Fruit & Bodybuildng

Ravi

I have a bodybuilding friend who will only drink OJ after a workout because of the sugar, and I've brought up other reasons as to why he should eat fruits (not listed in the article), but I'm going to have to link him to this article. I thought it was well written though.

I think this article is kinda pointless unless it's suggesting a high intake of fruits and even then it's kinda redundant.....

Cooked food takes up so much of the bodies energy just to digest it so the fruits probably never get to actually do what it's supposed to....

Good article.

I hear you, Bigbwii. The guy should have said that you don't need any cooked food, and that the best way to perfect health is 100% fruit 100% raw. He didn't talk much about the protein value of fruits - I don't think he mentioned nuts and seeds.

I've actually been gradually reducing cooked food in my diet, and for the last few days my diet has been 100% raw, 100% fruit, and I feel really good. I'm going to stick with it!

It's just when I go to formal dinners at college that it could be a problem. I'll probably just decline the invitation!

Thanks again for the article Ravi. Always good to see that sort of thing. Even if it doesn't go as far as it should, it's going in the right direction!

From my own personal experiences, I would not recommend that someone go 100% Fruit. I am a strong believer that we ALSO need our dark leafy greens and many other veggies. High fruit is good tho, 75% is a nice # for me

I agree. I don't think a long-term, all-fruit diet is the healthiest, but it's good for short-term cleansing. I just think there are too many deficiencies that can come about from 'all fruit" (unless someone is very liberal with their definition of 'fruit'!).

Why is it every time someone says that they feel great eating fruits you get others peeing on the parade....?

Guys if you feel good doing what your doing then FANTASTIC....keep doing it and go with the flow.....

Personaly I'm real happy for you guys...because your happy....

It's all personal prefrence...

I think it's all about finding what works for you and being at peace with it....I don't think anybody has the right to discourage anyone from doing something just because they had a bad time...what may not work for you may work well for someone else....

I'm perfect proof of that!!!....everybody told me I was crazy and wad doomed to failure and some said I wouldn't live more than 2 months....so if you feel that going 100% fruits is right for you at this moment then go with your instincts..... just find what works for you

Why is it every time someone says that they feel great eating fruits you get others peeing on the parade....? :

Because we are concerned about their long-term health.

It's all personal preference...

It's more than just personal preference. There's a scientific basis to nutrition, and the science shows that it isn't possible to get the nutrients one needs just from fruits. If someone 'prefers' a diet of all processed foods or eating only nuts or eating mostly jam and white bread followed by a can of some soft drink, it's not "all personal preference,' it's about finding a diet that not just 'feels good,' but is healthy. Some diets may work well in the short-term, but not long term.

And if fruitarianism does work long-term for some people, I would think that it's something that works only after your body is prepared for it, after transitioning first to raw foods for an extended period of time, then into fruits.

Do you know of any research on long-term fruitarians that shows that they have no deficiencies? ARE there any long-term fruitarians?

I don't mean to be hostile towards fruitarianism, but I AM very cautious and sceptical about it.

Then be very cautious and sceptical about it....I'm not denying you that..

Infact part of the reason why I'm so open with showing people my developements is to show people like you that it is possible to live a healthy lifestyle on fruits....

I'm not trying to convert anyone or argue a point ...I'm saying to keep an open mind and let others enjoy their discoveries....

As far as this knowing any long term Fruitarian stuff I do happen to know several people that have been doing it for 20-30 years....these people are out there but are sick of all the negative, narrow mindedness that they get from others....so they pretty much keep to themselfves and by the way being a Fruitarian is NOT just about eating fruits.....eating just fruits is MY OWN personal choice because that's what I thrive on....Fruitarianism basically covers Fruits nuts, seeds and veggies.....again it all personal preference!

I bet if we all got tested we would all be deficient in something....nothing is perfect...least of all our health....

Just do what makes you happy!

Fruitarianism basically covers Fruits nuts, seeds and veggies.....again it all personal preference!

Well, I agree that that brand of "fruitarianism" would work, but it's not really fruitarianism as I understand it (which is "fruits only," including the 'veggies that are biologically fruits," like cucumbers, peppers, tomates). This sounds more like raw food veganism, omitting grains. I just got my understanding of fruitarianism primarily from Victorus Kulvinskas, and it is "fruits only."

