What is your last meal of the day?

I keep reading conflicting viewpoints about how late one should eat. There seems to be two schools of thought:

A. Eating before you go to bed is good because it keeps your metabolism pumping through the night.

OR...

B. Eating before you go to bed is bad because your body cannot digest the food since you are sleeping.

To top that off, there are two other schools of thought about WHAT kinds of food should be in your last meal of the day

A. You should avoid carbs at night since you won't be using them, and you'll get fat.

OR.....

B. You should eat carbs because they are good for you anyways.

NOW, to my point. I eat a lot of complex carbohydrates throughtout the day. I am also a dedicated runner, so I know I need them. But I don't know if I need them for my last meal. However, it's hard to find a carb-free meal on a vegan diet. What do I eat? Fruits have carbs. Grains have carbs. Fake meats have carbs??

Tonite for my last meal, I stir fried up some soy sausage, mushrooms, and kale. I don't know if I should be eating this, or something like a bowl of oatmeal.

Any takers on this timeless dilema in the bodybuilding/fitness realm?

Well, I have been reading new stuides that show that your body does a lot of digesting even while you sleep. If you want to feel safe and in the middle though, you could always just not overload on carbs before bed, and instead go for things like fats and proteins (nuts, seeds and avocados come to mind) before you go to sleep.

I usually eat before I go to sleep, otherwise I'll wake up in the morning with a headache

I eat before bed too. I don't wake up with a headache, but I feel lethargic and it's hard to get moving in the morning, and sometimes I'll just sleep a couple extra hours and feel like a waste.

It all depends on how much training I am doing. When I do lots of cardio (training for marathon or long distance cycling) I'll eat before bed.

Right now, I'll have a small protein shake if hungry, or a piece of fruit; but I don't make it a point to eat before bed, and in fact try to avoid it.

• 3 weeks later...

It doesnt matter when you eat, it only matters what you eat. Personally I love to eat before bed as to avoid low blood sugar during the night. If you have very bad nightmares, it could mean your sugar is getting too low in the night. In order to keep it up, you want to eat complex carbs, maybe some long grain rice and a glass of almond milk, or anything high in fiber. My personal fave would be a salad with fake bacon bits, and a cucumber with the peal. Always include the fiber bc it contains the complex carbs that keep your sugar level through the night. Avoid foods high in sugar before bed, because that would cause your sugar to drop just as soon as it has been elevated, leaving you with nightmares.

Well, I have been reading new stuides that show that your body does a lot of digesting even while you sleep. If you want to feel safe and in the middle though, you could always just not overload on carbs before bed, and instead go for things like fats and proteins (nuts, seeds and avocados come to mind) before you go to sleep.

I try not to eat 2 hours before bed. My last meal (prior to the 2 hours) is generally high protein and fat such as nuts and avacados or olives (I love olives).