Introduction from Texas

liz halliburton

Hi! I am Liz from Texas. I am new(ish) to the vegan world. My boyfriend and I decided to go vegan together after watching "Super Size Me". We already knew that we should be healthier, but that movie was the proverbial icing on the cake. That was summer '05.

I tend to stay on the vegan "wagon", sometimes I slip, but I usually jump right back on. It has been a great experience for us together. I think that we were lucky to have eachother's support through the switch, or I may not have been able to make it stick.

Over the past year and a half I have lost 65lbs. through a regular diet, then a vegan diet, and better exercise. I started getting into triathlons last summer and continue to train for this season. I now have become interested in weight training. I know that in my younger years that I was always pretty strong and healthy, but after having my daughter in '02 I began to let things "go". It is exciting for me to get going again. I really like to push myself, and with Jay's ongoing support, I know that I can do well. We are looking forward to the Summer Shape Up.

Veganism is not for us so much a political statement as it is a health issue. We just know that we can't be putting toxins in our bodies anymore.

I know this could have been a shorter intro, but I hope you liked it anyway!!!

Go Vegan!---Liz

Thanks for the intro Liz. Welcome! Great to have you here. I know you and Jay will enjoy the Summer Shape Up Challenge. The Spring Shape Up Challenge participants made some awesome transformations!

I also enjoyed Super Size me and I'm glad documentaries like that are out there to show how unhealthy that lifestyle is.

Again, welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy your time here!

It is getting more and more stressful, Texas is making a major comeback after I recruited all the Portland and Salem folks. So things will change soon

I love seeing all the people from Texas on here, but it reminds me I'm not working hard enough to get the Oregonians in my own community to join our forum. That's it......back to work for me!

Welcome aboard!

I actually didn't want to have that feel, because other forums can have that feel to it and it can leave others left out

We just started doing all kinds of stuff in Oregon (meet-ups every week, etc.) and a lot of the Oregon members have been pretty active.

I actually warned against it when Topher, Megan and I lived together and Kourtney (vamprilla) was just down the street. I didn't want us to just chat amongst ourselves on the board.

Meet-ups are great and I think that is why we've had so much fun talking about them. I'll work on recruiting more California folks.

Again.....welcome Liz

I actually want you guys to be recruiting. I've been hanging out with stove6 (Steve from Dallas area) and he is really looking forward to meeing some Texas folks in person. We just had a good ol forum meet-up in Portland for dinner and there were 11 of us there including:

loveliberate, xdarthveganx, andesuma, davidtarrfoster and myself (others were family members of forum members).

I hope a bunch of you in Texas can get together soon. I know you all live in various areas of the state but I"m sure some of you are close to each other.

Have fun!

Thanks again for the dinner. For those of you who have not been to Portland, you must go to Proper Eats. The food there was absolutely 5 stars! Some of the entrees included Tempeh Tacos, Hummus with Veggies, and a smoothie that contained Kombucha. I do not think that I have had a better smoothie any where else.

(The average carnivore does not know what they are missing!)

For those who do not know, I live in Mansfield which is just south of Arlington Texas.

Anybody else from DFW area?

Steve

'Vegan Power'

• 3 weeks later...