So Bigbwii, what does a typical week's menu look like for you? That would give me a better understanding of this view of fruitarianism. TIA!

No it wouldn't because I just eat fruits...but that's my personal choice..I'm not declaring that how I eat is the be all and end all and is the only way people can live a successful raw lifestyle, it's my personal choice....and who is Victorus Kulvinskas to tell you what to eat or to define for the whole world what Fruitarianism is and isn't....NATURE already did that for us....

My weekly menu right now is water melon and will probably stay this way till the end of summer...

i think fruit gets a bad rap because people mistake detox for deficiency. for example, often one's teeth might hurt when stop eating junk. is this detox or your teeth are falling out of your head because you're not getting x nutrient?

"it makes me weak, look like a drug addict without his fix (i wonder why), and crave my old foods - i must need the nutrients in those foods - this diet is deficient!" in my experience if you persist through all that passes and higher vitality than before is achieved.

the funniest thing to me is the majority of this nation has a total deficient diet of processed grains and foods, candies, etc, making up many people's entire diet, for majority of their lives. yet a diet of fruit - most digestible, with an abundance of nutrients is dangerous.

i doubt we get much from the raw root/etc vegetables with the indigestible cellulose.

tell me what has more assimilable nutrients than fruit?

then again who really knows? i've been wrong many times before i remember when beef and 1-2g of animal protein/lb was healthy and a glass of milk every morning would give me strong bones. we are a lucky crowd here to have made it this far, considering at one time 'science' said a diet without animal products would cause deficiency!

i'm open to further enlightenment!

edit: sorry i got a new keyboard and it's really fun to type on, haha

Edited by seand

I think summer is the perfect time to switch to a fruitarian diet. It is wonderful. Personally I've been eating a wide range of fruit, and I eat up to 500g of nuts and raisins every day. (I've also been going to sleep when it gets dark and waking up when day breaks, which I believe is very important for optimal health.)

i doubt we get much from the raw root/etc vegetables with the indigestible cellulose.

Well, I'm pretty sure that raw beetroot is poisonous, and that you have to boil potatoes and turnips. You can eat raw cabbage and carrots.

Yes, greens, spinach, lettuce, broccoli, and celery are all nutritious - though not as easily digested as fruit - and they are even listed in the article below from the Living Nutrition and Fruitarian Worldwide Network (though this combines raw-foodism and fruitarianism).

LIVING NUTRITION AND FRUITARIAN WORLDWIDE NETWORK

There is a fast growing awareness, from millions of people worldwide, that there are much better and NATURAL ways to health than the conventional methods. Like all of us, you would probably be interested if there was a way to:

Enjoy superior health

Have amazing levels of energy

Truly enjoy life

Live without the cost of supplements and "potions"

You have within your reach the most precious jewel of true health — without which really NOTHING is of value. The key to superior health is found, very simply, in making a change in your lifestyle and diet, and move to the NATURAL, RAW, and UNCOOKED FOOD, as provided for you by Nature itself. Eating fruits and vegetables as most animals do in the wild. That simple!

What is the Fruitarian Raw Food Diet?

A typical Fruitarian eats and drinks:

Sweet Fruits: Oranges, bananas, apples, melons, grapes, papayas, berries, figs, dates, mangoes, etc.

Non Sweet Fruits: cucumbers, avocados, bell peppers, tomatoes, etc.

Vegetables: lettuces and other greens, celery, etc.

Nuts and Seeds: Sunflower and squash seeds, almonds, walnuts, soft coconut meat, etc.

Also: coconut water, juices, water, and other raw and living foods.

A Fruitarian doesn't eat:

Meat, dairy products, grain products, bread, pasta, rice, cakes, soft drinks, junk food, processed food and other cooked foods. [/size]

The Basis for Fruitarianism

Fruitarianism may appear to be a new and quite radical concept, while actually it is a revival from a very ancient way of eating, dating back millions of years. As you might imagine, our ancestors did not live on bread and processed foods, but rather on the vibrant fruits and vegetables that are available in Nature. In the early 1900's, a group called "Natural Hygienists" pioneered this revival. Natural Hygiene is a philosophy that teaches natural way of healing through diet, fasting and healthful, natural living. The Fruitarian Raw Food Diet is not a fad. Scientific proof is substantiated by intense research and studies on teeth of our earliest ancestors.

