I just lost 2 years of a part of my life

robert

Hello everyone,

My website guy and I were working on some e-mail problems we had with our accounts and today I came home to check my e-mail, like I do everyday, and found it to be empty. No more messages existed

In my business/website e-mail [email protected] I had about 1000 important messages saved, from magazines, bodybuilders, sponsorship companies, celebrity athletes, friends, general business stuff, and all the individual messages that many of you send me.......today all of those were gone, and 2 years worth of really great e-mails and important addresses and phone numbers are washed away.

I don't know enough about computers to know how to "back it up" to my computer, but in the future I'll learn.

At first I was very upset, and then even angry. That information was very important to me and I enjoyed all the great e-mails and appreciated the importance and significance of many of them. I'm still a bit sick to my stomach to know that they are missing. Most people wouldn't be too bothered because they would just be random messages from friends, family or work.

My account was full of all the events that shaped my life and shaped Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness. It was really my only record of the past 2 years of hard work and each step of the way was documented in e-mail form.

My mistake was not saving my e-mails to my computer. My brother in law says he's sorry because he knows it makes me sad to loose stuff that is important to me, but he says its my fault for not backing it up. I just wish I were smarter when it comes to computers I could have prevented future problems like this.

I'm not one to complain or even to express emotion other than joy, happiness, appreciation and gratitude (as many of you have come to realize) but now I'm just upset and I needed a place to vent. I'm very quiet and reserved these days, so I don't ever raise my voice or yell, I just think about how it could have been easily prevented. I'm upset with the individual who may have deleted my messages (e-mail was working fine at 2PM, and I came home and it was gone and I've searched 20 times to try to find the messages, but Inbox contains 0). I've also searched for the person who has access to my website and my e-mail, etc. to see if he alterted it or accidentially deleted things, but I haven't seen him since last night. I'm also upset at myself, knowing that right now there are important e-mails coming to me and I can't check them......not only is my e-mail empty, I can't access it and it can't recieve messages.

Luckily I have 8 other e-mail accounts so for those who normally write to me or send me photos or whatever......please use:

[email protected]

Perhaps I'll be able to find my life story in text covering the past two years....if not...that's life and I learned a lesson. So IF ANYONE HAS IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN AN E-MAIL ACCOUNT, PLEASE SAVE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE SUCH AS ON YOUR COMPUTER HARD DRIVE. DON'T LET IT GET LOST, IT IS NOT VERY MUCH FUN AT ALL!

Well, anyway, that is how my day went today. Other than that, it was a fun day at work and my brand new roommate moved in today. I'll introduce her soon. And she'll introduce herself to the message board soon as well.

Have a great day and remember to protect what is important to you, and be careful who you trust.

-Robert

Thanks guys,

I'm working on trying to get the messages back. Still nothing there this morning.

Have you tried contacting the email / domain provider? Maybe they could retrieve the emails in some way? If not, I'm out of ideas

Yeah, I tried that. So I'm still waiting to hear back. Of course I requested they contact me at an alternative e-mail address but no word yet.

sorry to hear that rob. something similar happened to me with hotmail. i didnt sign in for 30days as i didnt have a computer at that time so i lost all my emails. including about 30 that were a kind of diary for me when i was in nepal.

Yeah, a bunch of mine were like that, as well as information about appearances I'm supposed to make later on this year with all the names, numbers and info like that I needed for the events and things. But I guess I can just do a little extra work to try to get back in touch with people, and maybe I'll get them all retrieved after all.

Now I know to keep a back up of everything, a good lesson to learn.

Well, I gotta eat my oats and get off to work soon.

I'll catch you all when I get home after the work and gym tonight.

-Robert

OH WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

I WAS ABLE TO FIND THEM THIS MORNING!!! THEY WERE COMPLETELY REMOVED FROM MY INBOX AND UNABLE FOR ME TO ACCESS SO I HAD TO GO TO MY E-MAIL HOME PAGE AND GO THROUGH STEPS I'VE NEVER GONE THROUGH BEFORE AND IT LOOKS LIKE I FOUND THEM. I ASSUME I CAN STILL RECEIVE NEW E-MAILS AND SEND ONES TOO, I'LL HAVE TO EXPERIMENT LATER, I'M JUST OUT THE DOOR NEARLY LATE FOR WORK........WHOOOOO HOOOOOOOO. I GUESS MY WEBSITE GUY MUST HAVE MOVED THEM WITHOUT TELLING ME OR SOMETHING, SINCE HE WAS WORKING ON IT YESTERDAY.

IT GAVE ME QUITE A SCARE, BUT WHAT A GREAT FEELING TO SEE THEM AGAIN, 1039 ALL VERY IMPORTANT ONES ARE BACK IT LOOKS LIKE.......NOW HAVE TO BACK THEM UP ASAP!

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT AS I TRIED TO DEAL WITH LOSING 2 YEARS OF MY LIFE.......I FOUND OUT THIS HAS HAPPENED TO OTHERS TOO, WHICH IS SAD.

