shaving

V VII Hero

Ive had a beard since the last photo. it was pretty full yesterday and I looked like a mountain man. I finally shaved it off, and I realized i have a very strong jawline. and a tanline. hahaha. oh yeh but to get to my post

how do you get rid of razor burn, and prevent breakouts and stuff like that? i cant help but have those problems when i shave my face, chest, armpits, etc. no matter how much i clean.

for shaving my face, i only use an electric shaver. i use evening primrose cream (i hope that is the right expression) to becalm my skin and it works very well. these standard wilkinson or gilette shavers are just not for me, i only cut myself so that i look like if i was coming straight from a splatter movie

i only use them for shaving my armpits and other interesting areas all over my body while showering. the best you can do is to use cold water so that your pores close and your skin doesn't get irritated. when you're finished just apply some jojoba oil (right expression?) on the shaved areas and your skin will be fine.

happy shaving

I get little breakouts and ingrown hairs on my thighs. Lower legs don't have a problem, neither do armpits, or stomach. Chest does a little bit and man...........I hate having to shave my face! I have to every single morning that I work (5 days a week) but when I don't have a specific job that makes me shave; I don't. I look like a mountain man as well. Maybe in some of my older photos on the site you can see the beard or signs of not shaving for a few days.

I get breakouts on my neck. So every morning my face and neck bleed.....fun! But I just shave and then shower (or shaving arms, chest, etc in the shower) and then I apply some vegan body lotion all over and I feel quite a bit better. Especially after letting water run over my sliced up face! Maybe I just suck at shaving and shouldn't cut myself all the time.

I don't know if there is a "perfect" way to avoid those breakouts, ingrown hairs and stuff like that. I'm sure lots of oils and skin care products work pretty well.

For me, I know I look forward to not working a "regular" job that won't let me have facial hair, then I'm turning into Big Foot!

Best of luck, stay smooth, no pun intended

• 4 weeks later...

Waxing instead of shaving you armpits (and other parts that you males want to shave) will leave your skin smooth and break out free. ALso, you will be hairless for at least a couple of weeks, with no stubble. There are waxes for sensitive skin too.

Of course, the question is are you man enough to take the pain of somebody putting hot wax across your skin and then ripping it off?

Maybe if you try it, you will have a whole new kind of respect for us gals!!

I shave with just the razor. Seeing that a lot of the creams for shaving have some sort of animal products in it, I just got used to regular razor.

same here. I dont use shaving cream or soap or anything. I use just the razor. but I still break out and it sucks. i look good for the first day or two and then bam! bumpies!

Try using lotion. There are plenty of lotions that are not tested on animals and that contain no animal products. They can be just regular body lotions or even hand lotions. It will help sooth the skin as it shaves and sooth it afterwards as well. So it should make it feel a lot nicer and hopefully help with the breakouts.

I also shower or wash my face/body whatever I was shaving immediately afterwards to "heal the wounds."

There should be vegan forms of shaving cream and things like that as well. I heard it's not great to shave with soaps, although I did it for years. Now I use the vegan lotion method.

Also a friend just told me about using olive oil and it will prevent breakouts. I haven't tried it yet. Anyone know anything about this?

Interesting how none of you big strong men even commented on waxing. Don't even wanna go there, do ya?

That's understandable. Woman who have had children tell me that waxing sensitive spots is almost as painful as pushing a 9 pound baby out of you.

It costs money, and I aint rich...

Interesting how none of you big strong men even commented on waxing. Don't even wanna go there, do ya?

That's understandable. Woman who have had children tell me that waxing sensitive spots is almost as painful as pushing a 9 pound baby out of you.

some girls have told me some pretty bad stories about waxing. haha. i dont have money to pay someone to do it. and theres no way i can wax myself.

Is waxing vegan? How is the wax derived or created?

I don't know a whole lot about it, but kind of assumed it was not vegan.

I have done it in the past. When I worked in the spa for Celebrity Cruises I had my friend wax my legs back in 2002 and it was extremely painful!

I haven't touched it since then, assuming it was not vegan.

Anyone know more about it?

Good point. I always assumed that it was.

I guess it depends on the wax. You can make home made wax with vegan ingredients, although I have never tried this.

But please note that some of the razors you use may also be not vegan. For example, most razor companies are NOT cruelty -free especially Gilette.

Yeah, a lot of bathroom items need special consideration. That is what I love about the Natural co-ops where I live. They have all of that stuff that is not name brand and that does not come from a large corporation.

Look for the:

Not Tested on Animals

Contains No Animal By-Products

Vegan

Certified Vegan

Labels on products you purchase.

• 1 month later...
Waxing instead of shaving you armpits (and other parts that you males want to shave) will leave your skin smooth and break out free. ALso, you will be hairless for at least a couple of weeks, with no stubble. There are waxes for sensitive skin too.

Of course, the question is are you man enough to take the pain of somebody putting hot wax across your skin and then ripping it off?

Maybe if you try it, you will have a whole new kind of respect for us gals!!

I think women and/or men shouldn't shave or wax if they don't want to, seems like a big waste of time to me, and only a personal preference. I shave only in emergencies on my face, or when I feel like a change. I'd hate to feel like I have to do that stuff. Sometimes people tell me I look like a mess if I haven't shaved in a few weeks, but I could care less (and by "care less", I mean "couldn't care less")

PS: Mountain Men are awesome! I hope I live in the mountains one day. This of course is an exaggeration

gross sirdle. lol.

Anyway, Wash your face before you do it. It softens up the skind and hair. Then you can try lotion afterwords. But when you wash wherever you're shaving first the skin pulls in the moisture and it does something so that it won't get iritated. I don't know about waxing. I've tried it and I can't seem to get it to work. I haven't paid to have someone do it yet though. Might try it sometime... ANyway, I know you people want to know this.

RECAP:

Wash area first. And don't just do a quick wash, or it won't help. Then shave. Put lotion on if you feel the need to, which you should do anyway. If what your doing doesn't work leave the soap on the area longer, then shave.

Ok, I"m done. Hope I was some help!