Robert's Training Journal - A Tale of Yeah's and Buddy's

I will try to get more detailed reports like I did years ago. Years ago, everything was logged. Every piece of food, and at what time, how many calories, protein, etc. I had months and months worth of charts. It was fun and interesting to see.

I should do it again soon!

I'm still at 4% bodyfat and leaner than I was in my last bodybuilding contest!!!!

So eating a lot isn't going as well as I'd hoped, but I am eating out a lot, so hopefully that will help.

I can still run about a 5:30 mile....now that is just silly for a bodybuilder.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert...you've gotta get big so finishing a mile is trouble...my coach always told me a shot putter should never be able to break 8 minutes even if he kills himself trying...meaning you've gotta focus on explosiveness more if you body is capable of running for that long...I personally know olympians that can't even finish a mile without walking

I trained Chest last night.

I started with flat bench:

Bar for 40 reps

135 x 15

135 x 15

175 x 6

195 x 5

215 x 5

Decline bench:

135 x 15

185 x 6

205 x 5

225 x 5

Pec-deck machine

110 x 15

130 x 12

130 x 12

100 x 12

That was it, but intense and good enough for me!

I'm try to keep workouts short, but intense and hardcore. Just a few exercises for 3-5 sets and then go eat!

Is the intensity enough to leave you not being able to do anything else??? Thats what always worked for me. It seems like it almost didn't matter what I did in the gym so long as I lifted until I couldn't move...other than injuring myself my gains were pretty consistent up until I peaked out before going vegan. When I went vegan it was back to all gaining again.

Yeah, I like to train with a lot of intensity so it is hard to walk afterwards if it is leg day, or use arms to drive it's arms, etc.

Yesterday I trained back:

Hyperextensions for lower back - about 10 sets of 20-25 reps

Lat-pull downs 2-3 sets

Reverse-grip lat pull-downs 5 sets

Cable rows 5 sets

One-arm dumbbell rows (variation stove6 showed me) 4-5 sets

About a 45 minute workout but it was tough and intense and lots of veins were flowing and sticking out in the arms

I trained legs today.

Just 3 sets of squats, and 7 sets of leg presses. I was short on time, but all of that took 40 minutes due to the resting time needed to move heavy weight.

I'm only squatting very light weights, but the leg press is still pretty heavy. I am pleased that I've been busy and consistent at the gym these days. It is really good for me to be hitting it hard again

Today was arm day.

I started with machine bicep curls one arm at a time for about 3 sets. Then both arms together for about 3 sets. Then I moved to dumbbell Hammer Curls and hit 3 sets there. Nothing major, just 35s in each hand.

After that I moved over to the high pulley cable and did high bicep curls (like doing a double biceps pose on stage) for 4 or 5 sets. Then I did some low pulley bicep curls for maybe 2-3 sets.

I moved to triceps and did 3 sets up rope pull-downs for about 15 reps each set.

After that I did one-arm overhead extensions, about 4-5 sets each arm. Then 3 or 4 sets of dips about 15 reps each set and some bench dips and called it good after exactly 60 minutes.

I feel pretty pumped these days. Hopefully I'll be in good shape for the Vegan Vacation.

I trained shoulders today.

Overhead press (machine)

5 sets about 10 reps per set.

Cable side laterals (one arm at a time)

4 sets 20 reps each

Posterior delt raises with dumbbells

4 sets 12 reps each set

Shrugs

3 sets 15 reps with dumbbells (100's in each hand)

Dumbbell front raises

I did a couple of sets of dumbbell front raises to finish the shoulder workout.

I also trained abs and did a variety of crunches, sit-ups and one ab machine

davidtarrfoster and I trained a complete upper body workout last night. evrim from the forum was also there.

We did mostly machines, 2 for chest, 2 for back, 1 for biceps, 2 for triceps, 2 for shoulders, and called it good!

Then went out to eat

Today is an off day and I'm really trying to recover from being stressed and not getting enough sleep.

I should be back at it tomorrow.

Can anyone say,...LEGS! Bring it!

Hey Rob, I am just now discovering this section of the BB with training journals...pretty cool!

I see that you do quick a lot of sets for each exercise (up to 7 for each exercise). Have you always trained this way? I've always stuck to 2-3 sets for each exercise (sometimes 4) and find myself completely wiped out by the last set.

Yeah, I was terrible about keeping a training log online but Sensless kept reminding me to do it, so I have been

There are certain muscle groups I like to do one exercise for 7 sets. Leg Press is one of them. I just like to keep building up and building up and building up and then I get wiped out and don't do anymore.

For the most part, I like to do 3-5 sets, sometimes including a warm-up set (always on my first exercise of the workout, sometimes 2 warm-up sets).

I also like to hit it quick these days. Get in, get down to business, and get out. I'm usually done in under 60 minutes. I rest 30-60 seconds between sets so I stay pumped the whole time.

It will be cool for a bunch of us to train together in a couple of weeks!

Dave and I trained legs two nights ago.

