Washing Quinoa

Quinoa is a relatively new thing in my kitchen, but I am sure a lot of you guys have plenty of experience with it. So here's my question: How do you wash the quinoa before cooking it? I have tried various approaches, but for some reason there's always a slightly bitter component in the cooked quinoa, indicating that I have not completely removed the saponins coating the seeds. So far, the best method I've tried is soaking the seeds overnight and then discarding the water - but I assume there must be a faster way.

Looking forward to some hot quinoa talk

All the best,

Niels

I put the quinoa in a strainer (with small enough holes that the quinoa won't fall through), stick the strainer in a bowl of water and swish around a bit, then run some fresh water over it.

I haven't noticed any bitter taste to the quinoa with this method.

It takes me a while to wash it, exciton. I rub it through my hands in a strainer while running warm water over it or -- less water waste -- I put in in a small fine-mesh strainer and hold it under water in a bowl full of water. You see all this dirt come out!

I really rub it because just rinsing or dunking doesn't get it all out. I try to get it till the water runs clear. That may be how to approach it. I wash it till it's almost clear, as some of what comes out is just starch. But I say scrub it under water and scrub it good!

Nice to see you post

Thanks for sharing your methods guys! The reason for generally wishing to reduce the saponin content in the qunioa meal, is the fact that these compounds (may) act as antinutrients [1,2,3]. However, it is also evident from some of these texts, that there are quinoa varieties with very low saponin content. This could perhaps explain why some of you report that relatively little washing is required.

[1] http://www.unu.edu/Unupress/food/V191e/ch10.htm

[2] http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ncnu02/v5-110.html or

[3]http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1993/V2-328.html#Saponins

Nice to see you post

I am a slow starter, but I promise you: You ain't seen nothing yet

Really?! Awesome!

Hmmm...or should I wait to read your posts to determine whether it is or not

That third link was interesting in that it suggests (I think) that saponins may potentially have a beneficial application?

Scrub 'em!

Nice to see you post

Really?! Awesome!

Probably a good idea

That third link was interesting in that it suggests (I think) that saponins may potentially have a beneficial application?

Scrub 'em!

Well, the last paper suggests that saponins may modulate the intestinal absorption of certain compounds. Medicinal chemist will be interested in this, since they are always in search for ways to increase the absorption of their latest drug (so that it can be administered orally instead of IV). However, I am not a fan of this type of research, since it will involve animal testing and hence suffering.

Nice to see you post

Really?! Awesome!

Probably a good idea

Scrub 'em!

Well, the last paper suggests that saponins may modulate the intestinal absorption of certain compounds. Medicinal chemist will be interested in this, since they are always in search for ways to increase the absorption of their latest drug (so that it can be administered orally instead of IV). However, I am not a fan of this type of research, since it will involve animal testing and hence suffering.

Ah. Okay

I just throw the quinoa in a pot and cook it. Is it bad to not wash it first? am I totally f---ing myself up?

The situation may not be that bad. If the cooked quinoa is not bitter, you may have purchased a variety with low saponin content. In any case, you should probably not fear anything else than a somewhat reduced nutrient absorption from a "bitter meal".