DO you have to...

What's the definition of 'Body Builder'? I always thought that a body builder is just someone who is trying to develop their muscles in some way. A professional body builder is a job, where you earn money because of your body in one way or another, through contests or I guess in acting, or commercials?

What's the definition of 'Body Builder'? I always thought that a body builder is just someone who is trying to develop their muscles in some way.

I agree. I don't think you have to have 2% body fat and oiled up on stage in a speedo to be a bodybuilder.

I work to build size and strength and don't worry much about body fat. It's just a hobby really, lifting up heavy things and sitting them back down again.

Actor or extra - shows often want a beefy guy to just stand around. Or they want a buff guy as the lead, lots of stars have got where they are due to their body, they can't act for shit.

The question seems a bit strange to me it's like asking what can a swimmer do? Someone who swims can be a life guard, or compete in a swimming competish (competition). Neither of which are appealing. But I think most people who swim don't do it as a career, and most people who lift weights don't do it with a career in mind

In terms of job's specific to bobybuilders, competing is one of the few options available as well as those already posted - bouncer/doorman/security, bodyguard, personal trainer or gym owner. Some will also get work as physique models. Some also get sponsored for endorsing supplements, but that only applies to a few pro's.

However, I believe very few professional bodybuilders earn enough to be able to earn their living solely through bodybuilding. Most competitive bodybuilders - at whatever level - still hold down jobs.

Think of all those who enter competitions - only a small proportion of those will come away with any prize money. So even if you wanted to earn your living from bodybuilding, very few people are actually able to do so.

Most people just bodybuild because they are into health and fitness. I agree with Richard here - I class a bodybuilder as anyone who seeks to develop their physique - to lose fat and develop muscle. I include those who also do other activities apart from weight training to improve their physique.

However, most people's perception of a 'bodybuilder' would be a huge, steroid consuming freak.

Most people do it as a hobby. They just like to stay in shape. It's addictive and a great way to unwind. Some people take it further than other's in terms of amount of time spent training, diet and supplementation ( both legal and illegal ).

The vast majority of people who bodybuild do not compete.

Yes, there are a variety of "jobs" a bodybuilder or fitness model can do, such as the ones listed.

Some will also get work as physique models. Some also get sponsored for endorsing supplements, but that only applies to a few pro's.

This does not only apply to Pro Bodybuilders. There are many amateur bodybuilders who make more money from endorsements than most pro bodybuilders ever will. It all comes down to marketing. Some guys and girls are really marketable. Matt Duvall, for example, had sponsorship deals 10 years before he turned pro because he had a marketable look. And now Chris Cook is the new pretty boy because he has spiked bleached blonde hair. He looks pretty good but there are far better physiques.

So a lot of people do it based on what their body (and face, hair, etc.) looks like, Pro or not. and others (established bodybuilders) use their name (Jay Cutler, Ronnie Coleman, etc.).

As mentioned, prize money in bodybuilding is very low and only a few get it. Sometimes it does not even compensate the cost of contest preparation, many times that is the case, actually. The real money is in the product/clothing/supplement endorsements.

I've been sponsored by a few companies currently and in the past. I pretty much only get free supplements, clothing, lifting gloves, etc. Others, involve cash, and sometimes lots of it, deals worth six figures, I dont' know the details but over $100,000 are not too uncommon for Weider athletes and I imagine Muscle-Tech guys are the same.

Modeling can go well too. I've done a bit of that, but at the level I've done it at, it doesn't bring in much money.

Basically bodybuilders/fitness athletes can do any jobs just like anyone else, but they do have that special look that is needed in some movies, photo shoots, TV shows, etc, as mentioned already as well.

I agree with Tarz that most will have to have a regular job as well. Bodybuilding alone will probably not be the sole income for many, unless they have books, videos, clothing products out there and have a nice endorsement contract.

Most do it to be healthy, for a hobby, and because they have goals and set a high standard for themselves athletically, everything else like publicity and attention and money are secondary.

-Robert