Hello

Purrpuss

Hello,

Need to state from the start, I am an extremely unfit vegan who is looking for inspiration, advice and the occasional verbal kick up the rear.

At the moment my exercise is walking the dogs and doing a yoga dvd, but am now wanting to do more. I own no exercise euipment, and do not have gym membership. Any ideas where to start ?

Robert, any chance I can start in the 100/100 club at 20/20 ? and if so what is the safest way to do them ? (and yes I really am that clueless ) Any advice appreciated.

Woofs and purr

Purrpuss

Hey man, are you the same person from vegansrock.net? Welcome to the forum, it kicks my ass I like it.

You can start to do some fitness and stuff without any exquipment, doing things like press-ups / push-ups, sit-ups and crunches, squats, star-jumps and shadow-boxing (!).

Also a cheap and easy way to start with weight-training is to buy a simple set of adjustable dumb-bells. You can pick up a pretty decent set for like £25 or something, and this allows you to do various things; they normally come with a sheet with example techniques on, but you could ask on here what to do with them.

Hello Purrpuss,

Welcome to the group! Great to have you here.

20/20 is a start! I'm sure you'll be up to 100/100 soon. Remember those are totals for the entire day. So even if you do sets of 5 or 10, you can add up to 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups for the whole day pretty quickly.

I agree with the others, please tell us a bit more about yourself. We're happy to have you here and we all become pretty close pretty quickly. We have a very supportive community here and some people who are quite funny and make entertaining posts. We have some pretty intense and serious discussions but we're all "vegan friends" so (hopefully) nobody ever gets offended here. We're pretty open and honest, but that usually seems to be the best way to address situations and topics.

Again.....welcome, and I hope to hear more from you soon.

-Robert

Hello and welcome Purrpuss,

Robert and Richard hit it right on the head. Start with Calisthenics (body exercises) and they should build up a good core for your current body frame. Then to improve, try to see if you can get a gym membership. If you know any one that goes to a gym, see if they can get a discount for you and add them on to your account, of course if they let you. Also some gyms have a 2 for 1 special where 2 people sign up for the price of one.

If you have any questions feel free to ask,

Greetings and welcome to the board!

Need to state from the start, I am an extremely unfit vegan who is looking for inspiration, advice and the occasional verbal kick up the rear.

At the moment my exercise is walking the dogs and doing a yoga dvd, but am now wanting to do more. I own no exercise euipment, and do not have gym membership. Any ideas where to start ? Confused

How is it going so far?

I, too, am out of shape, but I am exercising and eating better, and I am slowly making progress. I didn't really start to make progress until I realized that diet and exercise weren't something I needed to do until I lost some weight... rather, they were essential for me to create a new way of life for the rest of my life. So I am making small changes and working at them until they become habits, then I make some more changes.

So start slowly and focus on the things that you enjoy. If you take your dogs for a walk every day, maybe a good place to start is to go for longer walks or faster walks. Maybe take the dogs to the park and play frizbee. The hard part is training the dogs to throw the frizbee for you

Thanks for the advice and support guys it really is appreciated

Richard, yes, I do occasionally post on vegansrock, it's finding time to read it all !

Michael, I'm from Manchester, England, and if you're the person I think you may be, we know a few of the same folk If you are that same bod from, veganfitness then thanks to you I finally got around to reading 'The Obligate Carnivore', not that I needed convincing, just needed a few more recipes for the cats, who send purrs for the more exciting diet, esp as they've just stuffed themselfs on their cheezy sweet potato mince mush for breakfast LOL.

Kollision, thanks for the advice, and a question already (sorry). What exactly is calathenics ? Tried googling and got no where. Any book or dvd titles that I can get ?

Hi Sirdle, yep doing the same as yourself, little steps and little changes, but they do seem to be having an effect, which is encouraging. A nice idea about the frizbee, but when I suggested it to the girls (the dogs) the responce was a definate 'yeah right' LOL. When walking they have their own fixed agenda, to get as wet, muddy and grubby as they possible can, and then to generously share the dirt around LOL.

One of the reasons I want to get fitter is one of the girls. Last Nov I was asked to take on a seriously ill collie called Foxy. Her health has improved dramatically (since going vegan, coincidence I think not !), and she is now 2 yr and very active, doing well in training despite being deaf, and I'm now looking at possible doing some agility and/or flyball with her, both of which require a better degree of fitness from me than just strolling though the woods or by the river. Ok, will stop now, as can bore for England about the girls

Hello Purrpuss.

Don't be sorry, feel free to ask anything. Calisthenics means body exercises. It's when you use your own weight in exercises. Push ups, crunches, Russian Twists, Squats, etc. are all examples of calisthenics.

Also, I am glad and thankful to hear how you take care of ill animals. I am glad to hear that she is doing very good now thanks to your tender loving care. More respect to ya.

Also, keep on talking. Not boring for me