The Health Guardians

Oh, cool! I hope these guys catch on. A cartoon series would be great!

Interesting, but it falls into an old trap of cartoons and comics depicting all main characters as male. Where are the female health guardians?

Kat,Yea, the usual but I bet if it caught on, they'd add a (token) female

You know that's what she'd be. But cool, nonetheless.

Do you remember any female superheroes? I remember I loved the male superheroes, but, if I think about it, I never really wanted to be them or my imagination didn't really go there; but when I saw Wonder Woman reruns (remember Lynda Carter?), I thought that was just so awesome! They showed them everyday and I'd watch all the episodes. Yea, she was beautiful, but she kicked ass which is what was really new to me. I can't really think of any others...oh, I do remember a Saturday morning kids'-Wonder Woman-type duo called, Elektro Woman and Dina Girl Good Lord.

I love cartoons . If there were still good-quality ones out, I'd be watching them.

I wonder if any males have admired any female superheroes? If not, my guess is they haven't done any (female superheroes) right. Or do those female wrestlers count???

Do you remember any female superheroes? I remember I loved the male superheroes, but, if I think about it, I never really wanted to be them or my imagination didn't really go there; but when I saw Wonder Woman reruns (remember Lynda Carter?), I thought that was just so awesome! They showed them everyday and I'd watch all the episodes. Yea, she was beautiful, but she kicked ass which is what was really new to me. I can't really think of any others...oh, I do remember a Saturday morning kids'-Wonder Woman-type duo called, Elektro Woman and Dina Girl Good Lord.

I used to read Superman comics, and Superman and the Legion of Super heroes. In the Legion of Superheroes, there are about as many female super heroes as males: Duplicate girl (used to be "Triplicate Girl" until one of her "selves" was killed off---she later married boucing boy...it's amazing what I remember from the past, when I sometimes can't even remember what I had to eat yesterday, LOL!), Phantom girl ( who could go invisible), Princess Projecta (who could make illusions seem real), Supergirl (why all these "girls" when the males are "men"?), Saturn girl (she could read minds---seems like the women were into the emotions/mid things while the men kicked butt) and several others, as well as female opponents.

There was also the Metal Men, with the token female, Tina (who was the only one referred to by a human-like name--she was made out of platinum, and had a crush on her maker---later on in the series, instead of being and looking all metal, they got a make-over and had a human skin on top).

The other comic series (besides DC with Superman and Batman) had Hawkgirl, Wonder Woman and a few more, though I was more into DC comics.

I actually have a book on female super heroes, and I'm sure there are several I've forgotten that are in there.

And of course, there are the "X-men," with quite a few female characters.

Seems to me like the "Health avengers" could at least replace "glassman" (to remind one to drink water? ) with "Aqua," a female heroine.

..it's amazing what I remember from the past, when I sometimes can't even remember what I had to eat yesterday, LOL!), .

I know! I remember details of seemingly mindless things...but it makes you wonder just how mindless and/or innocuous they actually are

I've always believed cartoons and tv, movies -- all have bigger impact on us than a lot of people want us to believe -- especially the sponge brains of children. All the gratuitous sex scenes (every "successful" film has gotta have it), the glorification of violence...

Anyway, off topic as usual

Your descriptions sound really interesting. I never read comics and didn't even know there were female heroines I guess the male ones were just more interesting to make movies about, by non-sexist Hollywood

Like the "Aqua" idea.

FormicaLinoleum, you're right, I forgot about X-Men . Of course, they weren't around when I was a child.

That is great your friend loved Wonder Woman! Usually, the boys liked her because she was pretty

• 2 weeks later...

It arrived and my youngest devoured it. The first thing she asked was "why are they all boys?"

It is OK, but I wasn't overly pleased with it overall. My daughter likes it and the information is all there so I guess it just depends on your child. Mine loves anything supporting here decision to be veg, so she totes it around shows it to all her friends.

Oh, and it came with a child's tee shirt, which she proudly wears.

Seafood Gladiator's name confuses me.

Why not Seaweed Gladiator, especially since seaweed is what he represents. Most people think of fish or shellfish, when they think "seafood."

His excerpt:

SEAFOOD GLADIATOR

The SEAFOOD GLADIATOR is a member of the Health Guardians.

His powers come from the ocean’s natural resources - seaweeds.

Seaweed is very nutritious and we should eat it as much as possible.

The Ocean’s water is very similar in the make up of human blood. Some studies show seaweeds contain more minerals than farmed land plants. Seaweeds contain medicinal value that treats high blood pressure, strokes, goiter, thyroid, and some forms of cancer.

I thought it was odd as well until I read what he represented. I do think sea weed would have been more appropriate.

There is one thing which I don't quite agree with, which is the book says starches are bad, i.e. any veg which doesn't get direct sun such as potaotes, carrots, etc.

Now, dabbling in BB for some time, I know many BBer's who will not eat any starches, so I am familiar with the "IT"S BAD FOR YOU! grrr" concept. I was just suprised to see it in the book.

Seafood Gladiator's name confuses me.

Why not Seaweed Gladiator, especially since seaweed is what he represents. Most people think of fish or shellfish, when they think "seafood."

I thought the same thing. When I saw his name, I thought he'd promote salmon. But maybe they didn't choose "seaweed" because "weeds" have a negative connotation. Or maybe they want to change people's perception of 'food from the sea' to 'plant food from the sea.'