NOW I CAN SMILE AGAIN, YESTERDAY WAS HARD TO DO THAT.

I'm pleased for you mate.

It must of been sad to think that record of how you've built up this site up and made many contacts within the vegan and animal rights movement and vegan fitness and training community had gone forever.

I was going to propose calling a data recovery expert as they may have been able to retrieve the emails. I'm no IT whizz but I know the experts can do a lot to recover data when it appears all is lost.

From your original post here Rob I get the impression that you maybe think the emails were removed/wiped deliberately/maliciously??

Matt.

I’m back again. I’m happy to know that 2 years of my life’s worth of data and contacts were not deleted. The information was too important to lose.

I finally found the source of the problem and it had nothing to do with the fact that my website guy was working on the e-mail set-up the night before. Things were moved by our server company. So when I looked for all my information, it was nowhere to be found.

It was really the first time I’ve been upset about something in a very long time, because it was so important to me. The fact that Khan was working on the e-mail storage situation the night before led me to thinking things were accidentally deleted since we needed to clear some space. I was wrong, and out of anger I inaccurately assumed something went wrong as he worked to fix it. I learned that I should have had “worry” but not “anger,” especially not anger shown to any person, but just worry about the situation.

In reality, storage space was increased and moved to an upgraded server. I feel bad about suggesting things may have been the fault of someone else other than myself, I was just really worried, upset, and angry when I had realized what I had lost…..but now found again.

So I have to say sorry to Khan (my website guy) for sounding angry or confused. I just didn’t know where things went, and it made me stress out. And sorry to everyone who had to see my angry side, it only comes out about once every 3 years, so we should be good until 2008.

So it was my fault, and I shouldn’t have been upset, and I am sorry.

-Robert

Hey Kourtney,

I wasn't really that bad of a mood, just really frustrated, but Megan couldn't even tell. She started moving her stuff in last night. I told her about my e-mail loss and that I was sad about it but she said I hid it well. I'm fine now, and I'm sure you'l never see me a bad mood, it rarely happens. And most of the time it stays internal so nobody can tell, or I write it. I guess that's how I express myself rather than verbally, not sure if it's a good thing or not, but you won't ever really see me upset. I didn't think anything was removed on purpose, just by accident, but I was worried/angry for a short time (though nobody could tell…except for when I wrote about it.)

Stop by anytime, I'm going to the gym with Shawn tonight and then helping Megan move some things. Wanna help?

When I heard about your email-flavoured problem, I went straight to Zybor Shin-Ken Oma, the Ninja Guardian of the internet, and I asked him what had happened to your stored messages. He told me that he would not help me unless I brought him one of those collectable Star Wars light sabre things, which cost like $150, and make the noises when you swing them and when you hit stuff. I told him I don't have $150, but he said that's not his problem in the first place. So I went to a Sci-Fi store, and used my invisibility cloak to get past the guy who works there, and I borrowed one of the light sabres. I took it to Zybor Shin-Ken Oma, and he said he wanted a blue one not a red one, so I had to take it back. The store was closed, so I took him the red one anyway, and told him that he should really accept it, as he can trade it in himself at a later date. He considered this to be a fair enough sitch (situation). I told him about your problem, and he summoned his army of Orange Ninjas, along with one Pink Ninja, and they teleported into the internet, making some of it explode when they did it, which was awesome. They then reappeared, and told me that there wasn't a real problem and that it would be rectified in time without interferance from the Ninjas. I asked if they were sure and they said 'As sure as a Ninja can be about rice'. I told them that this isn't about rice, and Zybor Shin-Ken Oma said 'Rice is ultimately linked to all things'. I didn't question him because he had a light sabre. Then I went home and ate some rice.

Richard - do you use a B12 supplement? I heard that B12 deficiencs can cause neurological damage

That might be the reason that you mixed up Ra's Al Ghul with my Oma (= Granny in German), who is the REAL guardian of the www!

But considering your honorable and brave efforts, i think i can forgive you on being deceived by an impostor.

You really did well, young padavan.

Next time, take the light saber and hit the old guy.

You guys are hilarious

Khan and I discussed some website and e-mail stuff today and got things straightened out. We have a few more things we have to do tomorrow to make sure we don't have e-mail accidents again, so all is cool.

What's done is done and no more mad Robert

Angry Thin Thin Flat Him only arises thrice per decade, let's keep him in hiding for a while.

Hey, Rob, I think I have an easy way to backup files by default. If possible, set up (or have Khan set up) an IMAP account through your e-mail server and then download an e-mail client, such as Thunderbird, to extract the messages from your inbox while keeping them in the server. You can use Thunderbird to read and write e-mail, while having two copies of everything: 1) your e-mails as they are now on the server, accessed as you probably do now by logging in through the Web and 2) your e-mails through the mail client. Using the mail client, you can also transfer your files to your hard drive.

Thunderbird

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Oh, and if everyone isn't already, I suggest using Firefox as your default Web browser. It's much more secure than Internet Explorer with a lot cooler features. Not to mention you will be supporting the open source/free software movement.

Firefox

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/