Protein, is eating too much harmful?

Freesia

I have heard two things consistently, that it is hard on your body and it takes away calcium when you overdo protein.

What I have not heard consistently is how much is too much? I am pretty sure the old 1.5 gram per pound bodyweight is too much, but I heard a lot of different targets...

Thanks . I have heard both that it is 1-1.5 per kilogram and per pound.

I was just wondering, because it was suggested by someonen at another fitness forum that a 3oo pound woman eat 300 to 450 grams of protein to lose weight . This is by someone that seemed to be knowledgable about fitness and bodybuilding. I thought it was based on ideal body weight not current body weight. I was confused on that matter because someone very very obese would have to get much more and that would throw the ratio of carbs/fat/pro off unless much more calories were eaten, and that is not the goal for losing weight.

I was just wondering, because it was suggested by someonen at another fitness forum that a 3oo pound woman eat 300 to 450 grams of protein to lose weight .

That's ridiculous!

Protein is very acid-forming (especially animal protein, but too much veggie protein can be as well), which throws off your body chemistry and causes your body to either not absorb some alkaline minerals (like calcium) that are used to form bone, or to actually leach those minerals from the bone. It can also be hard on the kidneys, that have to work overtime to rid the body of the excess protein.

Andrew Weil states that excess protein is harmful to the immune system.

In studies on protein balance, it's been very hard to find a diet that is too low in protein, unless it is unbalanced (junk food, lots of processed foods, or high in citrus fruits).

Aiming for about 1 gm. of protein per KILOGRAM of body weight (1 km. = 2.2 pounds, so a little less than half your body weight in protein) or as much as 1 gm. per pound of body weight (though that may be an unnecessary amount) is a good range.

Thanks Katherine. I am glad to hear what I had been telling those ladies from someone else. I just didn't want some young people or those not familiar with nutritional guidlines to think that they need to load up on protein. There were a few ladies worried about how they would get up to 175 grams or more. All they kept saying is that no one is dropping dead, or that there is no studies to show that it is harmful.

I know that isn't true. Thanks

I think extrem protein intake can be fine but it should never be the mass of your diet...eating lots of carbs from fruits and veggies as well as some grains for extra calories should do the trick.