Professional athlete considering veganism!!!!Please help!

I am a 24 year old professional MMA fighter (aka cage fighter) that is interested in veganism. I currently eat pretty healthy but am really interested in this subject. My main concern is being able to sustain my muscle mass, strength, body fat composition, and athletic performance in general.

Everyone always says that you need protein every 2 hrs and that you have to at least at least 1 gram of protein to every pound of your bodyweight....

But I can't help but notice that alot of dudes in prison get pretty fuckin swoll and I know they dont have access to that kind of protein.....no to mention the muscle mass sustained by gorillas and horses....

PLEASE GET BACK TO ME!

Thanks!

WM

Welcome to the forum! I've been up for 20 hours so I'll have to sleep and then get back to you. Thanks for joining our group.

I've also wondered about how prison inmates can get so muscular eating only a few meals per day.

You'll be happy to know there are a bunch of successful pro and elite athletes who are Vegan. We have a few lists floating around here of who they are. But they are out there.

We also have a bunch of MMA fighters and fans on this forum so you should have fun with it.

I'll give you some nutrition ideas for what to eat as a vegan athlete and I'm sure many others will as well.

I gotta get to bed now, but thanks for joining us and check back in on us anytime.

All the best,

Robert

I fought pro-MMA for a couple years. One thing you know about Mixed Martial Arts, its a competition of skill...not brut strength. One thing that helped me excel in that line of fighting was my endurance. Sure I had to make sure I had the strength to push the guys in my division around, but being able to do it longer is what put me over the top.

Like everyone on this forum will tell you, you just don't ignore the various sources of protein. If you do that and do a good job lifting, you'll have enough strength to push anyone in your weight class around. It's just that when you make it to round 2...you'll be hitting a heck of a lot harder than the other guy is is winded.

war machine,

you wouldn't be the first or last professional athlete to go vegan. in fact there is a very successful MMA athlete Mac Danzig who is vegan. i would suggest rice protein as a good protein supplement. i make a killer shake that is 1/4 cup rice protein, 2 cups soymilk, 1/2 cup instant oatmeal, 2 tbsp peanut butter and a banana. it nets 800 calories and 60 grams of protein. the most expensive ingredient is the soymilk and it still comes out to less than $1.50 per shake. anyway, good luck. you'll be doing yourself a favor going vegan like many other top level athletes have.