Michael is Pumping Iron in Steel City!

Okay, finally gotten motivated to post a training journal here. I matched my Personal Best on the deadlift today, so thought it would be a good time to share. There is a good 8 months of history on Vegan Fitness if anyone cares. This log is just going to be a mirror of that log which I will continue to maintain. http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51806

Deadlift day in style! Lifted 435 pounds for the first time since I first managed it 4 months ago on April 13th. It went up really slowly and overloaded my lower back just a wee bit. I'll back off for a few weeks and then it's over the top with a new PB!

Monday - Deadlifts

5x135 pounds

4x225

3x315

1x365

1x435

1x315 to rack the weight

Lat Pull Down, Wide Grip -

6x170

5x180

4x190

3x200

2x210

Hammer Strength Low Row - 12x150 pounds with slow negatives

Machine Bicep Curls -

6x100

5x110

4x120

3x130

Dumbel Hammer Curls - 10x35 pounds each

Barbel Curls - 10x70 pounds

Edited by michaelhobson

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good my Iron Brother.

Glad to see you start a journal too. Ever since I started mine 3-4 weeks ago I have NOT missed a single scheduled workout. Previously I would maybe put off a workout until the next day, but now I find time everytime to get it in, and hit it hard!

You're strong, glad to know that you represent Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness when you train too!

Take care bro,

Robert

Thanks for the encouragement Rob and the cool shirt!

Feeling unbelievably strong again today! But, where is a spotter when you need one? The benching area in my gym is a good 10 meters from the rest of the free weights. I wanted to go for a new PB, could have easily knocked out 113kg. Not a soul even within shouting distance other than two old ladies on treadmills. Bollocks!

Tuesday - Bench Press

5x135 pounds

5x155

5x185

3x205

1x215

1x225

1x235 Felt more like 200. Could have easily pressed 250, but couldn't try it with no spotter. I know I would get afraid of the bar and screw it up. Oh well, there will be another day. Finished up with 8x185.

Dumbel Incline Press - 4x75pounds each

Dumbel Flye - 10x35pounds each

Tricep Press Down - 2x10x100 pounds

I feel like I'm making progress for the first time in months.

Nice shoulder workout today.

Wednesday -

Barbel Shoulder Press

10x45 pounds

5x95

4x115

3x125

2x135

1x140 I don't know my max on this exercise, but before today have never done more than 125. Looks like it's time to up the weight!

Dumbel Shoulder Press - 10x50 pounds each

Barbel Upright Row - 3x5x100 pounds

And a little back work...

Pull Downs -

5x170 pounds

5x180

5x190

5x200

Hammer Strength Low Row - 12x150pounds

455 Pound Deadlift Today

Today should have been Squat Day, but I have been obsessed with deadlifting this week and don't really like squats anyway. So after a very stressful morning, I decided to do what I wanted not what I needed.

The 365 went up so easily, but I still had a hard time deciding to go for a new PB. I was still feeling Monday's lifts in my back muscles, but went for it anyway. My liftoff has become really solid and the 455 came off the ground easily! I struggled on the lockout as I did with 435 on Monday, but I refused to give up and locked it out. The grip in my right hand was starting to fail, I made it just in time!

I must have been quite the sight, grunting and straining. I even saw a wad of spit fly straight up in to the air!

Deadlifts -

5x135 pounds

3x225

1x315

1x365

1x455 New PB by 20 pounds! (206.4kg)

1x315 to rack the weight.

Bench Press - Finished up with a little light benching.

5x135

3x185

1x205

3x1x225

Thanks Jonathan for introducing me to Dinosaur Training, 24 reps for my entire workout.

PS Rob, I was wearing my Vegan Bodybuilding tee today!

bloody right i am! i bet you were a bit pissed when i sailed off into the distance on the strength board on veganfitness!

besides, i dont really find you annoying - only when you lift more than me! you still got 40lbs til you catch me on the bench

love (just to prove i dont find you annoying!)

jonathan

Wow, impressive lift Michael!

Really good job!

Thannks K! Definitely didn't stiff leg that weight. How can you despise deadlifts? That's my favorite lift.

You're right, i always loved this exercise!!

It's sad but i can't do them anymore, after an accident my knee is... wrecked I do stiffed leg deadlift, though. After the surgery not quite 3 years ago i started with the bar alone, now i do 145kg for 5 reps (don't go below 5 reps on this exercise). I'm coming near my old strength, that was 190kg for one rep

Wow, you strong guys really motivate me!

Congrats on the lift mate.

Deadlift is something that I really despise. Was this stiff legged deadlift or just deadlift? Either way, thats a lot of weight...

Thannks K! Definitely didn't stiff leg that weight. How can you despise deadlifts? That's my favorite lift.

Those things are so hard thats why! I wish I did do them in the past though because now i have to start with 20's on each side! Don't laugh Of course thats with the stiff legged version. Im not sure about the regular deadlift though, but I doubt I can do even close to that!

I do stiffed leg deadlift, though. After the surgery not quite 3 years ago i started with the bar alone, now i do 145kg for 5 reps (don't go below 5 reps on this exercise). I'm coming near my old strength, that was 190kg for one re

WHAT THE!? STIFF LEGGED 145 KG?!?!? Thats 319 lbs!!!

Congrats on the lift mate.

Deadlift is something that I really despise. Was this stiff legged deadlift or just deadlift? Either way, thats a lot of weight...