Squats (recovering from back injury, very light weight)

bar x 15 reps

bar x 15 reps

95 x 15 reps

135 x 15 reps

155 x 15 reps

Leg Press

180 x 15

360 x 15

450 x 12

540 x 10

180 x 25

Standing hamstring curls (one leg at a time of course)

50 x 15

50 x 15

60 x 15

60 x 15

Calf raises

180 x 15

270 x 15

360 x 15

360 x 10

Done

Dave and I trained upper body last night:

Bench Press

135 x 20

175 x 5

195 x 5

215 x 5

Incline Dumbbell Flys

50 in each hand x 12

Back Hammer Strength Row

90 x 15

140 x 15

180 x 15

200 x 12

One-arm dumbbell rows

60 each arm, one at a time x 15

Military Press

bar x 15

95 x 10

95 x 8

95 x 8

95 x 6

Lateral raises

25lb dumbbells in each hand x 15

EZ bar bicep curls

50 x 12

50 x 12

40 x 12

40 x 10

Hammer curls

40 in each hand x 8

Skull crushers + close grip bench press superset after each set

80 x 10

60 x 12

60 x 12

60 x 12

Bench dips

bodyweight x 10

Done

Heavy Back Day Today!

Lat pull-downs

3 sets of warm-up for about 15 reps each

Wide grip pull-ups

bodyweight x 8

bodyweight x 10

bodyweight + 10lbs x 10

bodyweight + 20lbs x 8

bodyweight + 20lbs x 6

Narrow grip pull-ups

bodyweight + 20lbs x 10

bodyweight + 20lbs x 8

bodyweight + 25lbs x 6

bodyweight + 25lbs x 6

T-bar rows

75 x 12

95 x 12

125 x 8

125 x 8

Shrugs

180 x 14

270 x 12

270 x 13

270 x 14

One-arm dumbbell rows (stove6 style)

60 x 12

60 x 12

60 x 12

60 x 10

Exhausted! Hungry! Satisfied

Chest today. Short workout due to some distractions, but it's all good.

Bench press

bar x 15

135 x 15

185 x 5

205 x 5

225 x 3

Decline bench machine Hammer Strength

270 x 12

270 x 12

180 x 15

180 x 20

Dumbbell Press

80's in each had x 10 reps

Had to leave, but still had a good short powerful workout.

Thanks for keeping the log! I've been reading it when you update it. Have fun training with VE (fatty) in DC. Wish I could go out there as well. Though I'd likely ditch most of the conference to hang out with my cousins I'd still be around for the training. Get some good photo's of the event and your training sessions.

Regards,

Sensless

• 2 weeks later...

I got a new PR in the Decline Bench during Vegan Vacation. I put up 270 lbs and almost got 280lbs. I've been really busy and in a different city each week for the past 3 weeks and have not had any days off for a bit over a month.

I've been taking a break from the gym because of my traveling, stress, etc.

But I'll get back down to business very soon.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes! It was actually your comments Sensless that kept me going on this log when I updated it daily last month. I'll do that again soon.

VE is awesome! I'd love to train with him on a regular basis. What a treat!

I'm glad to hear my chiding was useful! Ryan has suffered through it for years and anytime he really wants a good workout he calls me up so I can make him suffer again and motivate him (that's why he often gets PR's when training with me, the hatred!).

Perhaps sometime we can try to train together. Get some solid abuse with the iron in.

Good work on the decline. I used to use that (when I benched on a regular basis) to get comfortable with heavier weights in my hands and it helped my flat bench increase dramatically.

I look forward to the frequent updates again!

Perhaps if I start training with any sort of plan I'll start posting a journal again, but with the wedding planning going on my training is sporadic and unorganized at best. After the wedding it will be the solid effort I enjoy.

Regards,

Sensless

Yeah, to be honest, I really got after it in the gym and keeping a journal when you kept prodding me to do so. It was helpful!

When is your wedding? That is exciting!

I'll get back at it soon. I had some good lifts recently so I want to keep that momentum going. I really think 300lbs in the decline isn't too far off. I almost got 280 and I was recoving from being sick and was short on sleep that day.

So I'm getting there. I'll keep the journal going again soon. If not, I'm sure I'll hear about it from you

Best of luck with wedding planning!

davidtarrfoster and I trained upper body today. I'm too tired to write out the whole list but we did 2 exercises for chest, back, shoulders, biceps and triceps. We were there a little longer than 90 minutes, so we'll cut it down a bit for next time.

It is great to be back in the gym! Then we watched bodybuilding videos and ate Thai food and had some Vega

I trained Legs today.

I started with 10 minutes on a cardio machine.

Then I warmed up with no weight on the hack squat and leg press machines.

Then I got after it.

Leg Press

180 x 15

270 x 15

360 x 12

450 x 12

Hack Squats

90 x 12

90 x 12

90 x 12

140 x 12

140 x 12

160 x 12

Lunges

40lb dumbbells in each hand

20 reps

20 reps

20 reps

All done. A little less than an hour total.