Protein

Welcome to the forum...you'll get all the answers you need here so feel free to ask any questions about converting

All beans have quite a bit of protein(soy and lentils are tops for me), peas are a great source, nuts, grains like quinoa(high quality minimally processed grains have quite a bit of protein)...many types of rice have quite a bit of protein too, pasta(one serving of most pastas has 7g)hemp seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds(pretty much all seeds used in food are pretty loaded with protein), spirulina(algae thats 60% protein)...all the soy derivatives...tofu, tempeh, miso, soy milk/yogurt, textured vegetable protein(TVP)

Really though there are amino acids(protein building blocks) in every vegetable a person eats...these aminos come together to make complete proteins so theres a ton of ways to get it. I'm trying to decrease muscle now and honestly its almost impossible for me to avoid it while taking in a reasonable amount of calories.

also, and interesting fact: brocolli is about 1/3-1/2 protein (by calories)!!!!

came to a suprise to me, but looking at the back of some frozen brocolli shows this to be true! 3g of protein = 12 calories out of a 25 calorie serving.

I do understand there is may be some issues with the quality of the protein from brocolli (in terms of amino acid profile and completeness), but I still think this is cool fact for those people who say veggies can't help u get strong!

Protein quality is likely a red-herring notion and also self-inflicted harm by vegetarians.

I say red-herring for two main reasons:

1) The complete and incomplete proteins theme is based on an arbitrary amino acid profile: eggs and milk. I have searched often and I have found no reports showing any basis for why that profile should be met. Note: If anyone knows of any research showing why that profile is ideal, please post. With no basis, it appears to simply be dogma, on the assumption that eggs or milk are some perfect food source. My guess: researcher just assumed eggs and milk are perfect food, found egg and milk amino acid profile and based an ideal profile on that.

2) The so-called incomplete protein sources (except for very low protein sources such as apples but then they have so little protein, they should not been seen as a source anyway) are not lacking essential amino acid, as this theme implies; they are just lower in it than the ideal profile (see #1) and most are low by a statistically small amount.

For example, most of these labeled incomplete proteins are low in one or two essential amino by only 10 to 25%. In other words they have 75%+ of one or two essential amino acids and 100%+ of the others, in comparison to the arbitrary ideal profile. For example, this means that 10 grams of rice protein (rice contains 75% of the lysine of the named ideal protein source and 100%+ of all others) would have the same or more of all essential amino acids as 7.5 grams of protein of the ideal profile. Statistically, how does that matter?

I state this is a red-herring notion because even if #1 proved true (it seems more dogma than evidence), this would only be a problem if a) you ate only that one food source as 100% of you diet (you would have more problem than worrying about your protein in that case) AND b) you were just eating and digesting the bare minimum of needed protein (there is likely no, non-starving person, in the entire world not eating enough protein - unless you just eat refined sugar or something, you could not do it if you tried, without starving.)

On broccoli's amino acid profile and how vegetarians hurt themselves:

On broccoli's amino acid profile compared to the coined ideal profile: It is only low in leucine by 17% (has 83% of the leucine, in comparison to egg and milk ideal profile.) For comparison, the average fat cut of hamburger meat has 79% of the tryptophan of the ideal profile, therefore it is considered incomplete and by more than broccoli, yet have you ever heard anyone state this (besides me)? No and the reason is that this is likely only dogma and is used more for propaganda (planting the seed: have to worry about your protein if a vegetarian) than health concerns.

What troubles me is that vegetarians are the chief people that keep this fallacy alive. The majority of vegetarian messages I read (from message boards like this to editorials to newsletters to magazines) play into this protein quality dogma. In other words, we are doing our critics own fighting for them, by accepting this lesser-protein notion as fact versus the pulled-from-the-sky assumption that it likely is.

Edited by 9nines

Cheers to you bro...I met a monk at an environmental conferance in Philly and he has lived nearly the last 50yrs of his life on brown rice alone...anything else is an excess in life to him so he doesn't flavor it...even add salt. He was probably close to 70 and looked incredible...I could imagine the water he drinks in China has some important impurities and such but big deal. He's getting all he needs from brown rice.

It's all about the blueberries (antioxidants) Protein is overrated.... although for a short term boosting effect it can be useful for strength performances.... Hummus, oatmeal, whole wheat, some beans is my protein.

Hey Godlover!

IMHO you should think about why you worry about protein. Your Worries reflect the fact that you think a vegan diet is unadequate for humans (and for you). But this is not the case.

There is need to eat only protein rich food to ensure an adequate supply.

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first visit here. I am so glad to hear all your opinions about protein and how much and what kind needed. I hear people recommend at least one gram per pound of body weight to build muscle and lose fat.

Since I am converting to a vegetarian diet I was wondering if I would get enough protein and absorb and process this protein to be healthy.

This is great

Pretty much everybody here has no problem absorbing protein and being healthy...thats one of the easiest parts of a vegan diet. As for protein to weight ratio you can build on alot less than a 1g to 1lbs ratio...as long as your over 0.4g to 1lbs you should do fine. I'm about 195lbs and I'm working on losing muscle and I eat about 25grams a day and its not seeming to make me lose any muscle at all.

Hemp is an excellent protein source: it is easilty assimilable and contains a good array of amino acids. "Vega meal replacement" and "Nutiva" protein powder are two good products. Nutiva just came out with some flavored smoothies, which I ordered and haven't yet tried.

• 1 month later...
This is my first visit here...

Welcome! I'm in Florida too

Nice lots of floridians

I came from another forum where they are suggesting 1.5 plus per pound of body weight. That seems like too much to me. Someone commented that it could be harmful and hard on the kidneys.

What does anyone know about this?

From the time I was 14-22 I ate around 1gram per lbs(complete protein, I really ate much more) and I never experienced any problems other than urinating out whole soybean pods