Also, according to our anatomy, our biology and physiology, we are actually "frugivores," or fruit eaters. Our whole body system is geared for the Fruitarian Raw Food Diet. Fresh, organic fruit is the most nutritionally complete food for humans, and is the best source of glucose, which is the body and brain's best fuel. Some of our Network members have been experiencing great level of health on the Fruitarian Raw Food Diet (which includes vegetables) for 5 to 50 years! Fruitarians experience superb mental clarity, physical strength and endurance, rejuvenation of youthful vitality, and renewed joy of living. Many have overcome all kinds of diseases via Fruitarianism, including all kinds of folks from children to college students to medical doctors to seniors. We are inspired to know that Leonardo da Vinci, Henry David Thoreau, and Mahatma Gandhi were mostly Fruitarians, or gearing towards that ideal, and that today there are several celebrities and professional athletes who are Raw Food Fruitarians, such as actor Woody Harrelson, singer Brian Adams and others.

The great, past Life Hygienist, T. C. Fry, wrote a beautiful essay titled: "Humans & Fruit: Symbiotic Partners In Life." Mr. Fry wrote:

"But the greatest wisdom of all, perhaps, was that which created the food package (fruit) to proportionately meet the precise needs of its eaters; those creatures who, in taking and becoming dependent on these foods, became the fruit plant's biological symbiont. That this method of seed distribution was successful is evidenced by the thousands of kinds of fruits created around the seeds in nature. Fruit attracts human senses in nature and are gourmet delights in their natural ripened state which ensures their survival. Also, fruit contains no poisons in the fresh ripened state, whereas almost all plants and seeds contain components which we cannot metabolize, hence are toxic directly or indirectly.....Fruits are the natural food of humans and the only food category ideally suited to all their faculties. This does not mean we should, in our present circumstances, eat fruit totally and exclusively, but it does mean that, in nature, that's all we ate as attested by Dr. Walker."

The Fruitarian Diet Ultimately Brings You and the Planet Great Health

A predominant Fruitarian Diet brings great benefits to our physical, mental and spiritual well being. The primary reason is that Fruit is a LIVE food! Fruit is laden with enzymes, and because of this it is already in partly pre-digested state. Fruit is ripened by the Sun and contains its energy. Fruit stays alive when picked. By eating fruit and scattering the seeds we do not destroy life — the seeds are ready for reproduction for the benefit of mankind and all other fruit-eaters in Nature!

Because a Fruitarian Raw Food Diet is very "cleansing," bringing about a detoxification and elimination process, you may well need guidance and direction. The Fruitarian Worldwide Network of combined knowledge and experience can help and support you on the Fruitarian Raw Food Path.

The Fruitarian Worldwide Community

The Fruitarian Worldwide Network brings like-minded people from all over the world together for mutual support and inspiration in the joys of Fruitarian Living. We invite you to join us on this joyous journey to a very beautiful, peaceful lifestyle of True Health on the Natural Fruit and Plant Foods from Nature

Well, I'm pretty sure that raw beetroot is poisonous

I sure hope not. I eat them raw all the time (it's the red ones, right?). I juice some a few times a week and you can even eat the leaves, so I just push everything down into the juicer.

Beets are also the sweetest vegetable there is (it has the most sugar). At least I heard that somewhere (Wikipedia?). It has an "earthy" taste to it that takes a little time to get used to.

I've heard that beet juice in large amounts can be poisonous though.

And I've heard there's cyanide in apple seeds... (been eating 'em for years!) Plus large enough amounts of fresh air, H2O & sunshine, and sweet, sweet lovin' can kill ya too! Edited by loveliberate

Thanks for making me look half-right on that issue! Sorry about that. I just saw recipes using raw potatoes and turnips, too, so I was totally mistaken about root vegetables.

I'll be quiet now.

And I've there's cyanide in apple seeds! (been eating 'em for years!) Plus large enough amounts of fresh air, H2O & sunshine, and sweet, sweet lovin' can kill ya too!

Yeah, anything to make people stay of the dangerous veggies

I saw that you qouted Cartman in another thread, this is what he has to say to people who don't wnt to eat veggie 'cause they're poisonus:

http://www.jewlicious.com/wp-content/cartman.jpg