Those things are so hard thats why! I wish I did do them in the past though because now i have to start with 20's on each side! Don't laugh Of course thats with the stiff legged version. Im not sure about the regular deadlift though, but I doubt I can do even close to that!

Kollision man, you are a big dude. I bet you could easily deadlift 300+ on your first try. Just load it up and pull.

I do stiffed leg deadlift, though. After the surgery not quite 3 years ago i started with the bar alone, now i do 145kg for 5 reps (don't go below 5 reps on this exercise). I'm coming near my old strength, that was 190kg for one re

WHAT THE!? STIFF LEGGED 145 KG?!?!? Thats 319 lbs!!!

That is an awesome SLDL Daywalker. I may have to try those, haven't ever bothered. I'm always doing the full deadlift. Good work too recovering from your surgery and then stiff legging 145kg! That is awesome, many would have just given up.

Tuesday -

Barbel Shoulder Press -

5x95 pounds

4x105

3x125

2x135

1x145 - 5 pounds up on my pb

fx155

Barbel Bent Over Row (back) - 3x8x135 pounds

Barbel Upright Row (Shoulders) - 3x6x100 pounds

Machine Bicep Curls -

6x80 pounds

5x100

3x120

2x140

1x160 partial rep

10x100

Dips - 2x15xbodyweight

Machine Leg Press - 20x400 pounds (just to get some blood flowing)

Nothing really groundbreaking today, just a solid workout.

Thursday -

Barbel Bench Press -

5x135 pounds

4x185

3x205

2x215

3x1x225

2x225 My first double with 100kg!

Deadlift -

6x135 pounds

5x225

4x315

2x365

1x405

Met a cool 17 year old who worked in with me on deadlifts. He is 150 pounds after putting on 30 in the last year. He was surprised to learn that I only eat plants and weigh 240 pounds. I think it made a real impression when I pulled up 405 pounds without breaking a sweat.

Thursday -

Barbel Bench Press -

5x135 pounds

4x185

3x205

2x215

3x1x225

Deadlift -

6x135 pounds

5x225

4x315

2x365

1x405

Met a cool 17 year old who worked in with me on deadlifts. He is 150 pounds after putting on 30 in the last year. He was surprised to learn that I only eat plants and weigh 240 pounds. I think it made a real impression when I pulled up 405 pounds without breaking a sweat.

Congratulations on the double 225 mate! I didnt know you weighed 240, welcome to the super heavyweights with me I lost about 15 lbs so Im about 265 right now. That deadlift of yours is sick. So is that guy interested in veganism now or somethin'?

Congratulations on the double 225 mate! I didnt know you weighed 240, welcome to the super heavyweights with me I lost about 15 lbs so Im about 265 right now. That deadlift of yours is sick. So is that guy interested in veganism now or somethin'?

Thanks K! Some day I will catch up with your 475 pound bench pressing, but for now it's baby steps.

I didn't know you were up to 280 dude! That's insane, I guess you are cutting now? Or did you just stop eating everything you could get in your mouth. I hope you are doing some before and after pics. I want to hit 250+ this winter and then cut down in time for Vegan Vacation 2006!

I don't know if the guy is interested in veganism or not, he wasn't even sure what it meant until today. Since his goals are big and strong, I'm glad that's the first impression he got of veganism. There are a couple of weeks yet before he goes back to high school, I'll point him to this site before I don't see him any more.

Too bad you are so far away Kollision, we could get together and work on my bench and your deads.

Thanks K! Some day I will catch up with your 475 pound bench pressing, but for now it's baby steps.

I didn't know you were up to 280 dude! That's insane, I guess you are cutting now? Or did you just stop eating everything you could get in your mouth. I hope you are doing some before and after pics. I want to hit 250+ this winter and then cut down in time for Vegan Vacation 2006!

I don't know if the guy is interested in veganism or not, he wasn't even sure what it meant until today. Since his goals are big and strong, I'm glad that's the first impression he got of veganism. There are a couple of weeks yet before he goes back to high school, I'll point him to this site before I don't see him any more.

Too bad you are so far away Kollision, we could get together and work on my bench and your deads.

Ya bro, too bad we are so far away. Well when the Vegan Vacation comes, we can all finally meet! Theres two californians here, but all are over 300+ miles!

As for the weight loss, it does constitute because my aunt was here and my eating schedule wasn't up to par. My friends actually noticed that I got leaner because of my arm positions werent far out from my sides and my face. Darn...that means its gonna take even a longer time to hit 300 pounds.

I was watching Brock Lesnars Home Video and I want to become him once again!

Don't worry about the bench bro, you are almost their to your body weight.

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday - August 23

Barbel Shoulder Press -

5x95 pounds

4x105

3x125

2x135

1x145 - 5 pounds up on my pb

fx155

Barbel Bent Over Row (back) - 3x8x135 pounds

Barbel Upright Row (Shoulders) - 3x6x100 pounds

Machine Bicep Curls -

6x80 pounds

5x100

3x120

2x140

1x160 partial rep

10x100

Dips - 2x15xbodyweight

Machine Leg Press - 20x400 pounds (just to get some blood flowing)

Thursday - August 25

Barbel Bench Press -

5x135 pounds

4x185

3x205

2x215

3x1x225

Deadlift -

6x135 pounds

5x225

4x315

2x365

1x405