all it's efforts on cleansing...that's why your lacking in energy....

but that's all a part of the big clean up process....it's kinda like trying to come off cigarettes/alcohol....

be prepare to feel worse before you get better....do a bunch of research into raw detox....you'll need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ya doing great.....