Bryant Gumbel's ESPN Steroid report...

Bryant Gumbel hosts a late night ESPN (maybe it was HBO?) sports show that I saw two weeks ago while sitting in a hotel room.

He and Armein Keteyan did an hour (1/2 hour) long investigation of steroids.

There conclusion: Steroids, when used properly have no adverse affects on healthy males. They reported, in the 80's when congress was debating whether to make steroids illegal, that the FDA and AMA presented cases that there was no reason to outlaw them.

They quited Lyle Alzado's Doc as saying that Lyle's tumor had nothing to do with steroids. They interviewed a 70 year old bodybuilder who looks 50, he's been using (properly according to him) for 30 years. He was once sent to prison for 2 years for peddling juice. Now he gets his steroids from an anti-aging/wellness center. He looked good. His physique was beyond belief for a 70 year old.

They had John Ramano on and he said there is no proof steroids cause physical issues when taken appropriately.

I am not saying all of this is good, I just wonder if anyone else saw it, and had any comment?

Jon

Whats the name of the 70 year old?

As for no adverse affects, that is true. There is using and there is "abusing". Another reason why you need to know what you are doing before you even take it.

www.steroidology.com

I don't know what the fellows name was. He looked unbelievable though.

And that should have been quoted Lyle Alzado's doc, not quited.

Jon

You know Kollision,

If I remember correctly they were saying the injected steroids were safer than the orals.

Since I don't know anything about steroids I wouldn't know. But overall I found the show interesting.

Jon

the old guy might have been serge nubret, a bb in the 70's (you might remember him from pumping iron, came in 2nd to arnold at the 75 olympia.) i didn't see the special, but serge still competes and looks incredible for his age. about the effects of AAS, they seemed to have left out some very important factors such as increased hypertension, which, if strikes an unlucky person with heart problems unbeknownst to him at the time..well..oops. also, long term AAS use negatively affects just about everyone. they just mentioned the lucky ones to state their claim lol. the point is that the use of AAS is dangerous in both the short and long terms. Whether to use them or not depends on your own priorities.

and yes, injectables are safer than orals...easier on kidneys, liver etc.

Well steroids would be much safer if they weren't illegal! One could get screened for heart problems etc. before starting and get regular health monitoring.

Why can you go to a doctor and get fake breasts, calves and glutes implanted. Get your face ripped off your head and repositioned. Get the fat sucked out of your body. All of these operations are extremely dangerous and done for cosmetic reasons and are completely legal. Why should the relatively safe steroid be illegal?

I don't use steroids or any other drugs for that matter, but their being illegal is the main problem with any of them.

i have an ethical problem with steroids as if you take them, the physique is just as fake as if you had breast implants or botox. what is point in cheating your way towards a good physique? the only person you cheat is yourself, as you know that it isnt your hard work and attention to diet that has built your body.

i dont care whether they are illegal or not or which is more affective.

jonathan

the old guy might have been serge nubret, a bb in the 70's (you might remember him from pumping iron, came in 2nd to arnold at the 75 olympia.) i didn't see the special, but serge still competes and looks incredible for his age. about the effects of AAS, they seemed to have left out some very important factors such as increased hypertension, which, if strikes an unlucky person with heart problems unbeknownst to him at the time..well..oops. also, long term AAS use negatively affects just about everyone. they just mentioned the lucky ones to state their claim lol. the point is that the use of AAS is dangerous in both the short and long terms. Whether to use them or not depends on your own priorities.

and yes, injectables are safer than orals...easier on kidneys, liver etc.

It wasn't Serge Nubret, I know who he is.

Having watched the show, and thought it out over the last couple of weeks, I wonder if it isn't big media trying to justify, and prepare the sports public in accepting anabolic steroids? Kind of the Joseph Goebbles approach? Just keep feeding the masses half truths (or in his case, no truths), and eventually they will acquiese.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...
i have an ethical problem with steroids as if you take them, the physique is just as fake as if you had breast implants or botox. what is point in cheating your way towards a good physique? the only person you cheat is yourself, as you know that it isnt your hard work and attention to diet that has built your body.

i dont care whether they are illegal or not or which is more affective.

jonathan

The same could be said then for any suppliments that one would take. Even even eating excessive ammounts of certain foods would fit into that 'fake' category. It seems that you can't see through your pre-concieved notions about anabolics.

I do not use steroids however I don't believe that they should be illegal. I do not bilieve that they are nearly as harmful as they are claimed to be if used properly.