Another Oregon boy saying hello!

oregonisaac

My name is Isaac. I grew up in Corvallis, Oregon and ran in the same circles as Robert (the story is that I got my friend Jordan into weight lifting and he got Robert into weight lifting, so I figure he really owes it all to me, Jordan, and his sister, who got him into Veganism). I live just south of Portland now and as of this year have changed my eating habits from no red meat to no meat and almost no dairy (I still am eating yogurt, so I am not really a vegan!)

I was talking to Robert about vegan/vegitarian food, protein consumption, daily variety, etc... and he suggested I check out this site.

So far I have seen a bunch of great recipe ideas and some good talk about diet. I look forward to searching through the forums in more detail.[/i]

Welcome to the boards.

Yeah, I know how you felt, dairy of all groups of animal based foods was the worst for me to give up, but it wasn't even all that hard anyway (except when I was at a graduation party and saw chocolate chip cookies with the biggest chocolate chips I'd ever seen, but that's another story, I still avoided. ). There's plenty of good recipies, but some of the more simple ones are the best (ie: Fruit smoothies).

Welcome to the boards.

Yeah, I know how you felt, dairy of all groups of animal based foods was the worst for me to give up, but it wasn't even all that hard anyway (except when I was at a graduation party and saw chocolate chip cookies with the biggest chocolate chips I'd ever seen, but that's another story, I still avoided. ). There's plenty of good recipies, but some of the more simple ones are the best (ie: Fruit smoothies).

Welcome isaac!

Odidnetne, perhaps this will satiate that desire (but its not raw though):

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/RIPMacDre/4_29_06009.jpg

Courteousy of jjaj, and recipe under vegan recipes (scroll down a bit).

isaac, the best yogurt is by Silk. It hands down beats the other vegan yogurts IMO, and I think this will help you kick that last bit of dairy. Try some.

My personal favorite soygurt is from Nancy's. They are from Eugene and can be found at most any natural foods store or co-op. Fred Meyer's may carry it too but I'm not sure...

isaac, the best yogurt is by Silk. It hands down beats the other vegan yogurts IMO, and I think this will help you kick that last bit of dairy. Try some.

My personal favorite soygurt is from Nancy's. They are from Eugene and can be found at most any natural foods store or co-op. Fred Meyer's may carry it too but I'm not sure...

LL, do you think that nancy's is better than Silk? I am not sure that we even have that brand in toronto, so i dont think I could test your theory.

havent seen nancys in any store around here .... soy milk has so many ingredients that technically i doubt its even healthy for us but i need my cereal so i'll keep drinking the stuff

btw those c00kies l00k to die for...... *dr00ls*

Welcome to the boards.

Welcome isaac!

Odidnetne, perhaps this will satiate that desire (but its not raw though):

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/RIPMacDre/4_29_06009.jpg

Courteousy of jjaj, and recipe under vegan recipes (scroll down a bit).

Thanks, but I really don't have the desire for chocolate anymore, it was just that day, I could smell the chocolate, that's what was killing me.

Welcome Isaac!

Yes, in a round-about way, I do owe a lot of my success to you! Glad to have you here. Jordan and my sister (two other major influences on my lifestyle) are both on this forum, but rarely write anything.

Awesome to have you here and since you're in the Portland area, you can join us for our vegan vacation. It's not limited to just vegans, we're there to help positively influence non-vegans and show all the awesome healthy vegan foods out there. So please join us!

Thanks again for joining our forum here and it was great to see you a few weeks back.

Can't jack these dees.....thee ya!

-Cheeke

It's a Jordan thing (you recall Jordan from the movie, right?) I refer to him multiple times as the key behind my interest in bodybuilding and an ingredient to my overall success. He's also in my music montage when I introduce him. He was also at the vegan potluck and is listed in the credits as "Classic Man"

Blast if I have to....don't make me have to

....sorry, another Jordan thing. Jordan, Isaac, and I go way back.

Do you have Wildwood naturals at all in Canada??

Not sure if it is there, but I would say it is the best out of any soy yogurt

brand available.

Plus they are devoted to organic foods(especially tofu), aren't corporately owned (fyi. SILK is owned by Whitewave, which is owned by Dean foods, the largest dairy producer in North America) , and they are a CO-OP.

Anyhow, when I did eat soy yogurt..Wildwood is by far the best one.

look for it, or ask natural food stores if they could possibly start getting it!

http://www.pmo.com/

• 2 weeks later...

All-

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the great advice about soy yogurt, I did not know it even existed!

I think I will try the Nancy's first since I am already a huge fan of their regular organic yogurt...

Robert-

You owe about as much of your success to me as Ben Franklin owes the guy who invented the kite or the key (none).

Isaac

Great to have you on board, thanks for swinging by today.

For soy yogurt, you can try WholeSoy, and Silk too. Perhaps they were mentioned, and I missed it as I skimmed.

You can shop at New Seasons, Daily Grind, Whole Foods, Market of Choice etc. for all of those things and thousands of other vegan food products.

You can also find Vega at Food Fight, Daily Grind, and soon at Proper Eats I think, and New Seasons and Whole foods shouldn't be too far off either.

Later man,

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the WholeSoy yogurt, not quite the same I have to say but not bad, think I will get used to it...that's how it was with soy and rice milk, and now I like them better.

Also got my local Thriftway to start carrying the Nancy's Soy, they are supposed to get it next week.

That is pretty awesome that you got them to carry it! Nice seeing you at the health food store the other day, that was kind of a surprise. The Daily Grind is now carrying Vega too.

We're doing a meet-up in PDX on Sunday at DarthVegan's house if you're interested. To watch PRIDE or something. Not sure what it is, but I think it is fighting. You should come. If Dave isn't busy, he'll be there too.