Dairy products and the lungs....

I constantly cough up mucus. For as long as I can remember it seems like Ive had this problem. I also use to get bronchitis all the time...strep throat too.

I saw a hollistic doctor and she told me I had an allergy to dairy and not to eat it. Sooo I havent for a long time and I think its helped cuz I havent gotten any of the two above mentioned illnesses as often as I use to.

BUT the stupid mucus is still there.

Anyways, I do use a whey protein supplement and a student of mine mentioned that he had/has the same problem and that he had to switch to a soy protein source for shakes rather than whey.....he said that some peoples bodies cant digest dairy and deposit it into the lungs??

I know whey comes from dairy but I thought it was really clean and lactose free and all that?? Could the whey be the cause of my problem or do I need to look somewhere else...

Can anyone shine any light on this whole situation??

Thanx

WM

Avatar is a lil on the big side. Maybe just on my screen?

Meanwhile -

Dairy. I used to get regular sinus infections. Like clockwork. I cut out dairy and they disappeared. Others can comment on the function and phsyics of it all I am sure but in short getting rid of dairy, all dairy in my experience, really cleared me up. Now the only trouble I have is from lots of mold in an environment or cig smoke.

You might also have an allergy to casein along with lactose. Either way though I would think the protein powder to be even more concentrated dairy protein than just drinking milk, not really a cleaner form as you put it. You might as well stop taking it for I'm guessing a month...maybe longer, but stop and see if your ailments dissapear.

Whey is milk-derived, so that'll still be giving you probs if your body has difficulty with dairy.

I have asthma, and I used to have it moderately bad when I was vegetarian (still consuming dairy products). Then I went vegan in 2000, and since then I basically have no asthma, only on foggy or humid days, and even then it's nothing too bad. I used to have a nebulizer (breathing apparatus with a mask), but I haven't used that in years.

Out of all the bad things in dairy I rank them as follows

1.Casein

2.Whey

3.Lactose/lactate

4.Calcium Lactate-most often not from milk but sometimes it is...not a good calcium source no matter what it comes from in my opinion

Lactose is just sugar and it does cause problems for people but I feel casein and whey are far worse...they are hard to process just like lactose but when the are processed they reak your body of calcium, increase triglyceride levels and simply make you feel like crap...lactose may just make you crap