Howdy from Portland, OR

xdarthveganx

Well lets see.........

My name is Randall

I have been vegan for about 10 years now.

I just recently moved to Portland about 6 months ago from

Orange County, CA with my girlfriend Michele who is also been

vegan for 1 year. As far as my training goes, I have done some different

things on and off. I started out young just lifting, and then a while after that progressed into Jiu Jitsu for a couple of years. Then for financial reasons I had to stop. I would say this point was when I was in the best shape of my life. I was playing tennis in High School and doing jiu jitsu 3-4 times a week. I weighed about 215. This is where my weight loss goal is focused right now. I would like to get back to that weight, and physical ability. i.e. I have always struggled with my flexibility, but for that short period of time I was doing pretty well. I am still pretty young, almost 23 and I just started doing jiu jitsu again and would like to lose weight to help benefit my game. Let me start out by saying my cardio is HORRIBLE. I can barely run 3 blocks without gassing.

Right now I am at 275 and would eventually like to get down to 215 maybe even 205 if possible. I would like to be down to 225 by the end of the year.

Anyways enough about that,

Here is some personal info.

I am an environmental science major in my second year at Portland Community College

In my free time, I like to troll the internet, train jiu jitsu

read (chomsky, howard zinn, peter singer, etc etc...) listen to music and watch movies, and MMA Fights.

Here is a pic...

http://myspace-409.vo.llnwd.net/00338/90/42/338552409_l.jpg

and my myspace for more

http://www.myspace.com/xveganjihadx

thanx alot.

I hope to contribute alot to the forum

My backround....

Ex Assistant Manager of the Vitamin Department of my local Organic Health food store

Edited by xdarthveganx

Welcome Try going mostly raw...you'll need alot less calories and have alot more energy...thats how I'm getting my last few off.

Welcome Randall!

Great to have you here. You'll find all kinds of great information, motivation, and cool people to be in touch with.

Awesome to seen another person in Portland. We should get together sometime.

I hang out with loveliberate, davidtarrfoster, and andesuma on a regular basis up in Portland, as well as with many other vegans who will hopefully soon be on the forum

Anyway, all the best with training and everything else and welcome aboard!

Welcome Randall!

Great to have you here. You'll find all kinds of great information, motivation, and cool people to be in touch with.

Awesome to seen another person in Portland. We should get together sometime.

I hang out with loveliberate, davidtarrfoster, and andesuma on a regular basis up in Portland, as well as with many other vegans who will hopefully soon be on the forum

Anyway, all the best with training and everything else and welcome aboard!

would love to. My girlfriend and I dont know anyone up here. Well I always order the UFC and Pride PPV so if a some people wanna come watch and have a party/ vegan potluck at my house thats cool with me.

AWESOME!!!!

Yeah, we do tons of meet-ups all the time up here. We have dinner, go to restaurants/hiking, and just hang out.

Check out the Vegan Vacation Threads at the bottom to see all the people from this area.

There are a bunch of us.

We'll be in touch.

Robert

would love to. My girlfriend and I dont know anyone up here. Well I always order the UFC and Pride PPV so if a some people wanna come watch and have a party/ vegan potluck at my house thats cool with me.

I'm up for it and have a vegan friend who's very into Muay Thai, UFC, etc who'd love to join us as well. When's the next show you'll be ordering?

I'm up for it and have a vegan friend who's very into Muay Thai, UFC, etc who'd love to join us as well. When's the next show you'll be ordering?

depending on my work schedule july 8th UFC 61

So what is everyones favorite restraunt in portland?

We have only had time to go to a few.....

Here is where Ive been so far

Veganopolis (really overrated I think)

Van Hahn (good and cheap)

Vege Thai ( this place is good)

Blossoming Lotus (My fav of all)

Nicholas (the Falafel is DAMN good)

Laughing Planet ( only went once but my burrito was great)

Bay Leaf (this place is ok, pricey for what it is)

I think thats it there may be more ive been too but cant remember

Fav Places to Shop:

Food Fight (Doy!)

