Iced Tea Question

Alex

Is it bad if you consume to much iced tea? I drink non-sweetened (hate sweetened stuff) black tea most, and green tea sometimes. I get a box of Tejava black tea from Trader Joes. I drink around half a bottle to three bottles a day, I love the stuff. I sometimes drink the cheap stuff from fast food and resturants, but not to often.

So does any one know if its bad to drink a lot of natural non- sweetened iced tea. It's what I consider, "my beer" hahah, since I hate alchohal.

Well, tea contains oxalates and that makes calcium unabsorbable to you (while it is in your system) If you eat a food high in calcium and drink tea with it, you excrete the calcium and that means your kidneys must process it, after time this causes stones. Kidney stones are very very painful (sometimes even compared to child birth pains) and should be avoided if at all possible. You should at least take breaks from the tea, but by all means drink it, it really is healthy.

Remember, too much of a good thing...

I would agree with Barbie to the extent than one should be moderate with teas, especially, black, though.

If you love tea, switch to green and white teas. They are delicious and alkalinizing to the body. A recent study showed that green tea does not dehydrate as once believed.

You could also try subbing rooibos or, my fave, honeybush tisanes for the black tea, which are caffeine free. They are very nutritious. That company even offers a yummy Green Rooibos, which is more nutritious than the red rooibos or even green tea.

Or get into yerba mates, which I love; they contain about the same amount of caffeine as green teas, which is about 1/3 that of coffee: Guayaki brand is my favorite .

I agree with Raven.

Green, white, red (rooibos) and yerba maté teas are the best.

Raven: I've never heard of green rooibos. I though rooibos was from the flower of some plant (not related to tea at all) and that honeybush was just another name for it.

kat, it's not a tea, it's a tisane, which is just the name for an herbal "tea."

The green rooibos is just a young red rooibos, sort of like how white is a young, and/or unfermented green.

And honeybush is a different plant from rooibos. I love it it's really yummy and does have a light honey flavor.

What's your favorite mate brand?

I used to drink loads of it a day, but now I don't drink as much, only when I'm cleansing. I brew my own, put it in used water bottles and refridgerate, it's much cheaper then store bought tea too.

Good idea, I'll brew my own red, green or white tea and put them in some of my water bottles. I used to brew red tea and make it into iced tea(it was great), but lately I have been lazy. I used to drink more green tea than black. I starting drinking more black tea because my brother loves it so we got the box of black tea.

I'm gonna go back to drinking green tea, and only drink black tea a few times a week. Thanks VeganBarbie, kidney stones are not good at all, my mom had surgery for them a few years ago.

What's your favorite mate brand?

Actually, the only one I've tried so far is Wisdom herbs. Some tea bags, but mostly their instant (yerba maté and stevia), which is easy to add to a bottle of water when I'm at work or travelling. (In fact, that reminds me I have to order some more, because I'm almost out!)