Daily Grind ( Awesome Vegan Baked Goods)

Local Farmers Markets

Everything else I buy at whole foods new seasons or trader joes

I try to avoid those places but they are easier on the wallet

Heya,

My favorite place to out to eat is at the food carts downtown. They are cheap, ya get lots of food for the money & there can be a dozen places on a block. For restaurants, my (new) favorite is La Villa (Brazilian & Lebanese) on SE Morrisson. Could be a little cheaper and/or givr more food for the price but very tasty food, nice folks and a casual place. The review on the door said that it's as good as Nicholas but cheaper and less crowded - that seems accurate.

I also really like Dahlo's Kitchen on Vancouver and Horn Of Afrika on MLK. Van Hahn is good food and good people. Bay Leaf was tasty but kinda skimpy on the portions for the price. Proper Eats in St. Johns is a cool place to eat and it has a small market. I really was not into Vege Thai... I have not tried Veganopolis, Blossoming Lotus, Nicholas or Laughing Planet.

Favorite places Places to Shop?

- People's All Veg. Food Coop is my #1 favorite! I was just hanging out at their street party & farmers market with my family and some friends, including David & Robert from here. Watching Robert square dance was a lot of fun! Besides the great food, the Coop is an awesome place for classes & community stuff (usually free) and just hanging out and meeting folks. They have a year round farmers market every Wednesday.

- Food Fight! is a close second and The Daily Grind is close behind.

I also shop a fair amount at the big natural food places, mostly for sales...

Some of those places sound awesome we will have to go sometime.

I forgot to mention ive been to vita cafe and paradox as well. SOme stuff was good other stuff not so much. Nicholas has some of the best falafel ive ever had and im pretty critical of my falafel.

I still can't believe you guys have all these places!!! I was excited to go to school here in Richmond to find 3 veg spots(one vegan), and a good vegan section in the cafateria....I'm expecting to go to Portland and realize it was all a hoax to get people from outside of Oregon to go to the Vegan Vacation. Its just too awesome to imagine...I don't know how all of you Portlanders aren't 500lbs.

I still can't believe you guys have all these places!!! I was excited to go to school here in Richmond to find 3 veg spots(one vegan), and a good vegan section in the cafateria....I'm expecting to go to Portland and realize it was all a hoax to get people from outside of Oregon to go to the Vegan Vacation. Its just too awesome to imagine...I don't know how all of you Portlanders aren't 500lbs.

I actually think the all vegan restraunts in LA and OC are better. However there are waaaay more places with vegan options here. Which is absolutely awesome. I love portland! wahooo! Aside from not knowing anybody up here. However seem to be changing that rather quickly

I actually think the all vegan restraunts in LA and OC are better. However there are waaaay more places with vegan options here. Which is absolutely awesome. I love portland! wahooo! Aside from not knowing anybody up here. However seem to be changing that rather quickly

Potter,

I have not tried the SoCal places Darth mentions but have to admit that I have not been real impressed by the all veg restaurants here... That said, it is hard to find a place here that doesnt know what vegan food is and/or does not have some vegan options on the menu and THAT is extremely cool!

Darth,

I saw that friend of mine who is into UFC today at the People's street party and he'd love to come to yr place for a potluck & PPV. He's alos looking to get vegan & other cool MA folks together to do some informal skill sharing & traing. You may have a crew here pretty quick!

Potter,

I have not tried the SoCal places Darth mentions but have to admit that I have not been real impressed by the all veg restaurants here... That said, it is hard to find a place here that doesnt know what vegan food is and/or does not have some vegan options on the menu and THAT is extremely cool!

Darth,

I saw that friend of mine who is into UFC today at the People's street party and he'd love to come to yr place for a potluck & PPV. He's alos looking to get vegan & other cool MA folks together to do some informal skill sharing & traing. You may have a crew here pretty quick!

Sweet, I am down for whatever.

I have never trained muay thai, I plan on it eventually but I have a pinky injury that I have been wating to heal. I also wanted to get my flexibility and cardio up to a somewhat decent level. My jiu jitsu game is sub par as of right now, but I have alot of past experience that I just have to physically catch up to. I am always down for training with who ever where ever.

As far as PPV goes We might even be able to get together for ultimate fight nite which is free in a week or so. I gotta check my work schedule on friday and get back to you guys. Also My girl and I are always down for going out for some good grub so anytime you want to go grab a bite to eat with some company feel free to ask!